Senio Bowl News (1 Viewer)

I agree that height is an overrated stat for DTs in my career I got moved to OT from DT because I was to tall.

Kentwalm Balmer has boom or bust written all over him.

I think we need to sign DT FA A. Haynesworth and T. Suggs... My opinion on the draft 1st round K. Rivers 2nd round R. Smith 3rd Round C. Steltz... or trade down and take 1st round R. Smith 2nd round J. Mayo, A. Highsmith, or X. Adibi 3rd round C. Steltz & DJ Hall if he is avaible
REASONS WHY? K. Rivers is a beast, R. Smith can play CB of Safety, and C. Steltz is a BALL HAWK.:9:

almost all the greatest DTs ever were short

That was true of past times, but not so much anymore. Players in the past simply weren't as genetically gifted as today's athletes, and thus it is unfair to state that great DTs are short in today's day and age.

Today's (or at least in most recent years in the case of someone like Kris Jenkins) elite DTs are basically 6'2" or taller with some rare exceptions.

Tommie Harris: 6.3
Albert Haynesworth: 6.6
John Henderson: 6.7
Kris Jenkins: 6.4
Haloti Ngata: 6.4
Cory Redding: 6.4
Shaun Rogers: 6.4
Richard Seymour: 6.6 (plays DE in the 3-4 however)
Marcus Stroud: 6.6
Vince Wilfork: 6.2
Jamaal Williams: 6.3
Kevin Williams: 6.5

There are some exceptions for the upper level players such as Casey Hampton at 6'1" and Mike Patterson at 6'0"...but these days upper-echelon DTs are above 6'2" and most get into the 6'4" to 6'6" range. That also holds true for recent draft picks and up-and-comers such as Amobi Okoye, Justin Harrell, Adam Carriker, Corey Williams, etc. Same thing can be said about mid-level players like Tank Johnson and Fred Robbins and aging vets like Pat Williams, Warren Sapp, Keith Traylor, etc.

The fact of the matter is that today's DTs are much taller than Sedrick Ellis. Will that affect his stock? Who knows.

That was true of past times, but not so much anymore. Players in the past simply weren't as genetically gifted as today's athletes, and thus it is unfair to state that great DTs are short in today's day and age.

Today's (or at least in most recent years in the case of someone like Kris Jenkins) elite DTs are basically 6'2" or taller with some rare exceptions.

Tommie Harris: 6.3
Albert Haynesworth: 6.6
John Henderson: 6.7
Kris Jenkins: 6.4
Haloti Ngata: 6.4
Cory Redding: 6.4
Shaun Rogers: 6.4
Richard Seymour: 6.6 (plays DE in the 3-4 however)
Marcus Stroud: 6.6
Vince Wilfork: 6.2
Jamaal Williams: 6.3
Kevin Williams: 6.5

There are some exceptions for the upper level players such as Casey Hampton at 6'1" and Mike Patterson at 6'0"...but these days upper-echelon DTs are above 6'2" and most get into the 6'4" to 6'6" range. That also holds true for recent draft picks and up-and-comers such as Amobi Okoye, Justin Harrell, Adam Carriker, Corey Williams, etc. Same thing can be said about mid-level players like Tank Johnson and Fred Robbins and aging vets like Pat Williams, Warren Sapp, Keith Traylor, etc.

The fact of the matter is that today's DTs are much taller than Sedrick Ellis. Will that affect his stock? Who knows.

I agree that DTs are taller and Ellis who measured in at 6.07 he would be considered 6'1" which is only 1" shorter then Tommie Harris, Vince Wilfork.

Kentwalm Balmer has boom or bust written all over him.

I agree, and that's part of the reason I believe this staff will avoid him. But, he did help himself out with measurements today.

DT Kentwan Ballmer, UNC: Listed 282, weighed 308 & stacked.

You wonder if Sedrick Ellis doesn't project as a 2-gap DT in the NFL because of his height.

The thing with a "short" DT as opposed to a "tall" DT has more to do with arm length. Short arms means you're more likely to get tangled up and give up space to the interior linemen. Not a problem for a space-eater where, in fact, the shorter stature can give you something of a leverage advantage, but for a penetrator it reduces your ability to operate "in space" and you end up relying on beating your man off the LOS and the bullrush.

This is why you want tall offensive tackles, especially nowdays against undersized edge rushers, and so smaller offensive linemen get shuttled into the interior spots.

well then we should get rid of brees hes only a little over 6 ft tall. height is way overrated.

There are exceptions for every rule.

The problem with shorter DTs is that they can get engulfed by the bigger OLs in the league this is because they have shorter arms and can't see over the OL.

On the other hand they have a low center of gravity and are harder to get under and drive out of the hole.

Balmer is exactly the same as Ryan Sims in 2002 both are UNC DTs that came on as seniors and wowed with their measurements.

I watched part of the Senior bowl practice on NFL network prior to it being bumped by the Dungy press conference and the only player to impress me was Dan Connor. The LBs were working against the RB in pass coverage. The other LBs in the drill slipped or got knocked off by the RBs. Connor dropped his hips and shifted smoothly into coverage undercutting the throw and getting his hand in front of the RB to knock the pass away. One snippet from one practice, but he looked MUCH better than any of the other LBs on the North side including Rivers.

I watched part of the Senior bowl practice on NFL network prior to it being bumped by the Dungy press conference and the only player to impress me was Dan Connor. The LBs were working against the RB in pass coverage. The other LBs in the drill slipped or got knocked off by the RBs. Connor dropped his hips and shifted smoothly into coverage undercutting the throw and getting his hand in front of the RB to knock the pass away. One snippet from one practice, but he looked MUCH better than any of the other LBs on the North side including Rivers.

Did Rivers look bad or just not as good as Connor?

I think that Connor will fall for the same reason that Poz did he is limited athleticly he has probably maxed himself out.

In the limited footage NFL Network showed, I was impressed by DT Ellis, LB Rivers, LB Connor, and OT Cherilus.

Another random note, WR Eddie Royal dominated CB DeJuan Tribble in WR/CB drills.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom