Server 2003 Q? perhaps dumb, perhaps not. (2 Viewers)

Saint77

Burrrrrrrsitis!
Reaction score
I have a client who has a DEll power edge tower with one RAID card with two drives hooked up to it to total 80GBs. they have another disk on an IDE channel set up to run backups too. They added a third drive, a 300GB job, intot he last open IDE hookup as a slave to the 80GB backup drive. They have the RAID drive partitions as C, and D. They have all thier user folders, and mapped drive folders on the D drive, but its running out of space.

What I was thinking of doing is transfer the contents of the D drive over to the new 300GB drive, then eliminate the old D partition, and name the new drive D. I am sure of the best way to go about that though, suggestions?

Also, will this screw with permissions, mappings, etc and so on. There are about 30 users overall, will thier be a signifigant dropoff in network speed by taking the user files off a RAID partition and placing them unto a IDE drive? You know how Windows Server 2003 can be.

Last edited:
Do this when no one will have access, of course.

1. Rename D drive to whatever and rename 300GB drive to new D drive.
2. Run ViseVersa to replicate directory (complete with permissions) to the new D drive.

Download ViseVersa here: http://www.tgrmn.com/index.htm?camp=goog_tplus
You can download a fully functional 30 day free demo.

Another option is to just replicate the files and folders and then point profiles to the new drive without changing the drive letter.

You might want to look into upgrading the RAID drives to larger capacities. By moving your data to the 300GB drive you lose the redundancy that was setup by the original configurer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom