Seriously people? (1 Viewer)

It does have to be said that those heading up the Hornets marketing department needs to be fired. I don't know who they got running it but I majored in marketing and in my classes past semester we discussed their poor marketing strategies. Putting up a few billboards here and there and running commercials every now and then aren't going to cut it. This is too important and there isn't enough time to play around.

Baton Rouge is a huge market. They really need to get into that. Also, they should market the team around Lafayette (as AsaPW said) and the MS and AL gulf coast at least by selling merchandise and promoting them there. Offer specials to them for weekend games, etc.

Also, its flat out pathetic when the news stations talk about potential Saints draft choices, comments from SP in the off season etc. etc. before the best in the western conference Hornets victory. I witnessed this Monday night and its awful. I don't know what can be done about that but they at least need to be kissing the local media's *** to get more coverage.

Still, it pretty much boils down to the following:

1. New Orleans is not a historically great basketball town.
2. New Orleans is not a large city.
3. The Hornets have done nothing to make the team seem like the the city's own team.
4. The media contracts have been a disaster.
5. The move to Oklahoma was a disaster.
6. Shinn was oblvious to the make-up of the metropolitan area and where fan support lies.
7. All of this and the Jazz's history have locals believe the team's departure is inevitable.
8. You can't succeed when indifferent to showing your product to 50% of the market.
9. New Orleans crime, the arena's location, and night games scare away suburbanites.
10. A vacuum of any political leadership in New Orleans.

Shinn brought this down on himself. There was NO reason whatsoever for that team to spend a second year in OKC. NONE. Why invest time or money in supporting a team whose owner pretty much has had a carte blanche from the league to haul butt the first chance he gets, regardless of the concessions the state has already given him?

The most uniformed statement to date. Clearly ignorant of the truth. The State of Louisiana ASKED the Hornets to remain in OKC a second year. As the city recovered from Katrina, the State thought it would be best if only one team came back at a time and it was decided, with the history and the events that occurred in the Superdome with Katrina, it would be best to bring the Saints back first. The Hornets did not ask to remain in OKC. In fact, the State of Louisiana had to amend the lease to let the Hornets remain in OKC a second year. Before you post, know your facts.

We just bought a four game six pack for the remainder of the year with some other tickets for Boston and other "big" games mixed in. I cant wait to get back for the next one we have tickets to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom