Senate Republicans are using Budget resolution to gut Obamacare (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Republicans take first step to repeal Obamacare - CNNPolitics.com

Broad legislation to repeal and replace Obamacare would require 60 votes in the Senate, and Republicans don't control enough seats to make that happen or to squash a filibuster by the Democrats.

Instead, Republican lawmakers are expected to use the budget process, which is limited to provisions that affect federal revenues and spending and requires only a simple majority to pass. It would enable Congress to repeal the Obamacare mandates that individuals have coverage and that companies with 50 or more employees provide workers with affordable insurance. Also, it can do away with the federal subsidies, eliminate funding for Medicaid expansion and cancel a multitude of Obamacare-related taxes.

The urgent question Republicans must grapple with now is how they will go about replacing what they repeal.

Republican leaders are considering a "repeal and delay" approach of preventing the repeal from going into effect for two or three years. This transition period would buy lawmakers some time to figure out a replacement plan, but already, insurance companies are balking at the uncertainty that this scenario would create.
Basically, they don't have a plan to replace it, so they'll just break the ACA (Obamacare) more, to make it more painful, more expensive, also likely hurt Medicare part D folks, to then force the issue. Or they'll vote to gut it, but not take effect for 2-3 years, which insurance companies hate too. Uncertainty is a terrible thing.

I'm all for fixing some of the parts of Obamacare, but this is throwing out the baby with the bath water. You thought the plans were expensive now, just wait until no one gets a subsidy and those people just drop it.

If you own your own business, you're hosed.. your insurance will just go up more.

OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
To add, since they won't take the time to work on getting 60 votes to work on something to fix it, they're using this tactic to screw it all up.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Basically, they don't have a plan to replace it, so they'll just break the ACA (Obamacare) more, to make it more painful, more expensive, also likely hurt Medicare part D folks, to then force the issue. Or they'll vote to gut it, but not take effect for 2-3 years, which insurance companies hate too. Uncertainty is a terrible thing.

I'm all for fixing some of the parts of Obamacare, but this is throwing out the baby with the bath water. You thought the plans were expensive now, just wait until no one gets a subsidy and those people just drop it.

If you own your own business, you're hosed.. your insurance will just go up more.
I'm tempted to say the Dems should just step aside and let the Reps totally fubar the system.

"Go for it. Repeal the ACA with nothing in its place. See how that works out for you."

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4zyYByZuW3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See what happens indeed.

OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Right now the party line vote was just to start the debate.

I have one friend who's a medical broker, represents hundreds of families, and knows dozens of other brokers. This potentially hurts every single one of their clients.

They've been working the phones. He said they've already been overloaded a few times.

I think like the move to remove the independent ethics committee, the Republicans are really going to hear a voice they haven't heard yet.

varanook

Toad
Reaction score
This is so silly.

Just fix parts of it.

Why the need to get rid of it?

So tired of the my team your team crap.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is so silly.

Just fix parts of it.

Why the need to get rid of it?

So tired of the my team your team crap.
If Trump were smart, he'd remove the Rubio nonsense that screwed it up in the first place and enact higher penalties for non-insured.

He'd come out with a zillion twitter posts about how he repealed the bad parts by changing the name from Obamacare to Trump's Affordable Care Act.

He could rename it TACA and republicans the world around would cheer in support.

OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If Trump were smart, he'd remove the Rubio nonsense that screwed it up in the first place and enact higher penalties for non-insured.

He'd come out with a zillion twitter posts about how he repealed the bad parts by changing the name from Obamacare to Trump's Affordable Care Act.

He could rename it TACA and republicans the world around would cheer in support.
I think the risk corridor thing really hurt the ACA (the Rubio stuff). I'd hope they'd find a way to put that back in.

I don't think Trump would ever be on board with upping the penalties on non-insured. If anything, by his rhetoric, he'd just remove the penalties. Make it optional.

"but it would be so cheap, so wonderful, so great, you'd want to pick it"

lapaz

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Republicans that are knowledgeable, such as the heritage foundation, know that you have to have a mandate with penalties, otherwise insurance doesn't work. The alternates that I have heard about giving everyone catastrophic insurance is not much different, but would be less effective. Taxpayers would still have to subsidize that catastrophic insurance for the poor. That also wouldn't provide preventative care, which will make our workforce sicker, and poor would still suffer from everything short of catastrophic illnesses. You would still find poor and lower middle class people going bankrupt for illnesses that are very expensive but not catastrophic. You'd find more contagious illnesses spreading because the poor and middles class would not treat themselves if uninsured.

The smart thing to do is improve on what we've implemented to get closer to 100% coverage, to improve cost controls, and to improve healthcare outcomes, rather than opposing it on political grounds. The problem is that Republicans and right wing media have brain washed their constituents into believing it is a horrible law so they would pay a price at the election box if they don't proceed with their illogical approach.

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
So that we are all on the same page here, all we heard for the past 6 or so years is that they were going to repeal and replace the ACA. Now that they can, their plan is to do :idunno: . Where is this better plan they have been promising?

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If the last year has taught us anything, it's that most people don't care about what is actually happening as long as they feel like they are "winning."

So go with a single-payer and name it Trumpcare, and everyone will be happy.

lapaz

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
To add, since they won't take the time to work on getting 60 votes to work on something to fix it, they're using this tactic to screw it all up.
Exactly! The law was not perfect, as no big legislation is perfect, and it needed some amendments, but you have to have cooperation to amend unless you have a filibuster proof majority. Flaws don't become immediately apparent, so by the time the Democrats found the flaws, they didn't have the votes to amend it. Now further undermining the law will make it more flawed, which will build support to overturn it. That is the Republican tactic. While it has had some success, these measures will destroy those successes to give the legislators more cover. It is devious and disingenuous, but undoubtedly Republican constituents will not understand or not care. They will just think they won, so it won't matter if they undermine a law that has made positive steps towards addressing our healthcare problems. Sadly, this is probably the type of garbage that we will have to swallow for at least the next 2 years.

CountWhoDat

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Unfortunately many people will feel the negative effects of repeal/gutting and blame the ACA for them, in much the same way that people trumpet the "massive premium increases" this upcoming year but forget that those premium increases were routine prior to the ACA and the fact that it brought the prices down to begin with.

I honestly believe a lot of the opposition to the ACA comes from the fact that it was labeled "Obamacare". Accepting that designation was, in my view, a mistake Obama and the Democrats made, because they should have highlighted that it wasn't about him/them, it was about YOUR healthcare. I guarantee there are a lot of people who used the exchange to select plans and receive a subsidy, but if you told them they had "Obamacare" they would argue to the death with you that they didn't.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score

we call it "FEAR" inside the industry.

A good man once told me early in my career "son...there are only two things that drive the insurance industry...FEAR and GREED. Thats it"

After 18 years in this business....he was right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom