Severe Weather 2023 (2 Viewers)

Wow, I didn't realize this. Sounds like a recipe for a preventable disaster resulting from a natural disaster. I've been following the FWD office for 20+ years and I don't get this position from them, either from their Watch/Warn products, or their area forecast discussions. If anything, they seem to tend more conservative and patient. It's obvious they monitor the socials because they will include graphics on their home page warning about possible misinformation and/or hype. Their message is usually to set a tone of "use caution" on the social media.

But in regards to tornados, maybe they don't have to "fake it" because tornados are more prevalent in this part of the world, especially the most destructive.
We have a system in which a person's job performance, promotional path and pay is impacted by these decisions. Then those same people are being asked to grade their test. Next, we have an increase in tornado warnings and tornadoes but only in areas in which tornadoes are typically not visible while the areas like the plains are seeing a significant decrease. Despite all the extra tornadoes in populated areas tornado injuries, fatalities, and financial costs have been decreasing. Many times, it is in places where I am sitting where these "tornadoes" occur and they come back after the fact and call a storm a tornado that wasn't even close to producing. Even when I've presented the video evidence after the fact it gets ignored.

I see it first hand. I'm not saying they are all like that. There are forecast offices that do much better than others. I'm not saying the forecasters have this intention to do harm because they do not. It's just a really poorly designed system that encourages this behavior. There is also bias for tornadoes to be rated higher on days where the risk is deemed higher. It may have always been this way but I've probably seen more tornado damage paths than anyone on the planet at this point and it is painfully obvious to me.

Again, it's not all. I have a lot of friends in NWS offices and they even recognize the inconsistencies. Some are even trying to slowly make changes but the red tape is absurd.

Ok, I'm done discussing it because I could suffer blow back just from discussing these on a public forum.

Some stuff moving across today - keep an eye on it if you’re in the zone .

Bump

No severe weather forecasted, but it's going to be another night of
dangerous fog here on the Ms. Coast. If you live in the coastal area of
Ms. Ala. or La. be careful if you're on the road tonight.

The snow situation in LA is wild.

Yea it’s crazy. I hope they all stay home and make snowmen. Those folks need to avoid the roads at all costs.

Looks like it might be an interesting evening here. The latest update from the SPC in Norman OK:

A Moderate Risk of Severe Thunderstorms is Forecast Today and/or Tonight

A derecho is forecast with widespread damaging winds and embedded swaths of significant severe gusts from 80-110 mph, centered on parts of Oklahoma this evening into tonight. Embedded tornadoes are anticipated as well, with the greatest potential for strong (EF2-EF3) tornadoes across southwest Oklahoma this evening.

Prepped the underground shelter in the garage with new batteries in fan, lights, TV, water, snacks etc. Hopefully won't have to get in there but better to be prepared. See what happens.

Multiple circulations and tornado warnings. Some of these storms were moving at 70-80 mph one with 114 mph winds within one of them.

Still about 15 minutes south of me.

And here goes the sirens.

Multiple circulations and tornado warnings. Some of these storms were moving at 70-80 mph one with 114 mph winds within one of them.

Seeing it now - hang on buddy

Stay safe man...

Let us know you’re good when you’re able

Let us know you’re good when you’re able
All good! Got pretty exciting for a few minutes. Had 6 circulations just South of me at one time. None very strong and not around for long.

The leading edge of this mess had 100+mph winds, was baring down on us and then just went away, Crazy!

All good! Got pretty exciting for a few minutes. Had 6 circulations just South of me at one time. None very strong and not around for long.

The leading edge of this mess had 100+mph winds, was baring down on us and then just went away, Crazy!
Yikes!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom