Rumor Senior Bowl week Rumor Mill (Saints related) (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
Another Senior Bowl practice week “Hot Off the Press” rumor mill report from Charlie Campbell:
🤔

“The NFL was shocked when New Orleans Saints' Sean Payton decided to step down as head coach, and his resignation could have big ramifications on the veteran quarterback marketplace. Sources with the Saints organization said the team was inclined toward targeting a veteran quarterback like Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson or Derek Carr. The team has a good defense that almost carried the Saints into the playoffs this year despite losing starting quarterback Jameis Winston to a season-ending injury, so the franchise felt it was in position to win now. That mindset could have seen New Orleans interested in using its first-round pick in a trade package rather than for taking a rookie.

Payton's departure could change that plan. Coaches know, hoewver, that NFL stands for "Not For Long" so the team's new coach could easily be of the mindset to make a big push for a veteran quarterback to try to win big immediately as Payton's successor.”

Interesting… I believe that if Dennis Allen is named HC, and the majority of the existing coaching staff remains in place, that the Saints will be in the market for a solid veteran QB (whoever that may be) and stay in “win now” mode.

However, should they opt for an outside hire at HC, then that could spell that individual hitting “reset” on the Saints. A brand new HC coming in from the field could likely mean they pick their own staff, they want “their” choice at QB, and they go for young players to re-imagine the roster. 😬

I want Allen… I want Dennis Allen at HC, Carmichael running the offense, Nielsen or Richard running the defense (well, Allen still runs the D)… and continuity remains.
…but that continuity is a good thing!

This team is ready to win now! A couple of good moves, and the Saints are a sure-fire playoff team, and once you make the dance, anything can happen!!!

The current roster plus Derek Carr, a solid veteran WR, Michael Thomas back, a mid-round WR, and at least solid picks with what’s left… and above all else HEALTH!!!
…and the Saints are a better version of the 49ers right now as their floor!!!

The more they talk about continuity the more I feel like this team is stuck in the past and will suffer because of it. This is a talented team and has players on offense and defense.

if a new coach comes in with a new staff the worse you'd see is maybe a slow start to the season because the players are executing a new system but the concepts are still the same (it's football) no different than if DA took over the players are going to have to listen to a new voice, different adjustments so it's going to be a new feel going into the 2022 season regardless of HC.

This team can hit the ground running because of the talent on the roster not because we made DA the head coach. Get a guy in here that has a new vision for the club and get the most out of this talented roster, DA sounds more and more like a baby sitter.

The more they talk about continuity the more I feel like this team is stuck in the past and will suffer because of it. This is a talented team and has players on offense and defense.

if a new coach comes in with a new staff the worse you'd see is maybe a slow start to the season because the players are executing a new system but the concepts are still the same (it's football) no different than if DA took over the players are going to have to listen to a new voice, different adjustments so it's going to be a new feel going into the 2022 season regardless of HC.

This team can hit the ground running because of the talent on the roster not because we made DA the head coach. Get a guy in here that has a new vision for the club and get the most out of this talented roster, DA sounds more and more like a baby sitter.

Yeah, all those years of winning only 12 or 13 games were terrible.

No respectable coach is going to break what's not broken. He may want his people in the building but that doesn't mean they'll implement wholesale change. Tomlin didn't walk in the door and say I'm a defensive guy let's fire most of the defensive staff. Payton is gone and this is an opportunity to try some new things. Obviously, the QB decision will be one of the most important decisions but some of you guys sound like you are afraid of change when the biggest changes have already occurred: Drew and Payton are gone. We might as well embrace instead of running from it by promoting the so-called safe choice.

No respectable coach is going to break what's not broken. He may want his people in the building but that doesn't mean they'll implement wholesale change. Tomlin didn't walk in the door and say I'm a defensive guy let's fire most of the defensive staff. Payton is gone and this is an opportunity to try some new things. Obviously, the QB decision will be one of the most important decisions but some of you guys sound like you are afraid of change when the biggest changes have already occurred: Drew and Payton are gone. We might as well embrace instead of running from it by promoting the so-called safe choice.
That era is over, you can't keep it going if what made it has left the building.

If DA is hired it's not to keep the past going but because DA is familiar with the culture, but is he stuck with the current staff on offense? does he feel obligated to keep the status quo especially when that offense struggled with the personnel, will DA get to breath new blood into the offensive system and playing style or is he here to keep the status quo?

Last edited:
That era is over, you can't keep it going if what made is has left the building.

If DA is hired it's not to keep the past going but because DA is familiar with the culture but is he stuck with the current staff on offense, does he feel obligated to keep the status quo especially when that offense struggled with the personell and concepts, will DA get to breath new blood into the offensive system and playing style or is he here to keep the status quo.

The offense struggled because they were playing guys off the street because of injuries and COVID, not because of the coaching. You could make the argument that this past season was Payton's best coaching job ever given what he had to work with.

FWIW, the best win of the Saints 2021/22 season was the game @ Tampa where DA ran the show.

…he also accomplished that w/out both starting OTs among the myriad of injuries.
That's an arbitrary argument, because its still a Sean Payton led team.

Last edited:
Another Senior Bowl practice week “Hot Off the Press” rumor mill report from Charlie Campbell:
🤔

“The NFL was shocked when New Orleans Saints' Sean Payton decided to step down as head coach, and his resignation could have big ramifications on the veteran quarterback marketplace. Sources with the Saints organization said the team was inclined toward targeting a veteran quarterback like Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson or Derek Carr. The team has a good defense that almost carried the Saints into the playoffs this year despite losing starting quarterback Jameis Winston to a season-ending injury, so the franchise felt it was in position to win now. That mindset could have seen New Orleans interested in using its first-round pick in a trade package rather than for taking a rookie.

Payton's departure could change that plan. Coaches know, hoewver, that NFL stands for "Not For Long" so the team's new coach could easily be of the mindset to make a big push for a veteran quarterback to try to win big immediately as Payton's successor.”

Interesting… I believe that if Dennis Allen is named HC, and the majority of the existing coaching staff remains in place, that the Saints will be in the market for a solid veteran QB (whoever that may be) and stay in “win now” mode.

However, should they opt for an outside hire at HC, then that could spell that individual hitting “reset” on the Saints. A brand new HC coming in from the field could likely mean they pick their own staff, they want “their” choice at QB, and they go for young players to re-imagine the roster. 😬

I want Allen… I want Dennis Allen at HC, Carmichael running the offense, Nielsen or Richard running the defense (well, Allen still runs the D)… and continuity remains.
…but that continuity is a good thing!

This team is ready to win now! A couple of good moves, and the Saints are a sure-fire playoff team, and once you make the dance, anything can happen!!!

The current roster plus Derek Carr, a solid veteran WR, Michael Thomas back, a mid-round WR, and at least solid picks with what’s left… and above all else HEALTH!!!
…and the Saints are a better version of the 49ers right now as their floor!!!

I’m not sure any of those vet QBs are going to be available. It sounds like the Seahawks will wait until next year to consider trading Wilson. I read something that said Josh McDaniels is high on Derek Carr. And I think Rodgers is leaning towards staying in Green Bay.

I don't know. But, a continuation of how things have been run in this case is not a bad thing.
Those were Payton lead teams. This is the issue I'm having with this "continuity" argument were people think this team is going to look like Payton is still in the building because people are "familiar" with the coaches he hired.

I'm not against DA if he is hired, I'm against no changes after hiring him because of "continuity".

He has to be able to put his stamp on this team like any outside coach would. What if Allen has a different view of the offense can he not change it because these are Payton's guys.

Last edited:
Not, we were playing UDFA at the skill position for the past 3-4 seasons, this year was about our top two guys missing the year because of injury and having to depend of UDFA guys, the offense needs top talent at the skill position not cheap talent.

You are right. The past few years with Drew, the offense evolved into getting the ball to MT and Kamara and everyone else block. They tried to change that when they picked up Sanders, but then MT got hurt and then the pandemic. That's why we have the roster we have now, but that's obviously not good enough anymore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom