Severe Weather alert for Tuesday across most of central US (1 Viewer)

I wonder if with even putting out the warnings 2 counties ahead, people still didn't heed it since the storms were so far away. Many people may not have realized the storms were traveling 50+mph is some cases. That will come upon you quickly. It might look decent outside when the warning is issued, then 10 mins later it looks like the world is coming to an end.

From that middle pic, you can get an idea of the rotation. Post a pic of the baseball sized hail you have one.

I didn't do any core punching so I don't have any hail pics. The only hail we saw was on the ground when trying to catch up to the storm after crossing the river north of Greenville. It was about the size of ping pong balls and had been on the ground for about ten minutes before we got on it.

After dark the storms were moving even faster. The mobile threat net I use had several moving over 80mph including this one when it got towards central Ms. I was going 90 for 30 minutes and lost ground on the storm north of Cleveland, Ms. The storm that put a tornado down in Oxford, Ms went from Batesville, Ms to Nashville in just over 3 hours.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Baron's Mobile Threat Net but it is a program that uses XM radio to send radar, satellite, warnings, watches, shear and other products to a receiver that plugs into the USB port on a computer. The software has GPS mapping with the radar over the top so you can see your postion compared to the storm. It updates every 5 minutes. Last night coming home through the Delta some of the storms in front of the line would be ten miles to our West and before the next radar frame the storm would overtake us. These were some of the most intense thunderstorm winds I have been in. I'm sure there was some extensive wind damage last night that is not being talked about because they are overshadowed by the tornadoes.

I didn't do any core punching so I don't have any hail pics. The only hail we saw was on the ground when trying to catch up to the storm after crossing the river north of Greenville. It was about the size of ping pong balls and had been on the ground for about ten minutes before we got on it.

After dark the storms were moving even faster. The mobile threat net I use had several moving over 80mph including this one when it got towards central Ms. I was going 90 for 30 minutes and lost ground on the storm north of Cleveland, Ms. The storm that put a tornado down in Oxford, Ms went from Batesville, Ms to Nashville in just over 3 hours.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Baron's Mobile Threat Net but it is a program that uses XM radio to send radar, satellite, warnings, watches, shear and other products to a receiver that plugs into the USB port on a computer. The software has GPS mapping with the radar over the top so you can see your postion compared to the storm. It updates every 5 minutes. Last night coming home through the Delta some of the storms in front of the line would be ten miles to our West and before the next radar frame the storm would overtake us. These were some of the most intense thunderstorm winds I have been in. I'm sure there was some extensive wind damage last night that is not being talked about because they are overshadowed by the tornadoes.

BClemms:

Your personal performance in giving us "heads up" and describing what was happening, and where it was happening, along with general warning and information, merits you a real
big "attaboy".

Real good job. It is nice having you around.

Now....if you could just do something about that disturbing avatar..... :-( Yeow!!!

Joe

I haven't heard of this program. I've considered signing up to be a storm chaser, but I don't think my wife would go for it. Maybe when my kids get older. She has this fear that I would go the way of Carey Elwes in Twister. :hihi:

These were taken just outside of Lake Village, Ar yesterday afternoon. This cell didn't produce a tornado until it got up near Nashville. It did produce some baseball size hail and registered wind gust of 86mph

Is this the storm that went over Nashville about 9-9:30p.m? If so, it was impressive as heck on radar.

Is this the storm that went over Nashville about 9-9:30p.m? If so, it was impressive as heck on radar.

No, the storm you are talking about formed just to the East of the storm I was on and they traveled side by side for a few hundred miles. The one that came through Nashville came together nicely near Batesville, Ms. I wanted to get on the storm you are talking about but if I couldn't gain 10 miles on the storm I was on there was no way I could have gained 25 on that one. Nashville got extremely lucky with this cell because it had a long history of killer tornadoes and it looked like it was just cycling as it went over Nashville. It could have been much worse.

The storm I chased put a couple confirmed tonradoes down and a couple uncomfirmed. The two Uncomfirmed I was on the storm at the time and didn't see them. These were more than likely Sheriffnadoes (a law enforcement reported tornado when they see a wall cloud).

Here is the track of the storm I was on.
supercellarmstn.jpg

Green Line= Thunderstorm
Yellow Line= Severe Warned
Red Line= Tornado Warned
Purple Line= Confirmed Tornado Reported
Grey Spots= Uncomfirmed tornado
Black Line= Where I chased it
Blue Line= Where the photos were taken

Politicians using tragedy to advance an agenda has been a tried-and-true strategy. Paint the idea green and a natural catastrophe became political fodder for former Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry (Mass.).

Kerry appeared on MSNBC on February 6 to discuss storms that have killed at least 50 people throughout the Southeastern United States. So, of course, Kerry used the platform to advance global warming alarmism

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080206170159.aspx

Where the hell was he when it snowed a month ago in Southern Ms? Rediculous and politicians need to be demolished when they get on TV and say stuff this stupid.

Tornadoes are not rare in February, especially in the south central US. They don't happen often but it is far from rare. A couiple of the biggest outbreaks have happened in February including Arkansas biggest outbreak. They aren't as common as the peak of the season in May on the plains but considering more tornadoes happen there than any place on earth it makes a tough comparison. Last February I chased a deadly supercell in the same exact place as yesterday. That storm produced a EF-3 tornado. I would compare it to a November hurricane. Rare? Not hardly. Peak of the season? Nope.

Deadly US winter tornadoes not rare -NOAA

WASHINGTON, Feb 6 (Reuters) - Winter tornadoes that ripped across parts of the American South this week were unusually lethal but not particularly rare, a U.S. government meteorologist said on Wednesday as the death toll mounted.

Tornado season in the United States generally starts in March and continues through the summer months but winter tornadoes have become an almost annual occurrence, according to Harold Brooks of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

"While this is not a normal event, it's not an incredibly rare event," Brooks, based at the agency's National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman, Oklahoma, said by telephone.

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN06302458

Last edited:
So I guessed you went though Cleveland. When I lived there we had some of the nastiest tornado weather i have ever been through. Makes the weather in Andrew look like a light rain. Main problem in Cleveland was by the time they hit the sirens it was passed.

/ I wasnt in LA for Katrina, so Andrew in lafayette was my "worse ever".

So I guessed you went though Cleveland. When I lived there we had some of the nastiest tornado weather i have ever been through. Makes the weather in Andrew look like a light rain. Main problem in Cleveland was by the time they hit the sirens it was passed.

/ I wasnt in LA for Katrina, so Andrew in lafayette was my "worse ever".

My brother lives in Cleveland and I called to warn him just after taking these pics. He had about 1 hour lead time. NWS issued the tornado warning a few minutes after giving everyone n Cleveland 30+ minute lead. The storm actually passed just to the north of Cleveland.

I have been in the eye of several hurricanes and a couple major ones. There is no comparison between even the strongest hurricane and a strong tornado. The tornado is so much more violent it isn't even funny. Luckily tornadoes are so much smaller the impact is much less than a hurricane. Also lucky that tornadoes don't come with a storm surge.

Last edited:
I lived south of town but the tornados always seemed to follow a path right north of town. I had a friend who lived out there in in the 3 years there he had a tornado touch down within a mile of his house twice. Seems like they liked that particular area.

Place was the middle of no where with absolutely nothing to do.....glad to get in and get out. Got there in the July before 9/11 and got out in Oct 2006.

I lived south of town but the tornados always seemed to follow a path right north of town. I had a friend who lived out there in in the 3 years there he had a tornado touch down within a mile of his house twice. Seems like they liked that particular area.

Place was the middle of no where with absolutely nothing to do.....glad to get in and get out. Got there in the July before 9/11 and got out in Oct 2006.

There are certainly areas that are more prone to tornadoes. I know in Ms there are several including the area you just mentioned.
mstornadoes.jpg

Madison, Ms has been hit hard a couple times in the last decade.

Brandon, Ms three tornadoes since 1994.

Seems like every tornado outbreak there is one with a ten mile radius of Brookhaven.

A path I hear far too often is from Lake Providence, La through Redwood, Ms towards Yazoo City and then on to Kosiusko. This may be the most productive path in the state but since the area is so rural there are a lot of warnings but very few reports. Just last month a couple F-3 tornadoes did a lot of damage on this path.

Then the path similar to yesterday's cell and the one last year on 2/24 and one the spring before that when there was another major outbreak from the Ms delta into Tn.

The one in North Ms has been real active the last few years including the damaging tornado yesterday in South Haven.

On a national level there are some spots that have a long historic history of being very active. Concordia, Ks right next to the Nebraska line has produced a mind boggling amount of tornadoes. Just south of Wichita, Ks has produced a ton. OKC metro area averages a tornado report every year.

Then you have certain counties in West, Tx that get hit several times a year. One is around Childress, Tx and another is around Plainview, Tx.

Despite Warnings, Tornadoes Kill 54
By RYAN LENZ – 1 hour ago

LAFAYETTE, Tenn. (AP) — One man pulled a couch over his head. Bank employees rushed into the vault. A woman trembled in her bathroom, clinging to her dogs. College students huddled in dormitories. Tornado warnings had been broadcast for hours, and when the sirens finally announced that the twisters had arrived, many people across the South took shelter and saved their lives.

But others simply had nowhere safe to go, or the storms proved too powerful, too numerous, too unpredictable.

At least 54 people were killed and hundreds injured Tuesday and Wednesday by dozens of tornadoes that plowed across Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky and Alabama. It was the nation's deadliest barrage of twisters in almost 23 years.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jW-BndswWuhgPAPXOK4Q6TCQsANQD8UL4A900

Clinton, Ar tornado
<object id='VideoPlayback' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' height='280' width='320'><param value='http://cfc.katv.com/mediaplayer.swf' name='movie' /><param value='always' name='allowScriptAcess' /><param value='transparent' name='wmode' /><param value='best' name='quality' /><param value='#000000' name='bgcolor' /><param value='noScale' name='scale' /><param value='TL' name='salign' /><param value='file=http://cfc.katv.com/xmls/katv_8461.xml' name='FlashVars' /></object>

Damage from Clinton, Ar
<object id='VideoPlayback' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' height='280' width='320'><param value='http://cfc.katv.com/mediaplayer.swf' name='movie' /><param value='always' name='allowScriptAcess' /><param value='transparent' name='wmode' /><param value='best' name='quality' /><param value='#000000' name='bgcolor' /><param value='noScale' name='scale' /><param value='TL' name='salign' /><param value='file=http://cfc.katv.com/xmls/katv_8452.xml' name='FlashVars' /></object>

The tornado tracked 120 miles killing 13. The NWS is now saying it was likely one tornado that stayed on the ground the entire track. It has been classified as an F-4 in spots but could still be upgraded because they are still doing damage surveys. This site has a great radar velocity gif, a map and some information on the set up.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lzk/html/svr0208.htm

Atkins Tornado
<object id='VideoPlayback' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' height='280' width='320'><param value='http://cfc.katv.com/mediaplayer.swf' name='movie' /><param value='always' name='allowScriptAcess' /><param value='transparent' name='wmode' /><param value='best' name='quality' /><param value='#000000' name='bgcolor' /><param value='noScale' name='scale' /><param value='TL' name='salign' /><param value='file=http://cfc.katv.com/xmls/katv_8458.xml' name='FlashVars' /></object>

Last edited:
I saw a report out of Lafayette, TN this morning.
The destruction caused by the tornados is terribile.
I don't know how some of them made it out of there alive by looking at what remained.
I feel for what they must face now, after losing everything.

Last edited:
Death toll up to 57 and it is being reported 200 more are still missing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom