Saints Seems like every other team expected to sign Bridgewater (Speculation) (1 Viewer)

He will need to be careful where he signs, if he signs before the Draft. Nothing to stop a team from signing him and drafting his eventual replacement. Similar to what happened with Teddy, the Jets, and Darnold a couple years back.

Of course the contract he's offered should let him know how committed the team is to him.

I'm not so sure he can completely choose which team he wants to go to. It would be best for him if several teams actually do seriously court him. Many rumors this time of year are "leaked" by agents trying to gain leverage and teams blowing smoke.

the contract and the team's situation will let him know if they want him to be a 'bridge' or the franchise. The Jets didn't surprise him or anyone. it was largely known they were targeting a rookie QB with their #3 pick the entire offseason. Which is why they had difficulty in signing Teddy at first, and why he passed on the Dolphins last year. There will be no more surprise for Teddy this time because his demand will be so much higher.

He will need to be careful where he signs, if he signs before the Draft. Nothing to stop a team from signing him and drafting his eventual replacement. Similar to what happened with Teddy, the Jets, and Darnold a couple years back.

Of course the contract he's offered should let him know how committed the team is to him.

I'm not so sure he can completely choose which team he wants to go to. It would be best for him if several teams actually do seriously court him. Many rumors this time of year are "leaked" by agents trying to gain leverage and teams blowing smoke.

He's definitely going to sign with someone before the draft. If he signs for 1-3 years it's a team that's keeping their options open. But nobody can predict a Foles/Minshew situation.

He's definitely going to sign with someone before the draft. If he signs for 1-3 years it's a team that's keeping their options open. But nobody can predict a Foles/Minshew situation.

If I'm Teddy I'm looking at this contract as my "set myself for life" contract. The fun and/or chasing rings can come later - this one is about the money for me. If I'm in his shoes I'm thinking the following: my value is probably at its peak, there are a ton of teams moving QBs around, I'm entering the middle part of my career, and I already know how fragile an NFL career is after my last injury.

I'm taking the biggest longest contract offered with the most guaranteed money. If there are a few offers that are really close in value, I might take the one that's the better situation (or for this Texas born guy, I'd pick the southern-most team).

I can't imagine he'd be open to a short-term contract. Because of the above, and because a short term contract lacks commitment from the team. Part of getting a long-term deal with guaranteed money is that the team is committing to him as the starter. Like you said with Jacksonville, things can change, but that's usually an outlier. Everything he's said and done points to him wanting to be a long-term starter and not being looked at as a stop-gap, and his play this year certainly earned that.

But Teddy seems to be his own man and his motivations might not be purely long-term money like mine would be.

If Drew retires, they're going after Stafford. Drew isn't going to retire though, so Teddy will likely find a new home with the highest bidder.

Taysom remains the #3 QB with the Saints for another year because Al Davis is dead and he was the only owner dumb enough to sign an unproven, gadget QB with a strong arm as his franchise QB.

The #2 QB for the Saints after Teddy leaves is TBD.

I agree with your assessments, and thankfully this time around due to demand and circumstance, Teddy will largely have the ability to choose his team. Unlike last year when it was start for a crumbling Dolphins or backup Drew for another year. Great gamble that will pay off considerably in a month's time.

Unusual year and with all the talent entering via the draft and becoming free agents or released. Some will be the odd ducks out. Both TB and TH face more headwinds than we are acknowledging. As Fans we see TB and TH with the emotional eyes of a fan. Head coaches and FOs have a hard, cold, analytical perspective we don't.

If Drew retires, they're going after Stafford. Drew isn't going to retire though, so Teddy will likely find a new home with the highest bidder.

Taysom remains the #3 QB with the Saints for another year because Al Davis is dead and he was the only owner dumb enough to sign an unproven, gadget QB with a strong arm as his franchise QB.

Why would they go after Stafford? He doesn't fit the Saints offense at all.

Why would they go after Stafford? He doesn't fit the Saints offense at all.
He also has cracked vertebrae in his back. If Stanford was smart, he would retire and spend more time with his wife. I understand that she has serious health issues.

He also has cracked vertebrae in his back. If Stanford was smart, he would retire and spend more time with his wife. I understand that she has serious health issues.
If its his back, he's done. I don't see a team signing anyone outside of Peyton with back/neck issues.

If Drew retires, they are not letting a proven guy that already knows the system go. Loomis is going to have to earn his salsry this offseason.

If we decide to roll with Teddy, Brees will need to retire. We cannot afford both and having Brees will just hamper Teddy's growth in being the leader he needs to be. That being said, I think Teddy will be on another team next season, because we still might not be able to afford him with the dead money we owe Brees.

If we decide to roll with Teddy, Brees will need to retire. We cannot afford both and having Brees will just hamper Teddy's growth in being the leader he needs to be. That being said, I think Teddy will be on another team next season, because we still might not be able to afford him with the dead money we owe Brees.

If Brees retires he's still going to count 21mil on our cap. If he signs maybe some of that can be pushed back. But he's going to be on our cap either way. Can we afford to sign Teddy to a big contract with Drew counting 21 mil and Taysom getting 5? I don't think so. I don't think Teddy is even an option unless there isn't a big market for him.

If Brees retires he's still going to count 21mil on our cap. If he signs maybe some of that can be pushed back. But he's going to be on our cap either way. Can we afford to sign Teddy to a big contract with Drew counting 21 mil and Taysom getting 5? I don't think so. I don't think Teddy is even an option unless there isn't a big market for him.

I agree 100%

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom