Seriously? One Good or One Bad game is how you pick a future QB (1 Viewer)

Look, I'll put it this way. While a layman (i.e. this board) can't know for sure how things will turn out, we can look at history and know what we are up against. I'm trying to think of a QB who has looked as bad as Taysom Hill at 30+ that turned into an elite starter and I can't think of one. That's not to say it can't happen. That's not to say he won't ball out against Atlanta (I even said I kind of expect it in my other thread). But we need to also be realistic. Hill is getting his tryout and it's not going especially well.

If that makes me a "hater" so be it, but I don't think it does.
Rich Gannon.
Although he was just meh, until he went to Oakland. Then suddenly became a great QB. I used to serve him at a restaurant I worked at. He told me that it took him awhile to find the right environment and get completely comfortable with everything that comes with being “the main guy”. His words
To add to my post: the Raiders fan base was not thrilled when they signed him.

Until proven different, I’m going to trust Sean Payton and his evaluation of who should start at QB. His track record speaks for itself and to think otherwise is baseless.
Taysom didn’t look great yesterday, but he was good enough to not lose and if Payton says Taysom ran the offense the way he was asked, that’s good enough for me

OP is right to the degree that we don't have enough information to assess whether TH will be reliable or not

just like we did not have enough information at the beginning of the year to rate Drew's arm or DA's playcalling or Cam's laziness or Latt's head casedness or DD's regression or any of the ridiculous conclusions we jumped to with a small sample of data
Last week Team Taysom was like, "Haaahaa! See? Told ya!" This week they're all "Let's wait and see."

Last week Team Jameis was like "Let's wait and see," while this week they're like, "SMH. Told you."

I was all for letting next week's game be the tiebreaker, but what if Atlanta brings the best out of him the way it does Cam Jordan.

I think 5 starts would be fair to gauge improvements, decrease TOs, demonstrate increased confidence, etc.

Rich Gannon.
Although he was just meh, until he went to Oakland. Then suddenly became a great QB. I used to serve him at a restaurant I worked at. He told me that it took him awhile to find the right environment and get completely comfortable with everything that comes with being “the main guy”. His words
To add to my post: the Raiders fan base was not thrilled when they signed him.

I think there's a difference between what we are trying to do with Taysom, what we've seen from Taysom, and what Gannon was as a journeyman. We've seen journeymen blossom for a few years many times. Gannon had like 40+ starts before the Raiders.

Look, I'll put it this way. While a layman (i.e. this board) can't know for sure how things will turn out, we can look at history and know what we are up against. I'm trying to think of a QB who has looked as bad as Taysom Hill at 30+ that turned into an elite starter and I can't think of one. That's not to say it can't happen. That's not to say he won't ball out against Atlanta (I even said I kind of expect it in my other thread). But we need to also be realistic. Hill is getting his tryout and it's not going especially well.

If that makes me a "hater" so be it, but I don't think it does.

This. I want to start this by saying I really like Hill. He seems to love the game and is willing to do whatever is asked of him to get onto the field. I love the way Payton has used him the last few seasons. But.....

I‘ve been watching football for roughly 40 years and have seen a lot of QBs come and go. While I’m by no means an “expert” I have watched enough to consider myself an educated amateur observer. After seeing Hill’s two starts (and a few preseasons, and occasional spot play) I don’t see ”the next Steve Young” (probably the only running QB whose game transitioned into becoming a pocket passer ever). I see a faster more athletic version of Tim Tebow. To continue winning Payton needs to embrace it. Eventually the team is going to need rely on Hill’s arm to win a big game.....

If we are looking for more direct comparisons of 30+ year old mobile QBs becoming elite - Steve Young. Young spent 2 years in Tampa and was at 11 TDs, 21 INTs. Spent some years backing up Montana and didnt become a full time starter till nearly 31 and is in the HoF.

Went to BYU as well. Backed up a legend. Rushed for 4k yards.

Gannon and Plunkett had sneaky athletic mobility...not on Taysom's level to be sure. However both had numerous starts as NFL qb's before their success in Oakland. That being said, Taysom's performance as a passer yesterday does make one pump the brakes a bit on the heir apparent tag and comparisons to Steve Young.

Weekly knee jerk reactions from a fan MB... Devoid of context.... Is the only way we can pick a future QB! Get with the program!

180efc3227b70e92b88fd3e71826fbad.jpg

If we are looking for more direct comparisons of 30+ year old mobile QBs becoming elite - Steve Young. Young spent 2 years in Tampa and was at 11 TDs, 21 INTs. Spent some years backing up Montana and didnt become a full time starter till nearly 31 and is in the HoF.

Went to BYU as well. Backed up a legend. Rushed for 4k yards.

Like I said I don’t see it. I’m not saying it can’t happen but the odds are extremely low. Young was a better pure passer than Hill and had the better arm of the two. Young actively worked on transitioning from a “run first” QB to a pocket QB. His game went from a ”one read and go” to successfully operating Walsh’s multiple read West Coast O. Now you can argue that Randall Cunningham also made the transition from a run first QB to pocket passer (but he was no where near as successful as Young).

Last week Team Taysom was like, "Haaahaa! See? Told ya!" This week they're all "Let's wait and see."

Last week Team Jameis was like "Let's wait and see," while this week they're like, "SMH. Told you."

I was all for letting next week's game be the tiebreaker, but what if Atlanta brings the best out of him the way it does Cam Jordan.

I think 5 starts would be fair to gauge improvements, decrease TOs, demonstrate increased confidence, etc.

I hope to God we don’t have to see 5 starts. I’m hoping only two more, and I’m not so sure we can win both with Hill.

I'd much prefer the threads 5 years ago when Drew was our known and trusted starter and people were wondering if he still has anything left in him. That way I knew the OP was full of bs and we all came together and laughed at him/her.

Like I said I don’t see it. I’m not saying it can’t happen but the odds are extremely low. Young was a better pure passer than Hill and had the better arm of the two. Young actively worked on transitioning from a “run first” QB to a pocket QB. His game went from a ”one read and go” to successfully operating Walsh’s multiple read West Coast O. Now you can argue that Randall Cunningham also made the transition from a run first QB to pocket passer (but he was no where near as successful as Young).

Young is also very smart, and seems to have studied the game like Brees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom