Senior Bowl today (1 Viewer)

Yeah, never saw Okafor at all and I think Fisher only played the first series.

Had another look at Armstead, no idea why he's not on the roster, but again, he's got some physical tools to work with and can move well enough for a big guy and flashes some quickness too. But he looks soft to me, plays too high, technique is raw. No idea where the 'he's a beast' is coming from. He's got potential based on physical tools but he's didn't do anything great out there that I could see. Mirrored ok against a soft rush but gave up a pressure, a QB hit and a sack in half a game. Run blocking was ok but missed a couple blocks too at the second level.

Sorry if maybe that's totally different from what everyone else saw but that's my opinion.

I'm confused now.

South Roster:

72 Oday Aboushi OL 6'6" 310 Viriginia
76 D.J. Fluker OL 6'6" 335 Alabama
64 Dalton Freeman OL 6'5" 285 Clemson
65 Garrett Gilkey OL 6'7" 320 Chadron State
69 Lane Johnson OL 6'6" 303 Oklahoma
73 Xavier Nixon OL 6'5" 314 Florida
57 Brian Schwenke OL 6'4" 300 Cal
71 Dallas Thomas OL 6'5" 310 Tennessee
74 J.C. Tretter OL 6'4" 300 Cornell
67 Larry Warford OL 6'3" 343 Kentucky

North Roster:

52 Braxston Cave OL 6'3" 304 Notre Dame
79 Eric Fisher OL 6'7" 305 Central Michigan
74 Kyle Long OL 6'7" 312 Oregon
70 Joe Madsen OL 6'4" 305 West Virginia
67 Justin Pugh OL 6'5" 297 Syracuse
76 David Quessenberry OL 6'6" 295 San Jose State
72 Hugh Thornton OL 6'4" 310 Illinois
58 Ricky Wagner OL 6'6" 318 Wisconsin
66 Brian Winters OL 6'5" 310 Kent State

Armstead and Mills were mid-week replacements for Thomas and Fluker.

Had another look at Armstead, no idea why he's not on the roster, but again, he's got some physical tools to work with and can move well enough for a big guy and flashes some quickness too. But he looks soft to me, plays too high, technique is raw. No idea where the 'he's a beast' is coming from. He's got potential based on physical tools but he's didn't do anything great out there that I could see. Mirrored ok against a soft rush but gave up a pressure, a QB hit and a sack in half a game. Run blocking was ok but missed a couple blocks too at the second level.

Sorry if maybe that's totally different from what everyone else saw but that's my opinion.

I said he was a beast but he isn't. He is a beast in the making that I really like. He has been playing at Arkansas-Pinebluff. He was a mid week replacement and this is the first time he's going against this kind of talent. He is still raw but you can tell he's had good coaching considering the level of competition but nothing like he would have got at a top tier school. He has great mobility and still needs to add weight.

I don't expect him to be a first round pick that goes to the Pro Bowl his rookie season. I do think he is a guy that can contribute right away as a backup OT and play his first season as a 3rd OT in run formations. I do think in a couple seasons he could be a stud.

Check it out.
http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/draft-prospect-ot-terron-armstead-283896/

Was it me or were the cornerbacks in this game cleaning up? Granted I slept a lot. But when my eyes were open i kept seeing interceptions.

Then again I only saw 2. I was tired. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys, as man who questioned Ansah, I'll be the first to admit that I WAS WRONG. Dont know if it was the D BYU played, or what have you, but he didnt look like that in their games. Pound for pound, 1 on 1, that kid will be a hand full in a few years, maybe even now. He just needs pro coaching. I knew he had potential, now I've seen it in real life against the BEST KIDS IN COLLEGE, now I'm a believer. God bless events like the Senior Bowl! Meanwhile, I think Ansah just played himself out of our range. If he kills it at the combine, I think may be the first D player off the board. Top 10 easily, like Aldon Smith.

I've been high on Ansah for a while, but I do admit, he is very raw. He is basically Jimmy Graham on defense. 1 year of playing football. The guy knew NOTHING about football until he walked on.

He interviewed on SirusXM the other day, and his rawness was obvious. Jim Miller asked im what were some of his favorite moves (spin, rip, etc) and he basically said I just like to run real fast at the QB..lol. Gotta love it but the kid will need a lot of work. But at the same time I think thats what makes him special right now.

He is not overthinking, just using his world class athleticism and owning guys. In the NFL, atleast in the beginning, this will translate to a "flash" player. You will see him make plays and dominate, and you will see him completely disappear as teams use his inexperience against him.

The good thing about him is he is smart, young, hungry, and he loves the physicality of the game. He is a guy you can put out there every snap and he will give it 100%.

At worst, he will be a hard working player who will make mistakes, but also make game changing plays.

At best, he will be a dominant player who will be disruptive vs the pass and the run, and can play every down in the 3-4 as a stand up OLB, and with his hands in the dirt.

It will be interesting to see where he is drafted because you have to project so much with him. With all that said, if he is there at 15, I'd take him.

Southeastern Louisiana University Alford went all out today. Clearly a Round 2 to Round 3 pick for any team. I wanted to get Tracy Porter back but Robert Alford is ready. Considering the school he went to he will probably end up in 5th or 6th round. He is a steal....

GO LIONS!!!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMFgpSM6QZk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NhXfc5m1Y1g" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I've been high on Ansah for a while, but I do admit, he is very raw. He is basically Jimmy Graham on defense. 1 year of playing football. The guy knew NOTHING about football until he walked on.

He interviewed on SirusXM the other day, and his rawness was obvious. Jim Miller asked im what were some of his favorite moves (spin, rip, etc) and he basically said I just like to run real fast at the QB..lol. Gotta love it but the kid will need a lot of work. But at the same time I think thats what makes him special right now.

He is not overthinking, just using his world class athleticism and owning guys. In the NFL, atleast in the beginning, this will translate to a "flash" player. You will see him make plays and dominate, and you will see him completely disappear as teams use his inexperience against him.

The good thing about him is he is smart, young, hungry, and he loves the physicality of the game. He is a guy you can put out there every snap and he will give it 100%.

At worst, he will be a hard working player who will make mistakes, but also make game changing plays.

At best, he will be a dominant player who will be disruptive vs the pass and the run, and can play every down in the 3-4 as a stand up OLB, and with his hands in the dirt.

It will be interesting to see where he is drafted because you have to project so much with him. With all that said, if he is there at 15, I'd take him.

Ding ding ding

Even if he doesnt start..he could have an aldon smith impact. He generates so much power at impact. I have a fear tht hell be gone b4 we pick. However Trading back and still getting a Mingo Okafor Jordan Montgomery or Buchanan Jenkins is still a nice consolation Prize. I think buchanan is going to be a steal though.

Southeastern Louisiana University Alford went all out today. Clearly a Round 2 to Round 3 pick for any team. I wanted to get Tracy Porter back but Robert Alford is ready. Considering the school he went to he will probably end up in 5th or 6th round. He is a steal....

GO LIONS!!!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMFgpSM6QZk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NhXfc5m1Y1g" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
Been high on this kid for a minute! Straight up baller!

The north's DL seemed to dominate. All the QBs stunk, Gillislee (hope I spelled that right) seems like a multi-dimensional threat.

Ya, I dont think Okafor was in there at all. Weird, cause there was no mention of an injury or anything.

I said he was a beast but he isn't. He is a beast in the making that I really like. He has been playing at Arkansas-Pinebluff. He was a mid week replacement and this is the first time he's going against this kind of talent. He is still raw but you can tell he's had good coaching considering the level of competition but nothing like he would have got at a top tier school. He has great mobility and still needs to add weight.

I don't expect him to be a first round pick that goes to the Pro Bowl his rookie season. I do think he is a guy that can contribute right away as a backup OT and play his first season as a 3rd OT in run formations. I do think in a couple seasons he could be a stud.

Check it out.
http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/draft-prospect-ot-terron-armstead-283896/

Sorry, I think I misunderstood then. And also, I've been looking at OT's who can come in and start based on the scenario where Bushrod leaves in free agency.

Certainly what I saw would mesh with a smaller school prospect with perhaps less time to prepare than others. I'd be far more concerned if he was a big school guy who'd been there all week. And oddly, the player who Armstead reminds me of a little bit is Bushrod. He's raw and his technique is unpolished, but he didn't look like a fish out of water. And as I said, it's clear he's got the physical tools to work with at the next level. With time and coaching and hard work on his part, I could see him develop into a good left tackle in the NFL.

I'm not convinced he faced tough competition in that game though as I don't think the rushers did that well (Margus Hunt's play was not as impressive as his physique). Maybe he had a chance to do that in the practices. Lemonier possibly provided the best pash rush from that side but I'm not sure he ever faced Armstead.

So yeah, if we need a 4-5th round tackle to develop, Armstead wouldn't be a bad choice at all. His deficiencies are largely all correctable and, while there's never any guarantee a player pans out, he could develop into a starting caliber LT.

I too really like Alford. I don't think he'd be ready to play right off the bat in anything more than a limited role but the kid has skills so who knows. I do know he could bring a much needed spark to our return game, be a damn fine gunner while he slowly gets worked in on defense. I also agree about him having the skills and tape of a 2nd round pick, possibly even a first round pick but that is so hard to judge based on the level of competition. If he can get on a team with a good secondary coach he should turn out to be a gem. Wish he was about 2" taller and 10lbs heavier but he isn't undersized for a corner.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood then. And also, I've been looking at OT's who can come in and start based on the scenario where Bushrod leaves in free agency.

Certainly what I saw would mesh with a smaller school prospect with perhaps less time to prepare than others. I'd be far more concerned if he was a big school guy who'd been there all week. And oddly, the player who Armstead reminds me of a little bit is Bushrod. He's raw and his technique is unpolished, but he didn't look like a fish out of water. And as I said, it's clear he's got the physical tools to work with at the next level. With time and coaching and hard work on his part, I could see him develop into a good left tackle in the NFL.

I'm not convinced he faced tough competition in that game though as I don't think the rushers did that well (Margus Hunt's play was not as impressive as his physique). Maybe he had a chance to do that in the practices. Lemonier possibly provided the best pash rush from that side but I'm not sure he ever faced Armstead.

So yeah, if we need a 4-5th round tackle to develop, Armstead wouldn't be a bad choice at all. His deficiencies are largely all correctable and, while there's never any guarantee a player pans out, he could develop into a starting caliber LT.

I like when players negatives are needing to add a small amount of weight when the player has a big frame to support it. He is clearly athletic enough to add another 15lbs without impacting his athletic ability. The other knock is he just needs better coaching, you can bet he'll get at the NFL level. If he is there in the 4th and we don't jump at him I'll be upset but from everything I've read he is flying up draft boards and may be gone long before the 4th. He isn't a dominant run blocker but he isn't bad either and to be honest, I really couldn't care less about run blocking at LOT. Our LOT's job is to protect Brees, protect Brees and protect Brees in our pass happy offense then occasionally get out in front in the screen game.

I really hope we address OT in free agency. Finding a day 1 starting LOT in anything besides the first round is a long shot. There are plenty of salaries we can dump and simply by restructuring Brees can open up plenty of salary space to go after an elite OT as well as a couple defensive players. There is just a combination of good defensive talent in the draft with limited defensive talent in free agency combined with the best and deepest OT pool in free agency I can remember. Even if we sign a Joe Thomas in free agency I still want Armstead. You need three good OTs and we've been getting by with just one every season. Too much is riding on the health of one LOT.

Also if Armstead's 40 time is an actual 4.8 then even if he doesn't work out at OT, he could drop 25lbs and shave another tenth of a second he would be a beast of a blocking TE that can still get downfield with a huge frame and wingspan. He may not be able to catch (dunno) but at worse you have a great blocker on kick returns, an "is eligible" OT, blocking TE and possibly even a TE that can catch passes. I really think he'll work out as an OT though.

The Saints will not stop drafting a raw talent if they see the potential. Jimmy Graham and Akeem Hicks are the perfect example.

As of today, in my opinion, the biggest need we have is left tackle, followed by a safety that can prevent the big play and putting the secondary in order. A pass rusher goes first to me.

This all will change, and we will not draft by biggest need. Folks, we should expect a very interesting 3 months, in which we will learn the design of our new defense. We will see the destruction of the old system and the process of building a brand new one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom