Senio Bowl News (1 Viewer)

Did Rivers look bad or just not as good as Connor?

I think that Connor will fall for the same reason that Poz did he is limited athleticly he has probably maxed himself out.
Rivers came up and met a RB, not sure which one, and the RB knocked him back and made his cut. Rivers was unable to catch back up to the RB and he caught the pass and turned up field. I had a very very very small sample of plays from one drill I got to watch, but thought Connor looked better than the others. I am sure as I get a chance to watch some more of the practices my opinions will evolve.

I also think Dan Connor's 40-time will cause him to drop, but the guy can play football.

Everyone keep in mind that Rivers is coming off an ankle injury and he said he is about 70%. For a guy who could potentially have his stocks fall because he's not 100% and still decides to participate in the Senior Bowl makes him even more attractive.

imo curtis lofton is by far the best option at mlb in this draft

for once i hope that a guy who im high on will be drafted by nawlins. just once lol....:D

from NFLdraftcountdown:
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/practices/north121.html

• Two of the most impressive players on the field today both happened to be USC Trojans. Defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis was practically unblockable, blowing by Chad Rinehart on one play and being very disruptive in the backfield all afternoon. He also received a lot of praise from the coaching staff. Meanwhile his college teammate Keith Rivers, who drew a lot of praise from Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Rivers looked quick and explosive moving both forward and laterally and even made a nice play in coverage twenty yards downfield against Kellen Davis.

There were a number of standout performances today but if I had to single out a couple of guys on each side of the ball Sedrick Ellis and Keith Rivers would easily be the defensive picks while Carl Nicks and Lavelle Hawkins would get the nod on offense. It was a good first day overall and there should be some excellent matchups throughout the rest of the week, especially between the offensive and defensive linemen. So day one for the North is officially in the books and things should only get better once they put on the full pads start hitting.

Good point. Yeah, yeah, he's short. He is DEFINITELY not worth a top-9 pick. :hihi:

Not even close to being worth it. You can't waste a Top 9 pick. However, once you hit pick 10 you can gamble. :hihi:

LB Phillip Wheeler, Georgia Tech: Listed 235, weighed 245, ripped

I've been high on him all year. He could be an impact linebacker we need, available in the 2nd. Versatile enough to play WLB or MLB. I thought he'd be more suited to WLB but 245lbs is bulky enough for the middle. He has sideline to sideline range with a burst

Philip Wheeler Outside Linebacker | Senior | Georgia Tech
Height: 6-2 | Weight: 230 | 40-Time: 4.50

Official Bio

Strengths:
A great athlete...Excellent timed speed...Good quickness with a burst to close...A very good pass rusher and blitzer...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Big hitter and solid tackler...Terrific instincts...Extremely active...Does okay when dropping into a zone...Smart...Good leader...Versatile...Real productive...Durable and experienced.

Weaknesses:
Undersized and doesn't have the size or bulk that you look for...Too aggressive at times...Has some trouble getting off blocks...Not stout at the point...Questionable man coverage skills...Lacks fluid hips...Displays poor hand use...Must get stronger.

Notes:
A three-year starter in the ACC...Began his career as a defensive end...Played the middle in college but many are projecting him to the weakside at the next level...A talented playmaking linebacker with solid physical tools and a well-rounded game.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/philipwheeler.html

Seems he may have addressed some of the negatives. Trade up to #8 and select Sedrick Ellis, Wheeler in the 2nd and a gem of a free safety in the 3rd would make my year

Last edited:
Philip could be the wheel (as my son used to say) deal. I think I remember Rickey and Hugh Green being mentioned as being too light when they came out of Pitt. We all know what happened there.

Georgia Tech linebacker Phillip Wheeler was active and downright mean, working extensively with Hall of Famer Mike Singletary

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

San Francisco draft 3 places above us in round 2. I hope he doesn't impress Singletary enough that the 49ers take him to pair with Willis

Georgia Tech linebacker Phillip Wheeler was active and downright mean, working extensively with Hall of Famer Mike Singletary

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

San Francisco draft 3 places above us in round 2. I hope he doesn't impress Singletary enough that the 49ers take him to pair with Willis

Well, if Wheeler is #52 at the Senior Bowl then in the clip on the NFL Network that I saw Singletary was all over him on every single play about being out of position one time then too wide with his feet on another and then something else I can't remember. Seems like he was really on him the entire time.....kind of felt sorry for the guy.

On the other hand, he did compliment Highsmith a couple of times in the short clip.
I hope we go LB'er earlier than when Wheeler is a value.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom