Severe weather threat for SE LA Thursday???? (1 Viewer)

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
several co-workers are saying we are looking at some severe weather tomorrow. TORCON 6 level and level 3 ( possibly 4 - out of 5 ) for severe weather. I know i heard we will get a front, but nothing to this level....

anyone else hearing this? or is it like last week where it was more Central LA/MS?

Yeah I've been hearing lots of chatter about it at work today.
Then just saw this on weather.com
This could get bad real quick or just blow over and nothing. Hopefully the latter....

https://weather.com/storms/severe/news/2019-04-12-severe-threat-tornado-wind-hail-mid-april

Thursday
Thunderstorms will be ongoing early Thursday and will continue into Thursday night.

Severe thunderstorms are most probable Thursday in the Deep South, including much of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and parts of the Florida Panhandle. At least a few severe storms are possible farther north into parts of the Ohio Valley.

This activity may be in the form of a long line of thunderstorms with damaging winds and perhaps some tornadoes.

Parts of Louisiana, Mississippi and western and southern Alabama appear to have the greatest chance for tornadoes Thursday, both embedded in the squall line and if any supercells develop ahead of the main line of thunderstorms.

This activity is expected to sweep eastward Thursday night into the Ohio Valley, southern Appalachians and Tennessee Valley.

Locally heavy rain may trigger flash flooding in some areas.

I heard it's going to be worse than what we had Saturday night. Speaking of last week's weather, I like this guy's weather report from last Thursday about the inclement weather coming last Saturday:

[MOD EDIT] Funny as hell, but definitely NSFW. Just a heads-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
A weak tornado did touch down in River Ridge last week. This place has turned into Kansas.

I heard it's going to be worse than what we had Saturday night. Speaking of last week's weather, I like this guy's weather report from last Thursday about the inclement weather coming last Saturday:

100% chance of honeydo's. Lol. That's always the case. Perfect conditions during the week, mediocre to bad when you can actually go fishing.

Models have been all over the place for this round of severe. More than likely itll be the mix bag of weather, few brief tornadoes inside a squall. The combination of instability and shear are high and if any storm can develop out in front of the line and stay isolated it has the chance to produce a strong tornado. I wouldnt worry but at the same time have a plan and listen to the warnings. The short range models show a fairly insignificant event but theyve been all but worthless lately.

I work with people based in Dallas and Houston. When I asked them about this weather incident they all said it was severely overhyped. Not saying we shouldn't be cautious, but it may be a lot of worry for little action.

I work with people based in Dallas and Houston. When I asked them about this weather incident they all said it was severely overhyped. Not saying we shouldn't be cautious, but it may be a lot of worry for little action.

When I read and saw all the hype, I knew it would never live up to it. This has happened numerous times, but usually it's with wintry precip. My son's college cancelled classes after 1pm yesterday, Southwest halted operations after 6pm, people were leaving work early to get home and after school activities were cancelled. The initial initiation of storms never happened and that what was supposed to produce "giant" hail. The cap didn't erode as quickly as thought.

From what I saw on WWL yesterday, what makes it worse for us compared to West of us in Tejas is that Texas had more drier air. There's a lot of moisture coming up over Louisiana from the Gulf that's supposed to be the catalyst to set things off as the front gets closer.

When I read and saw all the hype, I knew it would never live up to it. This has happened numerous times, but usually it's with wintry precip. My son's college cancelled classes after 1pm yesterday, Southwest halted operations after 6pm, people were leaving work early to get home and after school activities were cancelled. The initial initiation of storms never happened and that what was supposed to produce "giant" hail. The cap didn't erode as quickly as thought.
LSU Campus in Baton Rouge is closed today as well for the weather. That said, it is also a great excuse to take off a day early for the long Easter weekend.

Harrison county and city schools are closing at 1 pm today. I really hate this time of year weather wise. Warm moist air
in front of a cold front can be a recipe for disaster. We rarely get anything over a F2 here on the coast,but F4's have
occurred.

Will this stuff be through Baton Rouge before the start of the baseball game at 6pm tonight?

Will this stuff be through Baton Rouge before the start of the baseball game at 6pm?

Probably not. Lafayette forecasts were to expect thunderstorms from 10 AM to 6 PM. It will probably still be over BR at that time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom