Saints Seems like every other team expected to sign Bridgewater (Speculation) (1 Viewer)

I've been on the fence on whether or not a team would offer Teddy a multi-year starting QB contract. If even a few of these rumors are true, then I guess that would answer that. It's not that I don't think Teddy is Franchise material, because I do. Mostly I'm thinking how teams like new and shiny prospects with a rookie contract. Which is what I'd like to see happen here in New Orleans this year or next.

But that too is just my opinion. Mostly based on me wanting to keep the rest of our roster intact over the next 4 or 5 years.
Valid points, so what is a franchise QB? Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Drew, or Mahommes because neither TB or TH have shown anything like that so far.

Valid points, so what is a franchise QB? Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Drew, or Mahommes because neither TB or TH have shown anything like that so far.

It's all projection until it happens. I guess my idea of a franchise QB is a QB that a team locks up for 4 or more years and plans to build around. In that, even a rookie can be a franchise QB. That doesn't mean he'll live up to it, just the commitment a team is willing to put into the player.

I guess that's sort of jumbled thoughts... What I'm trying to say, is that IMO, I've had doubts if teams would see Teddy as their long term answer and be willing to commit that much to him. I have little doubt that if a team does go all in with Teddy, and the system fits, AND they surround him with enough talent, that he can be a QB that lives up to just about everyone's definition of a franchise QB.

So, by what you are saying, neither has had the opportunity to really show what they have, correct?
Correct, neither has gotten a full chance.
Tayson has not gotten a chance to be a nfl regular season starter and Teddy has never has never had a chance to drive the car with no restrictions (it's your team go ahead and sling it).
There is speculation in both camps.

Taysom has been very good at every position he has been slotted into. Those that argue he could never be a starter at any of them are nuts. Only 22 WR/TE in the NFL had more receiving TD s and only 15 had more total TDs. Those are stater numbers.

I don't think anybody could argue that Taysom isn't at least a viable TE2, RB3, WR3, or QB3. IMO, the only thing that's debatable is whether or not he could be or become a QB1. But that's not specific to Taysom. It's debatable for every QB drafted and every back-up on every team that has never had to start multiple games.

Here is a list of places where Bridgewater has shown the ability to be an accurate, efficient, cerebral and above-average starting quarterback against high level competition:
- In college at Louisville
- In the minds of hundreds of pro scouts and people who cover football and the draft
- In the NFL in Minnesota
- In the NFL with the Saints

Here is a list of places where Taysom has done the same:

The reason some people give Bridgewater more "credit" or whatever you're seeking is because Bridgewater has actually proven his ability. Taysom's is purely speculative and hoping to see something that he's never shown before. We know Teddy is an above-average NFL starting QB who is still young with a lot of room to grow.

The poster who you're replying to (@No2DC ) really makes a great point, though. It's interesting that you and some others assume future growth out of Taysom Hill but not Teddy Bridgewater despite Hill being two and a half years older. Odd, considering Teddy scored higher on the Wonderlic test than Taysom did. Maybe Taysom just "seems" smarter to some people. :shrug:

Teddy and Taysom could become the next Drew Brees and Steve Young... or they could become the next Marcus Mariotta and Tim Tebow. It's all hopes, prayers, and wild-*** guesses until it either happens or it doesn't.

That being said, it means that in all this speculation, nobody is wrong and nobody is right. Perfect syrup for a year-long Fan Forum debate.

What I am saying, such projections are meaningless.
Very few stats tell a story without context.

The context is Teddy proved he could lead this team to wins, and that he got the nod to start 5 crucial games because Payton trusted him over Taysom.

I love Taysom. But he has never shown the ability to be a QB1. He is best as a receiver/runner/utility knife and his career would be better served making that his focus.

I don't think anybody could argue that Taysom isn't at least a viable TE2, RB3, WR3, or QB3. IMO, the only thing that's debatable is whether or not he could be or become a QB1. But that's not specific to Taysom. It's debatable for every QB drafted and every back-up on every team that has never had to start multiple games.

That’s the gamble. Spot QB play here and there isn’t anywhere close to the same thing as taking every snap at QB in a game. We still don’t know exactly what we’ve got in Taysom as a full time QB. Great utility player, mystery as a QB. We know what Teddy brings to the table as a QB. A steady hand who won’t kill you with stupid mistakes. Explosive, exciting, last second game changer? No probably not but a guy capable of winning in the NFL.

“ If we average his five starts into 16 starts then Bridgewater would have finished with 3,856 yards, 29 touchdowns and six interceptions. The only quarterback to finish with 3,800+ passing yards, 29+ passing touchdowns and six or fewer interceptions this season was Russell Wilson.

It only happened in five instances in the entire decade, belonging to Wilson, Aaron Rodgers (twice), Tom Brady and Drew Brees.”

Your analysis relies on the assumption that Tampa was a typical performance.

Accounting for that exception (career best game) you get a 17TD season which is also around his career average.

2014 12 Starts 14 TDs 12 Int 3 Fumbles
2015 16 Starts 14 TDs 9 Int 8 Fumbles

At this point, I'm tired of the stating the obvious. If Drew leaves this year, he's the best and most practical chance to maintain stability.
I really don't get how many of TH advocates can project growth with one guy and not same the same the other. His floor is a respectable franchise QB (not top 5 at the position) and a playoff caliber team.
We need to ask ourselves what the realistic QB goal post-Drew. Everyone wants the next Mahommes or Drew, but history says that will probably take a while. In the meantime, I just think Teddy is the pragmatic and proven option.
Here is a list of places where Bridgewater has shown the ability to be an accurate, efficient, cerebral and above-average starting quarterback against high level competition:
- In college at Louisville
- In the minds of hundreds of pro scouts and people who cover football and the draft
- In the NFL in Minnesota
- In the NFL with the Saints

Here is a list of places where Taysom has done the same:

The reason some people give Bridgewater more "credit" or whatever you're seeking is because Bridgewater has actually proven his ability. Taysom's is purely speculative and hoping to see something that he's never shown before. We know Teddy is an above-average NFL starting QB who is still young with a lot of room to grow.

The poster who you're replying to (@No2DC ) really makes a great point, though. It's interesting that you and some others assume future growth out of Taysom Hill but not Teddy Bridgewater despite Hill being two and a half years older. Odd, considering Teddy scored higher on the Wonderlic test than Taysom did. Maybe Taysom just "seems" smarter to some people. :shrug:

I don't think the argument here is that people likes Taysom over Teddy. I think both players can be our starting quarterbacks for years to come.

Teddy is more of a safe thing. If Sean Payton wants continuity, it is obvious that Teddy is the way to go.

If Sean Payton wants some excitement, by changing the game plan and ways to attack, then Taysom is his guy.

But not even plan styles is the criteria of one over the other.

With a 21 million cap hit on the wait, and based on the current salaries of quarterbacks, a new contract for Drew Brees won't come cheap.

Teddy is an unrestricted free agent. The best paid backup in football, and a guy that proved he belonged as a starting quarterback. I am sure that he can double his salary if he goes to another team. He will have choices, not only about salary but team.

Tysom is restricted, he may leave for a first or second draft pick, but I think we have a better chance to structure a multi-year deal with him, keeping also Drew with us for the next couple of years.

It is not that we don't like Teddy, it is just that we don't think we can afford him.

That’s the gamble. Spot QB play here and there isn’t anywhere close to the same thing as taking every snap at QB in a game. We still don’t know exactly what we’ve got in Taysom as a full time QB. Great utility player, mystery as a QB. We know what Teddy brings to the table as a QB. A steady hand who won’t kill you with stupid mistakes. Explosive, exciting, last second game changer? No probably not but a guy capable of winning in the NFL.

He's Alex Smith. And that's why everywhere Alex Smith has gone they've drafted a replacement. The Chiefs wouldn't have won the Super Bowl with Alex Smith. This particular 49er team may have made it there... They still would've lost. QB decided the Super Bowl this year. One team had a game changer. The other didn't.

Personally, I am not concerned about Teddy leaving. The upside of Taysom Hill is what I think the correct play is for the organization, and quite honestly I would literally never fear Teddy Bridgewater at QB if he signed with a common opponent or divisional opponent of ours.

I really like the guy as a person and think he is a good backup, but as a starting QB, he is a game manager and not someone that will "win" a game for you, but will at best "not lose" the game for you. Big difference.

I feel like a lot of people see backup QB went 5-0 and think it means he must be great. But for those watching the games closely, they know Teddy isn't why the Saints went 5-0.

I know many people will point to a couple of his more-decent games, or that one time he threw for 300 yards that I can remember off-hand, but a lot of that production was off of an excellent screen game, dump-offs, and/or passes to literally the best WR in football, with a game plan tailored by arguably the best schemer and play-caller in football, versus what I believe was a statistically porous pass defense with an injury or two.

So if he signs with Carolina, so be it. I'd be more than happy with facing Teddy twice a year.
That explanation can also be applied to Brees' play this year. Injuries game plan unexpected lack of consistency all are factors in a quaterback's play. This is Bridgewater's first time playing meaningful games in years. The offensive game plan was not modified all that much for TB, but the concern for caution and limiting mistakes was paramount in someone who was so rusty. I can remember us cringing at the thought of playing Minnesota when TB was developing into a Star as a young QB. I believe that given the real starter role in a great offense he can be as dangerous as anyone we can get and may even rival Brees given the time and game planning specific to him. Or ...Maybe not ... but for you to say definitively what Teddy is, or can be, is being short sighted on your part in my opinion.... which is only worth as much as yours.

According to Bleacher report teams suit up 5 WRs and 3 TEs times 32 teams is 256 players.

On what planet is 15th best out of 256 a 2nd or 3rd stringer?

I don't think the argument here is that people likes Taysom over Teddy. I think both players can be our starting quarterbacks for years to come.

Teddy is more of a safe thing. If Sean Payton wants continuity, it is obvious that Teddy is the way to go.

If Sean Payton wants some excitement, by changing the game plan and ways to attack, then Taysom is his guy.

But not even plan styles is the criteria of one over the other.

With a 21 million cap hit on the wait, and based on the current salaries of quarterbacks, a new contract for Drew Brees won't come cheap.

Teddy is an unrestricted free agent. The best paid backup in football, and a guy that proved he belonged as a starting quarterback. I am sure that he can double his salary if he goes to another team. He will have choices, not only about salary but team.

Tysom is restricted, he may leave for a first or second draft pick, but I think we have a better chance to structure a multi-year deal with him, keeping also Drew with us for the next couple of years.

It is not that we don't like Teddy, it is just that we don't think we can afford him.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I feel like people are getting mad at others for liking Coke better than Grape Soda... who cares what people like. It's no reason to get mad. In the end, someone is going to be our QB next year and we are going to root like hell for that person. I feel like, even if Drew leaves, it's tight that we can afford Teddy. If Drew stays, there is no way we can afford Teddy, sorry. Taysom, we know we can afford and we hope we can succeed. I am so thankful we splurged on Teddy as an expensive backup, it was one of the best offseason moves we made last summer. But I feel as if, barring some unforeseen circumstances or every other team balking for some reason on a decent contract, that Teddy is gone. Someone who won't even consider our opinions is going to choose a starting QB next year... so why are we getting mad at each other?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom