Sentimental time of year (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure about anyone else but this time of year usually gets to me. I find myself reminiscing about being a kid and how excited this time of year made me. I find myself having YouTube on in the background listening/watching 80s holiday commercials and 80s thanksgiving day parades. Seems like there is less excitement about holidays these days. The tv was full of traditional holiday specials and now you have to rent most of them if you can find them. Anyway just wondering if anyone does something similar.

PS. I just saw a commercial about thanksgiving football with Brent Mussberger and Irv Cross. I used to love Cross and his voice. I just googled him and he is 81!! Man that flew by....

I too have that nostalgia for the holiday feelings as a youth. But I don't think it's possible to experience the wonderment of the holidays as an adult, as you did when you were a kid. Too many family members have passed away that were part of those feelings and memories for me. I just hope we created that sense of feeling for our 2 boys when they were young. The oldest(20) has told us he had great holidays, but the youngest(16) still thinks we're idiots and don't know anything.

We had a large family... parents had a ton of brothers and sisters. As they got older, they wanted to spend the holidays with their 2 kids (almost everyone had 2 kids) instead of with the large family. Wish my kids would have gotten to experience the large family gatherings, but it is what it is.

I tried reviving the old tradition, but it didn't last. At least you can still watch football.

This is probably for a different thread, but I've often regretted that I will never be able to give my children the childhood I had. There's no amount of money or effort I can put into it to give them the experiences I had as a kid, which were generally pretty amazing. The memories of the 80s and early 90s are like nothing they will get to experience and I feel like I'm failing them as a parent to not give them those memories.

This time of the year really makes me reminisce on my childhood and how great things were. I actually just found some Christmas photos from '95 and they brought a tear to my eye. I was 12, my older sister was 14, and my youngest was 8. It was the last Christmas I spent in the home I grew up in, in Michigan, before moving West. šŸ˜„ Then there's memories of my nana and grandpa....it's just not the same anymore.

This is probably for a different thread, but I've often regretted that I will never be able to give my children the childhood I had. There's no amount of money or effort I can put into it to give them the experiences I had as a kid, which were generally pretty amazing. The memories of the 80s and early 90s are like nothing they will get to experience and I feel like I'm failing them as a parent to not give them those memories.

Different Era so don't beat urself up over it.

We didn't have social media, internet etc etc. Things aren't remotely the same and kids aren't nearly as interested in a road trip to the Appalachians in a cabin for a week unless wifi or cell signal is strong. Lol

This will be the 10th anniversary of my nephew being KIA. It was November 25, 2010, which was Thanksgiving that year. I dunno how my BIL and SIL (his parents) feel inside, but we've spent several with them and we don't dwell but everybody knows that's not how it's "supposed" to be.

Had the "same" Thanksgiving for about 25 years and it was great. But then my mom got sick of cooking because that was her reality of what Thanksgiving really was and I moved away from my home state and then Willie died and it's been not so much to get nostalgic about ever since.

I never thought much about the start of the holiday traditions I grew up with. I always assumed it's what my parents did growing up. But now that I know better, it can't have been for various reasons. I was the baby so by the time I came along, it WAS their tradition; but when it stopped being what I thought it SHOULD be, I was bummed and internally petulant. And one of these years I'll grow up but, dammit, I want my kid holidays back again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom