Senior Bowl observations (1 Viewer)

RealChrism.....

I would like to get your opinion on something. After seeing what happen this season to our Running Back corp do you think the Saints draft a running Back? I think they do on day one. Especially if we trade down and pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd.

1st. If so Who?

2nd. What round?

26 may not be the same if he comes back.

Stecker could leave FA

PT played great but carrying the load for a whole season is another conversation.

Reggie needs to play all over the field The New Slash WR,RB,KR,PR,CB,QB lololololol

If the Saints pick up a running back in the second round I'm going to freak!

First off, I didn't watch the game..so with that said, I have a question....Everyone is saying Connor was playing poorly and that Rivers was making all sorts of plays..yet the stats don't show that...Now, I know that stats don't mean everything, but Connor led the team and game in tackles...and had an INT.

The interception was off a poorly thrown ball into double coverage by Brennan. Two reasons for the number of tackles by Connor are the fact that the South ran more his way and that Rivers forced a lot of the runs that were meant to go outside back inside toward Connor.

The best 2 players on the field without question were Ellis and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Rivers did not make as many plays as some (REALCHRISM) are making it seem. Great looking LB, but did nothing to really impress. Got lost at times.

If the Saints pick up a running back in the second round I'm going to freak!

Why freak lol? You have to be prepared to handle alot of situations as a head coach/ GM.
Before free agencey in 06 Most thought Matt Lienhart was a lock at 2 for the Saints.

We all know what happened after that.

Let the plan play out and have fun as fans in the offseason, as I have said all over SR this team needs Starter help in every position except QB in my opinion.

So the possiblities are endless.

The last game of the Season this team had to sign 2 guys off the street to fill Rb depth.
It's a legit ponder.

The best 2 players on the field without question were Ellis and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Rivers did not make as many plays as some (REALCHRISM) are making it seem. Great looking LB, but did nothing to really impress. Got lost at times.

Cool, I respect your opinion. I am not making it seem like anything. You know, this kind of reminds me of the argument about Malcolm Jenkins' performance in the BCS Championshp. There were those of us who thought that LSU was gun shy about throwing in his direction and tried to throw away from him as much as possible save three plays, two of which he won (the interception and the defense on the deep ball to Byrd) and one where he gave up the touchdown in a man-zone defense on a perfectly drawn up play. Then there were others who claimed he was totally unimpressive and that the fact that LSU did not throw at him did not mean he was doing anything well.

That's how I see Rivers' performance and the commentary on that performance. I took mental notes during the game and can recall plays where I said, "that's a play that won't show up in the stat book." There were times when I saw runners look to bounce outside and Rivers would be in position and they would cut back inside where Ellis or Laws or even Connors was waiting to make the tackle. There was a playaction play that resulted in a touchdown to Cottom due to poor defense by the safety but Rivers made a wonderful play on it. The quarterback for the South flushed right looking to hit the WR in the flat. Rivers was not fool by the playaction and came up field toward the QB, preventing him from hitting the WR. Luckily, he was able to throw across his body to the TE waiting in the endzone, again, due to poor coverage by the safety. Rivers had made the play and if you see that same play in the NFL occur, chances are it does not result in the touchdown as it is usually not good for a QB to throw across his body. That's not a play that shows up in the stat book but you like to see a LB play with those type of instincts and allow his secondary to recover. The play was snuffed out and defended on the right side of the field. The safety failed the defense, unfortunately, on the left. There was a play where Forte got the ball and was heading left, Rivers came around the end and Forte tried to slip back up inside but ran right into Dan Connor. That's containment and forcing the action inside where you have the most help. If Forte does not see Rivers, he is able to get around the edge and likely would be in a one-on-one situation with the safety. Finally, I don't know how many times I saw the play go in the opposite direction from Rivers as well as Sedrick Ellis. Rivers played well in my opinion and did his job. If he would have played in the middle tonight, I would not have been shocked if he would have ended up with 7 to 10 tackles as it would have been harder to run away from him since he could pursue to both sides. This is the reason why I can certainly say that Connor was so up and down in his performance. With all the plays that were forced inside and given that he was playing in the middle with two speedster in Adibi and Rivers on the outside, I expected to see more and did not.

How did Patrick Lee perform?

I think they will make an attempt to draft a RB. I do not know if it'll come on day one, but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT. If I am not mistaken, the draft will only be two rounds on the first day. I just cannot see the Saints taking a RB in the first or second round unless a top prospect was to fall to them that they could not pass up. I can see them taking a RB in the third, fourth or fifth round. This draft is heavy with talent at the RB position, so you can end up getting a solid prospect in one of those rounds. Matt Forte would have been a great choice for this team in the third but I think he may have moved himself up into the late second round. For him to solidify that grade, however, he will have to run a decent 40. Don't sleep on Jacob Hester as a prospect in New Orleans. Kevin Smith will also draw consideration as will Tashard Choice. I think the Saints will look for a bigger back to compliment what they have in Bush and Pierre Thomas. I do believe that Bush needs to be used all over the field but I also believe that he can be the featured back on this team. I think you will see him and Pierre get a lot of sharing time and the Saints will want to add a back like Hester who can be utilized in short yardage situations. As far as Deuce is concerned, I don't know what the team will do with him. My gut feeling says that opening day 2008, he won't be on the team.

I will answer your question as to who the Saints would take if they were taking a RB in the first or second even though I do not think they will do this. But if they were to take a Rb in the first, I think Jonathan Stewart would be the choice. He's a bruising back with surprisingly good speed and the ability to punish runners. He would be a terrific complement to Reggie Bush. In the second, I think Forte (who will remind some of Deuce) would probably be the best option there of all the backs likely to go in the second round. Rashad Mendenhall would also draw some attention in the first if the Saints were looking to take a RB although I think that Stewart would give them more of a thunder/lightning combo with Stewart and Bush than with Mendenhall and Bush.

What do you think of Ray Rice Rutgers and Steve Slaton WVU?

What do you think of Ray Rice Rutgers and Steve Slaton WVU?

Slaton is a third rounder. Some team might take him in the second but I cannot see it. I think he will have to show that he can catch the ball coming out of the backfield. He did not get the opportunity to do that a great deal at West Virginia in the offense that they played in but he will have to do it in the NFL as teams will likely make him a third down back and change of pace runner. He can be solid for a team that already has a big back and is looking for a solid #2 RB. If Dallas gets rid of Jones and does not take a RB early or trade Barber, I could see Slaton fitting in nicely there as a backup. I think a situation like Cleveland or Baltimore would be ideal for him as a backup to either Jamal Lewis or Willis MaGahee. But I do not see him as a starter, particularly given his smallish frame. He's only 190 pounds and so it is difficult to envision him as anything more than what I have already described.

Ray Rice is a tough runner who runs more like a big back than you would think given his size. In many ways, he'll remind you of Pierre Thomas. He hits the hole and will keep pounding. Plays with a lot of heart. Some might compare him to Maurice Jones-Drew but he does not have MJD's speed. I also think that he is a buyer beware candidate due to the amount of tread he might have left on his tires. He has carried the ball a lot, well over 900 times in his career at Rutgers. The career span of RBs in the NFL is not high as it already is and given the amount of carries he has had, I cannot see him lasting very long if a team is looking to make him a featured back. I think he would be ideal in a role similar to what Michael Turner had San Diego.

As far as the Saints go with these two backs, neither would make much sense for us. We already have a back similar to Rice in Pierre and Reggie can do everything that Slaton can do and MUCH MUCH MORE. I know you did not specifically ask about these two as it concerned the Saints, but I thought I would share my thoughts to that regard just in case you were curious.

Slaton is a third rounder. Some team might take him in the second but I cannot see it. I think he will have to show that he can catch the ball coming out of the backfield. He did not get the opportunity to do that a great deal at West Virginia in the offense that they played in but he will have to do it in the NFL as teams will likely make him a third down back and change of pace runner. He can be solid for a team that already has a big back and is looking for a solid #2 RB. If Dallas gets rid of Jones and does not take a RB early or trade Barber, I could see Slaton fitting in nicely there as a backup. I think a situation like Cleveland or Baltimore would be ideal for him as a backup to either Jamal Lewis or Willis MaGahee. But I do not see him as a starter, particularly given his smallish frame. He's only 190 pounds and so it is difficult to envision him as anything more than what I have already described.

Ray Rice is a tough runner who runs more like a big back than you would think given his size. In many ways, he'll remind you of Pierre Thomas. He hits the hole and will keep pounding. Plays with a lot of heart. Some might compare him to Maurice Jones-Drew but he does not have MJD's speed. I also think that he is a buyer beware candidate due to the amount of tread he might have left on his tires. He has carried the ball a lot, well over 900 times in his career at Rutgers. The career span of RBs in the NFL is not high as it already is and given the amount of carries he has had, I cannot see him lasting very long if a team is looking to make him a featured back. I think he would be ideal in a role similar to what Michael Turner had San Diego.

As far as the Saints go with these two backs, neither would make much sense for us. We already have a back similar to Rice in Pierre and Reggie can do everything that Slaton can do and MUCH MUCH MORE. I know you did not specifically ask about these two as it concerned the Saints, but I thought I would share my thoughts to that regard just in case you were curious.

Thanks for your thoughts. Im a fan of trading out of the top ten personally. Adding either a 2nd or 3rd would be really sweet.

I look at New England and they always find a way to get more picks/ add more depth.

If Ellis, Rivers, Dorsey are gone I trade down and take either Philips or Cromartie. Maybe even Mike Jenkins is still there mid to late 1st.

Is there anyway you look at DeSean Jackson he kinda makes me nervous some compare him to Steve Smith or a Devin Hester type. Also who would be worthy of a WR pick at wideout in your opinion?

How did Patrick Lee perform?

Really, really well. I have not said anything about his performance to stay away from any possible homerism. He had one completed pass against him, in which he actually got his hands on the WR to strip this pass, but a perfect pass, and great catch made for an 11 yard completion. He was like glue the entire night. He will rise up boards after the combine when he runs his 40. He was the 2nd fastest player on the team this year, and should run a sub 4.4 40, combine that with being over 6'0", he will go early than projected. If he played the ball better, he would be a 1st rounder.

Cool, I respect your opinion. I am not making it seem like anything. You know, this kind of reminds me of the argument about Malcolm Jenkins' performance in the BCS Championshp. There were those of us who thought that LSU was gun shy about throwing in his direction and tried to throw away from him as much as possible save three plays, two of which he won (the interception and the defense on the deep ball to Byrd) and one where he gave up the touchdown in a man-zone defense on a perfectly drawn up play. Then there were others who claimed he was totally unimpressive and that the fact that LSU did not throw at him did not mean he was doing anything well.

That's how I see Rivers' performance and the commentary on that performance. I took mental notes during the game and can recall plays where I said, "that's a play that won't show up in the stat book." There were times when I saw runners look to bounce outside and Rivers would be in position and they would cut back inside where Ellis or Laws or even Connors was waiting to make the tackle. There was a playaction play that resulted in a touchdown to Cottom due to poor defense by the safety but Rivers made a wonderful play on it. The quarterback for the South flushed right looking to hit the WR in the flat. Rivers was not fool by the playaction and came up field toward the QB, preventing him from hitting the WR. Luckily, he was able to throw across his body to the TE waiting in the endzone, again, due to poor coverage by the safety. Rivers had made the play and if you see that same play in the NFL occur, chances are it does not result in the touchdown as it is usually not good for a QB to throw across his body. That's not a play that shows up in the stat book but you like to see a LB play with those type of instincts and allow his secondary to recover. The play was snuffed out and defended on the right side of the field. The safety failed the defense, unfortunately, on the left. There was a play where Forte got the ball and was heading left, Rivers came around the end and Forte tried to slip back up inside but ran right into Dan Connor. That's containment and forcing the action inside where you have the most help. If Forte does not see Rivers, he is able to get around the edge and likely would be in a one-on-one situation with the safety. Finally, I don't know how many times I saw the play go in the opposite direction from Rivers as well as Sedrick Ellis. Rivers played well in my opinion and did his job. If he would have played in the middle tonight, I would not have been shocked if he would have ended up with 7 to 10 tackles as it would have been harder to run away from him since he could pursue to both sides. This is the reason why I can certainly say that Connor was so up and down in his performance. With all the plays that were forced inside and given that he was playing in the middle with two speedster in Adibi and Rivers on the outside, I expected to see more and did not.

Some of what you say is true, some of what you say is what you want to see. Rivers made no plays of distinction. They didn't run away from Rivers like you state, they ran at him plenty, just not every single play, as you make it seem like when one play doesn't go straight at him, its because of some deep seeded respect for him. They went towards his side plenty, and I saw him blocked, on his knees, or just over-running the play on more than one occasion. He has every skill you could ask for, just doesn't seem to make the "BIG" play. If he played for UNC, would he be comparable to Sederic Hodge?

Some of what you say is true, some of what you say is what you want to see. Rivers made no plays of distinction. They didn't run away from Rivers like you state, they ran at him plenty, just not every single play, as you make it seem like when one play doesn't go straight at him, its because of some deep seeded respect for him. They went towards his side plenty, and I saw him blocked, on his knees, or just over-running the play on more than one occasion. He has every skill you could ask for, just doesn't seem to make the "BIG" play. If he played for UNC, would he be comparable to Sederic Hodge?

Wow Sederic Hodge I don't think Rivers can be that bad huh? lol

First off, I didn't watch the game..so with that said, I have a question....Everyone is saying Connor was playing poorly and that Rivers was making all sorts of plays..yet the stats don't show that...Now, I know that stats don't mean everything, but Connor led the team and game in tackles...and had an INT.

I don't know where all this talk about Connors not looking good comes from. Connors had a VERY solid game. I wouldn't say that he was dominating, but I noticed that he made several point-of-attack tackles and was in on a lot of plays. That INT was just good instincts and reaction on Connors part. I think that Connors looked the best out of all the LBs in the game. Highsmith close behind. I didn't think that Rivers had a great game. In fact I didn't think that any LBs had a dominating game. It was all about the DT/DEs in this game. Particularly Ellis and Trevor Laws.

All this talk about Connors not having a good game is some fantasy. He did have a good game and raised his stock IMHO.

I think that Rivers made one play of distinction. (I think it was him?) In a misdirection play rolling to the right, the RB ended up out on the edge on the left with NO ONE else besides Rivers out there. In space, with no help, Rivers contained the RB and forced the play to be no gain. That was the only play of distinction that I saw Rivers make.

If I had to rank the LBs that I was paying attention to.

1. Highsmith
2. Rivers
3. Connor

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom