Senior Bowl observations (1 Viewer)

rsonza

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
DL Sedrick Ellis - the real deal, this guy was virtually unblockable all game long, had numerous QB hurries, ran hard every play, esp on a long RB run where he tackled the guy 10 yds downfield; has some good leverage and uses his hands really well; if we have a shot to get this player, I think it'd be really worth it.

RB Matt Forte - good and punishing runner, even got through a couple arm tackles from LB Keith Rivers; actually awarded Senior Bowl MVP, I doubt he goes past the 2nd round

QB Chad Henne - he could be a potential QB for the Saints, maybe 3rd round? Looked good

QB Colt Brennan - not impressed, doesn't have a strong arm at all; threw mostly side-arm

Cromartie definitely moved into the first round after tonight.

Choice, Hester & Forte had great games at RB.

Ellis showed that he might be better than Dorsey

Connor got ran over on more than one rushing play. He didn't impress...

Brennan will be a 2nd day pick and it wouldn't be a shock if he lasts till the 5th or 6th round.

CB Cromartie - really nice CB, nice and tall, tackled well, almost got a couple picks, very athletic, don't know if he's related to the San Diego CB, but he looked good...maybe a 2nd round pick

Also, more on DL Sedrick Ellis - all the commentators called him the best player in the game...it'd be nice if the Saints had a good run stuffer and inside pass rusher; boy, he'd really help our CBs w/ their coverage, you can arguably say

I am going to watch the game tonight and make some observations.

But based on what you guys saw

I am calling it right now and you can hold it to me Henne is going in the late 1st round like Jason Campbell did in 2005.

Connor is not a physical presence in the midddle of the defense he simply looks to weak in the lower body.

Cromartie is goiong round 1.

CB Cromartie - really nice CB, nice and tall, tackled well, almost got a couple picks, very athletic, don't know if he's related to the San Diego CB, but he looked good...maybe a 2nd round pick

Also, more on DL Sedrick Ellis - all the commentators called him the best player in the game...it'd be nice if the Saints had a good run stuffer and inside pass rusher; boy, he'd really help our CBs w/ their coverage, you can arguably say

Ellis may have moved into the #1 pick overall...he had an outstanding game.

I am going to watch the game tonight and make some observations.

But based on what you guys saw

I am calling it right now and you can hold it to me Henne is going in the late 1st round like Jason Campbell did in 2005.

Connor is not a physical presence in the midddle of the defense he simply looks to weak in the lower body.

Cromartie is goiong round 1.

I agree about Dan Connor. He is smaller than Simoneau and I really don't think Connor would be much of an upgrade at MLB.

Cromartie looked spectacular.

More on DL Sedrick Ellis: good use of hands, good 1st step, explosive, good motor, did an interview after the game and actually a pretty nice kid....i don't think we can get this guy at #10, and I'm sure the 9 other teams above us will take another look at this guy.

And sorry if this a commercial for Ellis, but in the interview, he talked about the reason why he played in the Senior Bowl was b/c he wanted to play w/ the best, to play with the rest of the competition....in fact, he's going to the NFL Combine b/c he LOVES the competitiveness....DUDE, this guy checks out well in my book, and the analyst called him the best DL in the draft.

Draft Matt Forte is what i came away with. 3rd round he will definately be there. A first day talent there are other backs that will be drafted ahead of him but the man is Baby Deuce.

Ellis is the man, Rivers is a beast. USC aka the Pro Shop reminds me of the 90's and 80's Miami Teams.

Good Game.

Last edited:
Hester showed that he's got a long NFL career ahead of him. He can be a Mr. Versitile FB/RB for a team.

I agree with all the posts above too. Ellis, Forte, Cromartie all increased their stock significantly.

My observation only!!!

We need to get D.R.C (D. Cromartie) with our #10 pick. I think this guy can play in the NFL and I think at a high level. Hope he has a great combine to justify the 10th pick but I think we take him anyway b/c he will not be there for us in the 2nd.

T. Laws DT from ND would be a nice alternative to G. Dorsey and S. Ellis (they will both be gone by #6 pick). We should look at him in the 3rd or 4th round.

Now I'm going to get some heat from the black & gold nation, but remember my opinion only!!!

We should get Forte if he is there in the 3rd then we can replace Duce and get some cap room...

C. Jackson does not have the speed to play man to man in the NFL. He is a cover 2 CB.

Conner is not our answer at MLB. He got ran over numerous times today and is too slow.

Just my thoughts!!!

Because of this week, we have lost any chance of drafting Ellis, who is now a top five pick with a decent combine or team workout. Ellis has a chance to go very high, to bypass Dorsey if there is even a hint of a lingering health concern and Chris Long (depending on what a team is looking for).

Cromartie definitely moved into the first round after tonight.

Choice, Hester & Forte had great games at RB.

Ellis showed that he might be better than Dorsey

Connor got ran over on more than one rushing play. He didn't impress...

Brennan will be a 2nd day pick and it wouldn't be a shock if he lasts till the 5th or 6th round.

I think that Cromartie right now is still a second round pick. I thought he played well and expected him to do well. As I have said for weeks now, he and McKelvin are the two intriguing prospects at cornerback that impress me.

It goes without saying that Ellis played well. He's so EXPLOSIVE!!! He's tremendous and the one thing I will continue to reiterate that he does better than Dorsey is utilize his hands. That said, I think they are about neck and neck. Dorsey is incredible, has great use of leverage and can intimidate offenses. I am pulling for one of these guys in the black and gold.

Keith Rivers is awesome and if Ellis and Dorsey is gone, Rivers is my pick. He hits well, has great range, solid speed, good recognition and awarenes and just has a knack for being around the football.

I thought Dan Connor was up and down. I have heard praise for him all week long and there were times in this game where he showed what scouts have been raving about this week. But even though he has shown more athleticism than I think he was given credit for, he is still not as fluid as you like and plays a bit stiff. It showed on a couple of plays where he was a little slow to react. Keep in mind that he played with Trevor Laws, Lawrence Jackson, and Sedrick Ellis in front of him, and Adibi and Rivers beside him. That automatically gives you a bit of an advantage and so I think he performed up to expectation given his supporting cast. But I do not think his performance was eye-popping or moved him up into the top 15, much less the top 10.

Speaking of Laws, he did very well and probably moved himself up into the late second round with his performance. If he can maintain his good showings, he will solidify that grade.

Other than the fumble, Matt Forte look very decisive on his runs and ran with good speed and vision. He is looking like a second or early third rounder at this point and would be a solid replacement for Deuce McAllister should we decide to unload him.

I guess I will have more thoughts tonight and in the coming days, particularly as I start to prepare my first mock draft. Right now, I am enjoying Barack Obama's performance tonight in South Carolina and so I do not think that I will comment on everyone's performance as much as I would like to do.

PO Boy, you are absolutely right about Chevis Jackson and it was something I started considering this week. He will be solid in a cover-2 system, but his lack of speed will expose him if he is selected by a team that asks him to play more man. This is one of the reasons why I suggested last week or so that I thought Corey Webster was a better player coming out of LSU than Jackson despite that some people disagreed with me. Webster is better equipped to play man-to-man, has deceptive speed, and has solid fundamentals. Jackson plays the ball a little better in the air, I think but not by much. Jackson can be a very solid player in this league, he just needs to be in the right system.

Colt Brennan hurt his stock a lot. He will get drafted I believe, probably in the fifth or sixth round.

We need to get D.R.C (D. Cromartie) with our #10 pick. I think this guy can play in the NFL and I think at a high level. Hope he has a great combine to justify the 10th pick but I think we take him anyway b/c he will not be there for us in the 2nd.

T. Laws DT from ND would be a nice alternative to G. Dorsey and S. Ellis (they will both be gone by #6 pick). We should look at him in the 3rd or 4th round.

Now I'm going to get some heat from the black & gold nation, but remember my opinion only!!!

We should get Forte if he is there in the 3rd then we can replace Duce and get some cap room...

C. Jackson does not have the speed to play man to man in the NFL. He is a cover 2 CB.

Conner is not our answer at MLB. He got ran over numerous times today and is too slow.

Just my thoughts!!!

I would be ready to take Cromartie in the second round. I would not take him at #10. I think he's a guy that might still fall into the second. There will be some teams that will still second guess him because of where he went to school and the level of competition he played against. His senior bowl performance opened up eyes and showed that he can play against major competition and excel. He must continue his momentum at the combine. A great 40 time will catapult him even further up draft boards and definitely solidify an early second round grade, if not creep him up into the late first round.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom