Severe Weather outbreak today and tomorrow (1 Viewer)

Just be sure to get a programmable radio that way you aren't listening to flood warnings and severe thunderstorm warnings for counties 100 miles away at 3am.

I think most of the one's for sale nowadays have the SAME technology. Mine only alerts me for Tornado Watch/Warnings and Severe T-Storm Watch/Warnings.

I think most of the one's for sale nowadays have the SAME technology. Mine only alerts me for Tornado Watch/Warnings and Severe T-Storm Watch/Warnings.

I can program mine to go off for avalanche warnings, lake effect snow warnings, wind avisories or any other warning/watch/advisory that NWS issues. The best part is I can program it to just issue tornado warnings for my specific county so it doesn't wake me up all hours of the night. It wouldn't be as big a deal if I didn't live in the JAN NWS area. They have the highest rate of false alarms in the country. Sometimes I think they just like to blow the horn when they see orange or red on the radar.

I can program mine to go off for avalanche warnings, lake effect snow warnings, wind avisories or any other warning/watch/advisory that NWS issues. The best part is I can program it to just issue tornado warnings for my specific county so it doesn't wake me up all hours of the night. It wouldn't be as big a deal if I didn't live in the JAN NWS area. They have the highest rate of false alarms in the country. Sometimes I think they just like to blow the horn when they see orange or red on the radar.

Actualy, that's exactly what they are doing. The last three storms that rolled through here caused them to issue tornado warnings just because they saw red/green next to each other on the radar using the wind velocity function on the Doppler. People are starting to ignore the warnings and that will turn out badly some day.
You would think someone would be monitoring their performance.

Actualy, that's exactly what they are doing. The last three storms that rolled through here caused them to issue tornado warnings just because they saw red/green next to each other on the radar using the wind velocity function on the Doppler. People are starting to ignore the warnings and that will turn out badly some day.
You would think someone would be monitoring their performance.

Their performance is monitored and it is known that Jan has the highest false alarm rate but it is somewhat justified because so many tornadoes happen at night and in no visibility areas that they try to extra fast on developing storms. I love the velocity feature and it is certainly effective at showing rotation but they will issue a 45 minute warning when a storm has one frame that just shows small amounts of rotation. I firmly believe that the Jackson weather office also classifies many wind damage events as tornadoes to justify their warnings and help the numbers out.

I spoke with Ken Johnson this morning and he said the line of thunderstorms in Ar/La/Tx would break apart and discrete supercells would form. I thought he was crazy but that seems to be what is happening. Also the cloud deck that has been limiting daytime heating has started to break and we could be looking at a tornado threat this evening from Vicksburg north into Kentucky with the main focus between Greenville, Ms and Memphis. Looks like I will get to chase today afterall.

4" was the Official Smokin Joe's Rain guage from the yard.

Joe

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom