Senior Bowl observations (1 Viewer)

Forte will only continue to improve his position over the next couple months. He is a work-out-aholic. He may very well be the 3rd RB selected after McFadden and the Illini guy, Medenhall. Doubtful he gets out of the 2nd round.

I can see him going in the second. At this point, I do not see him as the third running back. Remember, this is a running back heavy draft. While Forte and Tashard Choice distinguished themselves as head and shoulders above the rest of the senior class at RB (I see Hester as more of a hybrid and so I am not factoring him into that equation), I do not think right now you can move them ahead not only of McFadden and Mendenhall--as you stated--but also Jonathan Stewart, Felix Jones, and Jamaal Charles. Charles might be on the fence against Forte, but I think the top four will remain the top four.

The LBs

Keith Rivers looked good and he was all over the field at times. I just don't know about him he should be as dominant as Pat Willis with his physical skill set. He had a couple of tackles and no big plays at the line.

Ali Highsmith looked very physical and made some nice plays. From my count he had 6 tackles in the 1st half. Stacked and shed the TE on a couple of plays and stuffed that run near the goal line right before the half.

Dan Connor, I thought that he was average at best and he was getting blocked on a lot of running plays. He got caught in the wash to often and I know that has a lot to do with DT play but he was far from dominant.

Last edited:
if we can't get dorsey or ellis with the #10 pick, trade down a few and get DRC. and get a DT in the second, and the other pick and the third draft a te and Lb, then get a FA Lb like Carlos Dansby, I would love to have a young talent like this DRC, with Usama and MM. I young safety prospect would be nice too.

Ellis may be the #1 pick after his performance today... dude is unblockable.

Cromartie may be the best CB in the draft afterall. Sure McElvin is also solid... but Cromartie has better ball skills.

Not sure why folks still say Chevis Jackson is cov-2 CB... he was running step for step with the guy on the TD that he gave up... it was just a great adjustment by the WR.

highsmith was the best LB out there today. Say what you want about his size... but he was in on ALOT of tackles. He may get swallowed by bigger blockers in the NFL, but as for today... he was the man.

Ellis would be a dream pick at 10. Although if Ellis is gone, Dorsey will probably be there. "Oh darn" :) Some have said that Dorsey is better suited to a 4-3 and Ellis to a 3-4.

Either one would make me smile to get them. Cromartie is not a top 10 pick, but if we were able to get him with a trade up (from the second), I'd be happy, he really looked good.

If for some reason Ellis Dorsey and Rivers were gone at 10 and we could not trade down I would seriously consider Cormartie. I only had time to watch the first half but he showed his size speed and leaping ability.

PS Chevis Jackson is not good at all IMO I know a lot of Homers here like the guy because he is from LSU but he just does not look like he will handle the pro speed well.

Ellis may be the #1 pick after his performance today... dude is unblockable.

highsmith was the best LB out there today. Say what you want about his size... but he was in on ALOT of tackles. He may get swallowed by bigger blockers in the NFL, but as for today... he was the man.

I agree Highsmith was the only LB that was making plays.

Was anyone else a bit annoyed at the huge amount of playing time Booty got, compared to the other North QB's? I really wanted to see more of that QB from Delaware...honestly, if the Senior Bowl is more about watching the senior talent and less about winning, then the coaches from the North really shortchanged the other North QB's. JMO.

The LBs

Keith Rivers looked good and he was all over the field at times. I just don't know about him he should be as dominant as Pat Willis with his physical skill set. He had a couple of tackles and no big plays at the line.

Ali Highsmith looked very physical and made some nice plays. From my count he had 6 tackles in the 1st half. Stacked and shed the TE on a couple of plays and stuffed that run near the goal line right before the half.

Dan Connor, I thought that he was average at best and he was getting blocked on a lot of running plays. He got caught in the wash to often and I know that has a lot to do with DT play but he was far from dominant.

Keep in mind that Rivers was playing next to Adibi and Connor and was not lined up at MLB, which means that he will not get as many tackles, particularly when the action is going to the opposite side of the field. Last year, Willis had Juwan Simpson, Rufus Alexander, and Buster Davis next to him. Go back and read their stat line for and you'll see guys with less total tackles than Willis had solo tackles last year. So I think the comparison is a bit unfair to Rivers in terms of statistical production, althouh I believe that Rivers, like Willis last year, did a good job of forcing the action even when the South team tried to go away from his direction.

Highsmith, as I have said before, is a definite player and a guy who just brings it each game. He has superb instincts and does not allow himself to get caught up in the litter. He will be a solid football player for some team.

On Connor, all I will say is what I've been saying...good football player, very sound but stiff and not fluid. That limits his effectiveness and you're looking at a guy who is a late first at best, more likely a second round pick. He can be solid with other good backers next to him but not as the focal point of a defense.

if we can't get dorsey or ellis with the #10 pick, trade down a few and get DRC. and get a DT in the second, and the other pick and the third draft a te and Lb, then get a FA Lb like Carlos Dansby, I would love to have a young talent like this DRC, with Usama and MM. I young safety prospect would be nice too.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is not a first rounder at this point. Excellent talent, great looking prospect and a guy I have raved about. But he's not there yet so I would not be a fan of trading down in the first round to take him. In the second, I would jump all over him. Besides, on the trade front, you have to have willing suitors looking to trade up. I think that what you will find is that the talent in this draft is pretty much even once you get beyond about 6 to 8 guys that you might not get as much trading as you typically get in drafts unless it is a team trying to move up and grab one of the elite prospects. Then again, there could be volatile trading if teams feel the need to make sure they can get the guy who best fits their scheme despite the relative non-difference in terms of the level of talent.

Karlos Dansby is going to be franchised.

RealChrism.....

I would like to get your opinion on something. After seeing what happen this season to our Running Back corp do you think the Saints draft a running Back? I think they do on day one. Especially if we trade down and pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd.

1st. If so Who?

2nd. What round?

26 may not be the same if he comes back.

Stecker could leave FA

PT played great but carrying the load for a whole season is another conversation.

Reggie needs to play all over the field The New Slash WR,RB,KR,PR,CB,QB lololololol

First off, I didn't watch the game..so with that said, I have a question....Everyone is saying Connor was playing poorly and that Rivers was making all sorts of plays..yet the stats don't show that...Now, I know that stats don't mean everything, but Connor led the team and game in tackles...and had an INT.

RealChrism.....

I would like to get your opinion on something. After seeing what happen this season to our Running Back corp do you think the Saints draft a running Back? I think they do on day one. Especially if we trade down and pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd.

1st. If so Who?

2nd. What round?

26 may not be the same if he comes back.

Stecker could leave FA

PT played great but carrying the load for a whole season is another conversation.

Reggie needs to play all over the field The New Slash WR,RB,KR,PR,CB,QB lololololol

I think they will make an attempt to draft a RB. I do not know if it'll come on day one, but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT. If I am not mistaken, the draft will only be two rounds on the first day. I just cannot see the Saints taking a RB in the first or second round unless a top prospect was to fall to them that they could not pass up. I can see them taking a RB in the third, fourth or fifth round. This draft is heavy with talent at the RB position, so you can end up getting a solid prospect in one of those rounds. Matt Forte would have been a great choice for this team in the third but I think he may have moved himself up into the late second round. For him to solidify that grade, however, he will have to run a decent 40. Don't sleep on Jacob Hester as a prospect in New Orleans. Kevin Smith will also draw consideration as will Tashard Choice. I think the Saints will look for a bigger back to compliment what they have in Bush and Pierre Thomas. I do believe that Bush needs to be used all over the field but I also believe that he can be the featured back on this team. I think you will see him and Pierre get a lot of sharing time and the Saints will want to add a back like Hester who can be utilized in short yardage situations. As far as Deuce is concerned, I don't know what the team will do with him. My gut feeling says that opening day 2008, he won't be on the team.

I will answer your question as to who the Saints would take if they were taking a RB in the first or second even though I do not think they will do this. But if they were to take a Rb in the first, I think Jonathan Stewart would be the choice. He's a bruising back with surprisingly good speed and the ability to punish runners. He would be a terrific complement to Reggie Bush. In the second, I think Forte (who will remind some of Deuce) would probably be the best option there of all the backs likely to go in the second round. Rashad Mendenhall would also draw some attention in the first if the Saints were looking to take a RB although I think that Stewart would give them more of a thunder/lightning combo with Stewart and Bush than with Mendenhall and Bush.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom