Senator Obama's Open Letter to the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) Community (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
In a nutshell, he says he'll:

1. Eliminate discrimination.
2 Urge the states to treat same-sex couples with full equality.
3. Repeal DOMA and Don't Ask, Don't Tell
4. Address the HIV/AIDS epidemic.

Andrew Sullivan's Daily Dish
Obama's Open Letter To Gay Americans
28 Feb 2008

I’m running for President to build an America that lives up to our founding promise of equality for all – a promise that extends to our gay brothers and sisters. It’s wrong to have millions of Americans living as second-class citizens in this nation. And I ask for your support in this election so that together we can bring about real change for all LGBT Americans. Equality is a moral imperative. That’s why throughout my career, I have fought to eliminate discrimination against LGBTAmericans. In Illinois, I co-sponsored a fully inclusive bill that prohibited discrimination on the basis of both sexual orientation and gender identity, extending protection to the workplace, housing, and places of public accommodation.

Read the full letter
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/02/obamas-open-let.html

Awesome. Way to draw the line for McCain to dance around.

America can never achieve its full potential until such time as all discrimination has been abolished. I honestly don't care what any other adults do with their lives or in their pusuits of the American dream. That's their business. I like Senator Obama's comments on letting people be free to be who they are. If other people want to be ignorant, predjudiced or whatever, that's on them. Society should never strive for lesser ideals than true freedom and equality for all Americans.

JMO

TPS

I completely agree with Obama on this this one. The US Constiution applies to everyone, not just straight people.

so what do you think dadsdream? i think all people should be treated equally.

What do I think?

I think what happens between two consenting adults in their own private space is their own buisness.

At the same time, the entire premise of marriage is a male - female partnership which bears with it the potential (and the tax breaks) for children. There are numerous legislative and legal issues which are expressly tied to procreation as the central factor.

Granting those same advantages to a same-sex couple is without merit in those cases in which the procreation of children is the entire basis for the legislation or law.

Also, I am not in favor of same-sex couples adopting children.

Don't Ask Don't Tell, as it relates to the military, was and is a bandaid solution which makes nobody happy.

There have always been gays in the military, because the military is a slice of the American pie. If there's gays in the pie, there's gays in the slice. To change it, though, will require a full vote of Congress to do away with the 1940s wording of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which makes anything other than male-female cotius illegal. Even male - female oral copulation is illegal under the UCMJ.

What that means is that each Congressman would have to go on record with a vote to change the UCMJ. I don't see that happening.

Overall, I agree with Senator Obama except on the issues of gay marriage and same sex couple adoptions.

Is that deal breaker as far as my vote? Nope. Not at all.

Well, urging states to do something is just talk.(At least he recognizes that it is a state issue) And we are addressing the AIDS epidemic (which goes far beyond homosexuals), but the elimination of discrimination is correct. I don't have an opinion about the don't ask don't tell policy.

>>Also, I am not in favor of same-sex couples adopting children.

What if they are married and one of the kids already belongs to the other one? :shrug: And what about in vitro fertilizations. A female adult is allowed and able to conceive by any means available. Stuff happens. Better the kid in a loving home than an abusive one IMHO. :shrug:

TP

America can never achieve its full potential until such time as all discrimination has been abolished. I honestly don't care what any other adults do with their lives or in their pusuits of the American dream. That's their business. I like Senator Obama's comments on letting people be free to be who they are. If other people want to be ignorant, predjudiced or whatever, that's on them. Society should never strive for lesser ideals than true freedom and equality for all Americans.

JMO

TPS

Ditto.

This is so 2000. Bush was elected because state initiatives for gay marriage were on the Presidential ballot. This boosted turnout, and voters automatically pulled the lever for Bush.

The gay lobby is for Obama anyway, so it's a gimme. Bush's consituency might stay home in November.

Isn't that the Democratic platform?

With the exception of the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy that is the National Democratic Platform. Many Dems support allowing gays and lesbians (note: I don't agree with that label, but it's provided for context), so there's really no news here.

If you want to review the Democratic platform here's a link to the Democratic platform.

http://www.democrats.org/pdfs/2004platform.pdf

>>Also, I am not in favor of same-sex couples adopting children.

What if they are married and one of the kids already belongs to the other one? :shrug: And what about in vitro fertilizations. A female adult is allowed and able to conceive by any means available. Stuff happens. Better the kid in a loving home than an abusive one IMHO. :shrug:

TP

Admittedly, advancing technology has created situations which were not even dreamed of when I was imbued with the instinctive, gut-reaction which this topic invariably brings up...sometime in the 1960s and 1970s.

If someone has children and enters into a gay relationship, the children are still the progeney of a heterosexual relationship and the relevant legislation still applies, as do the tax breaks, to the biological parents, not the homosexual co-habitant.

With in vitro, again, although the father may be anonymous, the child is still the product of a male/female interaction which is unrelated to the homosexual co-habitant.

Homosexuals are no more likely to be pedophiles than heterosexuals are, so that's not part of the equation in my book. But I do believe there is such a thing as indoctrinating children via a social structure or setting.

The bottom line is that the entire GLBT community owes its very existence to the progeny of the heteosexual community. There's just no way around that, in vitro fertilization not withstanding. Otherwise, the community goes the way of the Shakers.

When, as a freshly inagurated president, Bill Clinton announced he was going to allow gays to openly serve in the military, he wasn't preprared for the backlash from the most vocal opponents...the military wives clubs. The notion that a gay cohabitant would get the same rights, benefits and privileges as a woman with children, both waiting for their husbands to come home from war (or not come home) lit a firestorm in the military community. President Clinton backed off and we ended up with Don't Ask Don't Tell.

No, I don't have all the answers for everything in this most convoluted of convoluted issues. I only have the answers that seem to work best to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom