Senator Obama's Open Letter to the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) Community (1 Viewer)

i think all people should be treated equally.

I do too. I just don't think people ought to become a protected class based on behavior.

The letter Obama wrote should have little impact on the general election. It could influence some people to support him in the remaining primaries, but I doubt it would have any influence in November.

Roughly 97% of child molestors are male! And most victims are girls! Therefore the argument could be made that a heterosexual male is more likely to be a child molestor than a homosexual male. Right?

This is exactly the point I had tried to make last night but the board was bogging down.

The research indicates the vast majority of child molestation is committed by an adult of the same sex (typically male/male).

As BD noted, the above statement isn't true. I don't know where you heard that but it would mean that either boys comprise the majority of victims -- and research disputes that -- or that girls are far more likely to be molested by women, which isn't true.

>>I do too. I just don't think people ought to become a protected class based on behavior.

If that behavior is legal, should they possibly be discriminated against or should laws be allowed to antagonize them based on hate or predjudice? :shrug:

TPS

I do too. I just don't think people ought to become a protected class based on behavior.

Amen to that! I'm sick of the gay agenda being shoved down our throats as though the majority of people out there are living a gay lifestyle. The sexual lifestyle choices of people should have no influence of laws or politics.

The letter Obama wrote should have little impact on the general election. It could influence some people to support him in the remaining primaries, but I doubt it would have any influence in November.

I think the letter is aimed at some of the anger toward him in the gay community about some people he associates with who use tremendous anti gay rhetoric. He had some black ministers traveling with him when he campaigned in the south. Guys like Donnie McClurkin. There was also supposedly an incident in 2004 or 2003 when he refused to have his picture taken with the Mayor of San Francisco at the height of the media circus when the Mayor authorized gay marriage in San Fran.

I only recently found out about the problems he has in certain corners of the gay community. He has a very voting record on gay issues so I assumed the support was there but it's really not.

>>Amen to that! I'm sick of the gay agenda being shoved down our throats as though the majority of people out there are living a gay lifestyle.

Where do you get this from and why do you care? It sounds like it was lifted straight off of talk radio or from some radical church. :shrug:

TPS

6a00c2251d4b23549d00c2252356338e1d-320pi

Care to elaborate or specify? :dunno:

No. I was just expressing a personal wish. People can emboss whatever personal interpretations on it they want.

For what it's worth, though, you weren't any part of the genesis of the wish.

The sexual lifestyle choices of people should have no influence of laws or politics.

You know what. You're exactly right. I'm glad we can count on you to oppose a Constitutional Amendment against Gay Marriage, discriminatory policies like "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and reject conservative agendas that make homosexuals a talking point.

Glad to have you on-board the Rainbow Express!

Last edited:
I think the letter served three purposes:

1. To reassure the Democratic base that he's onboard with these long-standing planks in party agenda.
2. Get out the vote among the GLBT community.
3. To throw down a gauntlet at feet of the far-Right, Christian Coalition types and put McCain in a bind when he tries to paint himself as a middle-of-the-road type Republican candidate.

Seems to serve all purposes rather well.

I think the letter served three purposes:

1. To reassure the Democratic base that he's onboard with these long-standing planks in party agenda.
2. Get out the vote among the GLBT community.
3. To throw down a gauntlet at feet of the far-Right, Christian Coalition types and put McCain in a bind when he tries to paint himself as a middle-of-the-road type Republican candidate.

I think you don't know how deep the disdain for Obama goes in some regions of the gay community. For instance in the NW (Seattle area) his name is complete mud. I was amazed how much some of my gay friends hated him when I inquired about it. My sister in law (who's gay and politically active in the community) sent me some links just last night I can't even post here due to language and content.

I thought he was all good too. It was DMaestro that made me aware of some of his issues in the gay community which led me to investigate and when I turned over that rock the anger was palpable.

He actually has a real problem with the gay power structure and I think this is all about trying to bridge that gap.

That's what I was referring to. For a black man to frame it as a straight-up civil rights issue puts McCain in a bad spot. Thumb his nose at the far right, or come across as a lover of oppression?

Wow. I thought I would click on this thread and see a trainwreck of responses. Instead I read (for the most part) a lot of well thought out discussion debating the pros and cons of what Obama had to say.:9:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom