Secret to LSU success this year (for lsu fans who care about reading such stuff) (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
LSU has recruited well the last 8 years or so but what is most impressive is how many truly good players have been willing to stay and either wait their turn or be role players when they could have had so much more playing time at other schools. Given the talent on LSUs bench its amazing how few players over the last several years have left. I think its a credit to the caliber of players the coaches are recruiting and the job the coaches are doing keeping players motivated. I have done my share of coaching kids in little league and at lower levels. Spreading out playing time and keeping kids(and their parents) happy might be the hardest part of coaching.

Special recognition for me goes out to the following kids:

Matt Flynn: I am a team guy and my boy played qb in high school. I honestly do not know if I could have watched him sit three years on the bench if I thought he could have started as a sophomore at another school. With Jamarcus Russell in the same class, there was no guarantee Flynn would ever have started had Russell not gone pro early. I give props to Flynn for staying and to the coaches for somehow keeping him motivated.

Ryan Perrilloux: We probably would not have been in the national championship game if Perrilloux had not stuck it out through some rough times. I dont know what other back up could come into the sec championship game with no real starting experience and not just not lose the game, but win it. Perrilloux has often been described as being a problem kid with a big head. But he stuck it out at LSU and said all the rights things after the championship game complimenting Matt Flynn. For all his problems Ryan has never whined about playing time and has been very unselfish. He could have been a distraction heading into the big game as an argument could have been made he gave us a better chance to win than Flynn. I tip my hat to him for sticking it out, I thought he might have been long gone by now.

Harry Coleman: This guy is a great example of why its worth it for a three star player who might be a stud at a TCU or a Southern Miss to gray shirt and bide his time at LSU. He had little expectation of hitting the field in the natl championship game, but when his number was called it was obvious how hard he had worked the whole season to be ready. Guys like Coleman give you the quality depth you need which was a big difference maker with Ohio State. His preparation was exceptional. His unexpected reward was playing his first big game in a national championship. Unselfish players who bide their time are the backbone of a championship team.

Keiland Williams, Charles Scott and Richard Murphy: Anyone of these guys could have left the team for more playing time or have been a huge distraction to the team. There was never hardly a hint of even subtle pouting. Hester played great but anyone of these three could have argued that they could have had as many or more yards with as many touches. Yes Hester didnt fumble much, but neither did this group. I wouldnt have blamed any of the three who transferred as anyone of them could be a feature back at a big school. Kudos to them for being unselfish and to the coaches for making it work. Next year when they get to divide Hester's touches among the three (with Holliday) it ought to be real interesting. We lose a great player with Hester but I think we will see some big yardage runs.

Ricky Jean Francois. Okay, raise your hand if when you heard Ricky Jean would miss the season and maybe be back for a bowl game that he would really work out with the team the whole season not playing and actually come back. Now raise your hand if you thought he would be defensive mvp of the national championship game. If you have not watched the game tape, watch the blocked field goal where he puts the Ohio State lineman on his butt and then watch later when the buckeyes had third and goal from the one and he blows the lineman back into Wells causing a three yard loss. Dorsey was a great lineman this year but I am not sure I ever saw him blow up lineman like this, and we are talking Ohio State 350 pound guys. I am not sure what Ricky Jean did to get suspended for a season but he gets big time points in my book for not only staying with the team but for staying in shape.

Ricky Dixon, Jared Mitchell, RJ Jackson and Chris Mitchell: Byrd, Lafell and Tolliver probably return as starters, and we still have four other four star receivers to push them. You never know when a kid is going to break out. The coaches must be doing something right to keep this truly sick amount of depth. Its the opposite of LSU basketball where Brady loses his prime developmental players every year. One or more of these four are going to contribute significantly next year. They would all be starting at half of the schools in the SEC now.

These are just a few examples that come to mind. LSU will reload this year because it has recruited so well, not just in the talent of the kids but they are getting kids who arent quitting if they dont get instant playing time. Its really incredible how many star players LSU gets to redshirt and there is nothing better than a team loaded with 5th yr players. How good are guys like Phelon Jones, Will Blakwell and Sidell Corley going to be when they are juniors and seniors?

LSU's football program is in great shape and will be for a long time. Les Miles is really doing a great job of getting talent. What he is doing better than any coach I can ever remember is keeping it.

Last edited:
Your post does a lot to explain why we are seeing the Golden Era of LSU football, not just a golden season. To more casual observers of Tiger football, Miles gets a lot of criticism of his seemingly reckless style in games and his awkward public persona, but Bertman saw some things in him that mattered more and that's why he was hired.

Great observations, st dude.

Good post. I agree with everything you said. I also think it goes back to the 2003 Nat'l Championship when some of the seniors stayed behind to play that year. That meant a lot to guys like Laron Landry and why he stayed for his senior year, then other guys followed in his foot steps. Every year now we have guys that could go on to make millions, but they stay. That means a lot to the underclassmen. Dorsey did it last year and it looks like T. Jackson, H. Johnson, D. Beckwith will all probably do it this year.

It's so good to be a LSU fan in the Golden Years!

Francois was suspended because of academic issues.

They have always said it had something to do with academics, I just didnt know if it was a cheating issue or him just not making the grades. Reading between the lines it seemed there was some incident that got him suspended.

Regardless, the point of the post was more to say that for whatever reason he got suspended its impressive he practiced with the team and ended up being a major contibutor in the sec and natl championship games.

I'm pretty sure it was just grades. Because he didn't make the grades he couldn't play that semester. The Champ game was played after the semester was over. I would assume he had to make his grades to be eligible.

If it was a suspension for something like cheating I would think they would suspend for the entire season.

Whatever the case, I'm glad he got his stuff together and I'm looking forward to him being a stud next year, all year.

It was grades, but I understand that the violation wasn't a team violation, but a parental violation. If that's the case, it's shows some serious character on Les Miles part for going along with it and Francois for rising above it. Most coaches wouldn't have sat a talent like Francois, especially after a serious injuries to the two starting DT's.

Good post, but alot of this was cut and pasted right off of Tigerbait. I hope you are the same guy.

Last edited:
Good post, but alot of this was cut and pasted right off of Tigerbait. I hope you are the same guy.

Its word for word from tiger bait. And I am the same guy.:surfing:

very nice...but less funny than I have grown accustomed to :)

Nice post. An article featured in last Thursday's TP talks about this ongoing issue as well as LSU recruiting in general. The guy quoted in the article (Allen Wallace, national recruiting editor of Scout.com) believes we haven't really had to deal with this problem just yet, but I disagree. The examples you've given are clearly ones of elite talents coming to LSU and waiting patiently for their opportunity. No doubt though, this will be something to keep an eye on in the next few years.

Ricky Jean Francois. Okay, raise your hand if when you heard Ricky Jean would miss the season and maybe be back for a bowl game that he would really work out with the team the whole season not playing and actually come back. Now raise your hand if you thought he would be defensive mvp of the national championship game. If you have not watched the game tape, watch the blocked field goal where he puts the Ohio State lineman on his butt and then watch later when the buckeyes had third and goal from the one and he blows the lineman back into Wells causing a three yard loss. Dorsey was a great lineman this year but I am not sure I ever saw him blow up lineman like this, and we are talking Ohio State 350 pound guys. I am not sure what Ricky Jean did to get suspended for a season but he gets big time points in my book for not only staying with the team but for staying in shape.

This play right here had me so fired up and amazed, I was like "holy $%#@!!!!, YEA!!!"

I mean they still scored on the 4th down on the next play If I remember correctly but that as just impressive and just shows you how much LSU(in this case Francois) owned the LOS after the 1st quarter.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom