Poll Second Amendment. (Votes are anonymous) (1 Viewer)

Second Amendment? Keep as is, better screening and regulation, repeal. (Votes are anonymous)

• Take all of the guns from civilians.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Keep as is.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Try to find a way to better regulate, better gun control.

Votes: 76 50.3%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 14 9.3%

• Total voters
You guys are totally missing the premise of my point... I was not talking about more government regulation on just anything... pollution, seat belts, or whatever other example that doesn't specifically include.... a commodity, product, merchandise, a service, or a substance that people in this country want and are willing to pay for... no matter the legal status of it.

That was the point. Every time the US government wants to make any of those things illegal or add more regulations to those things.... nothing (NOTHING) good ever comes of it.... in fact... it usually just has the effect I already outlined.

And citing what other countries have done is pointless as well... we are not those countries... we have our own culture, our own history, and are generally compulsive consumers with seemingly endless buying power. If we want it.... we'll get it.

Keep up guys.

You asked
Name one instance.... in which more regulation / more government / more prohibition has done anything but make the issue(s) worse
... and you received. You just didn't like the answers...

But if you want to stick with vices and illegal activities, do you think child sex trafficking would be better without regulations/government/prohibition?

I guess it depends on what do you think is "better" in that situation.

I think vehicle safety and traffic is an easy analogy. Anyone suggesting that having a government regulated system of vehicle safety and responsibile use is a bad thing is looney. Sure, it’s not always efficient but necessary.

You guys are totally missing the premise of my point... I was not talking about more government regulation on just anything... pollution, seat belts, or whatever other example that doesn't specifically include.... a commodity, product, merchandise, a service, or a substance that people in this country want and are willing to pay for... no matter the legal status of it.

That was the point. Every time the US government wants to make any of those things illegal or add more regulations to those things.... nothing (NOTHING) good ever comes of it.... in fact... it usually just has the effect I already outlined.

And citing what other countries have done is pointless as well... we are not those countries... we have our own culture, our own history, and are generally compulsive consumers with seemingly endless buying power. If we want it.... we'll get it.

Keep up guys.

Except even in that limited context, some regulations work.

They still make moonshine, but by and large, the booze you buy is safe and meets the stated strength because of government regulation. Outright prohibition doesn't work worth a damn, I'll happily concede that point.

But I'll maintain that the larger point still holds. A certain level of regulation is a good thing. It keeps us from dying of alcohol poisoning because the 30-proof liqueur we thought we were drinking turns out to be 160 proof flavored firewater.

I’m almost too bored to type things out anymore, which will make many happy. ?

Mental health. Until this is not viewed in such a negative light things will never change. Society views someone who overcomes physical adversity as a hero of sorts. Brave. Kudos to them.

Anyone battling mental health issues has two basic choices:
1. Carry it alone. As they are ashamed. Eventually they may break.
2. Speak out, attempt to source the issue and get help, and be vilified, made fun of, looked down upon etc. Truly a sad vicious cycle. Mental Health is a huge issue here, and I suspect in many places.
Better laws, as just taking the guns would never work. And better mental health care.

We have a ton of gun control on the books, none of it has worked, nor will it ever.

That seems like a ridiculous statement. How do you know that waiting periods haven't reduced incidents of gun crime? How do you know that background checks haven't reduced incidents of gun crime? How do you know that classes of gun-restricted individuals hasn't reduced incidents of gun crime? How do you know that gun-manufacture regulations haven't reduced gun-related accidents?

We have a ton of gun control on the books, none of it has worked, nor will it ever.
Exactly. I think all of these mass shooters were able to buy a gun legally. Some had no history of a mental health disorder. Some did and still werent looked into. So new laws and regulations wouldnt stop a normal person from going nuts. They can still obtain a firearm legally.

That seems like a ridiculous statement. How do you know that waiting periods haven't reduced incidents of gun crime? How do you know that background checks haven't reduced incidents of gun crime? How do you know that classes of gun-restricted individuals hasn't reduced incidents of gun crime? How do you know that gun-manufacture regulations haven't reduced gun-related accidents?
Because if someone wants to kill someone, what difference does 1 day or 3 days make? You really think they will change their mind over a waiting period?

We have background checks in place. Some of those mass shooters slipped through it.

Gun crime is at an all time low and it keeps decreasing every year regardless of the number of people, or the number of firearms produced.

Exactly. I think all of these mass shooters were able to buy a gun legally. Some had no history of a mental health disorder. Some did and still werent looked into. So new laws and regulations wouldnt stop a normal person from going nuts. They can still obtain a firearm legally.

But some did have a history that a competent regime could have mitigated. It seems like every few years we get new technologies that make cars better able to avoid or mitigate accidents - I don't think I have ever heard anyone say "this new safety feature isn't going to prevent all accidents so I don't think we should do it." :shrug:

so why do you think the US is so much more vulnerable to all gun crimes/violence (including suicide, domestic violence, et al) than any other industrialized country?
by order of magnitude

OK so how do you stop the ones that have no history of mental disorders? If they decide to snap next year, there is nothing preventing that and it would be impossible to do so.

Okay, so what? What do you tell the families of the deceased who were shot by someone with a history? "We're sorry for your loss but we didn't think it was worth the trouble because we could never stop all gun deaths"?

I don't know about 'gun crime' but gun deaths aren't at an all-time low.

Firearm-related deaths rate U.S. by gender 1970-2016 | Statistic

Number of homicides by firearm in the U.S. 2006-2016 | Statistic

Infographic: Sharp Rise in U.S. Firearm Homicide Rate

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom