Serious question (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Why does anyone think that Sean Payton will be a good commentator? I’ve watched him talk over seemingly half of my life, and though he is intelligent and knows football, he’s a horrible talker. Half of the time he’s nonsensical. For the life of me I don’t understand why he is so sought after. Honestly, I also had some concerns about Brees but Payton will likely be worse. This isn’t like Cameron Jordan, who you know will be great.

Why does anyone think that Sean Payton will be a good commentator? I’ve watched him talk over seemingly half of my life, and though he is intelligent and knows football, he’s a horrible talker. Half of the time he’s nonsensical. For the life of me I don’t understand why he is so sought after. Honestly, I also had some concerns about Brees but Payton will likely be worse. This isn’t like Cameron Jordan, who you know will be great.

He's not afraid to talk and he knows how to make complicated football stuff sound simple. That's all you really need to be really good in that role.

I don't think he'll ever be Madden in a booth, but he could be a good to great guy in the studio pre/post game.

I am with you. I have seen him do guest appearances and I wasn't impressed. During press conferences, he always try to find the right words to say or answer questions. There is a long pause or hesitations in his speech. He is ok to do some quest appearances but not someone who can sit and do a regular round table. Rex Ryan is better at it than him. In my opinion.

I love me some SP but his mic skills need work. He's a bright guy and all but he has a hard time getting his point across. It's like he can never find the words. I listened to him on Dan Patrick this season and he just sort of rambles. Like this:

"Look. Here's the thing. In our league, and you know this, teams are going to face challenges. You know that going in so the question becomes how do we approach these challenges? Bill told me about that years ago but in our league you don't know until you know. And look, that's the thing. When you know that you know, then you know."

I’m sure part of the stipulation is going to be getting his daughter a job also . So I’m sure Megan will have a network sideline job next season .

This could be the very thing that keeps Payton from taking an early nfl job.

Get his daughter a nice tv gig . Then take the HC job in 2 years

Honestly I feel that way about most of these people in sports talk. Just because they played or coached does not make them entertaining to listen to on a regular basis. There exceptions but for the most part brutal.

This is a bad take. He's a great talker. Just because he's tight lipped with media doesn't make him a "horrible talker"

He's not nonsensical at all.

Nonsensical is saying dumb ish like CSP is a "horrible talker"

This is a bad take. He's a great talker. Just because he's tight lipped with media doesn't make him a "horrible talker"

He's not nonsensical at all.

Nonsensical is saying dumb ish like CSP is a "horrible talker"
He is intelligent but his speaking pace is well suited for a coach but a little too slow for the broadcast booth.

Although I cant wait to hear him say, "he's got an elbow"

He is intelligent but his speaking pace is well suited for a coach but a little too slow for the broadcast booth.

Although I cant wait to hear him say, "he's got an elbow"
curious if you watched his presser yesterday? his speaking pace was excellent.

He was authentic, likable, and funny. His jab at Eli Apple was great, and he kept right on rolling.

I don't see how anyone who actually watched him talk for an hour and a half by himself yesterday can say he is a "horrible talker."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom