sex abuse scandal at Jesuit NO (1 Viewer)

my guess is that it's a system that perpetuates the 'enemy'
1st you have an anti-homosexual position that becomes attractive to self-hating homosexuals who want to 'cure' themselves
and then "whoops' i'm surrounded by men for the rest of my life- and we all know abut the "gay for the stay" issue in prison priesthood wouldn't be much different
BUT
we also know that the real issue is pedophilia, so i see 3 possible (perhaps interconnected) aspects
1. priesthood just attracts pedophiles b/c easy access to the most vulnerable & until recently a complete safety net
2. abusers become abusers b/c they were abused
3. they 'become' pedophiles b/c there are many, many kids around and there aren't many other options (i have no idea is this is even possible 'biologically' but i'm just speculating)

1) is probably the best explanation. But I think it was rarely the case, that there was a conscious decision by pedophile men to join the priesthood so they could have easy access to children in order to rape them. Instead, I suspect that they somehow thought since they were deviants, that the priesthood was somehow their vocation and that it would help them deal with their disease in some fashion. The same process which probably led many ordinary homosexual men to join. (Not that I don't think homosexuals are deviants or diseases, but back in the day, alot of people thought they were)

3) Also lots of women around. A straight male priest doesn't just become a pedophile because he's around kids alot. Would the same thing happen with a man who coaches little league, or is a Cub Scout leader? Plenty of priests left the priesthood to marry. Ironically, in hindsight, those were mostly the good ones

Last edited:
I don’t want to take away from the discussion here but did y’all see Spotlight? They really did a great job of portraying the scope of the problem.

I’m not trying to make this a blanket statement but there seems to be some sentiment of “it’s not as bad because of all the good we have done”

When it comes to pedophelia, The church’s decision to protect these acts provides the perfect place for either latent or overt pedophiles.
I would assume that at the time most enter the seminary, the act of pedophelia had not manifested itself but was maybe latent. Some could even be drawn innocently to the priesthood by a sincere desire to help kids which eventually led to a sexual tendency that had been latent When they entered. Unfortunately, that’s a best case scenario.

When it comes to pedophelia, The church’s decision to protect these acts provides the perfect place for either latent or overt pedophiles.
I would assume that at the time most enter the seminary, the act of pedophelia had not manifested itself but was maybe latent. Some could even be drawn innocently to the priesthood by a sincere desire to help kids which eventually led to a sexual tendency that had been latent When they entered. Unfortunately, that’s a best case scenario.
makes sense
i could see that or some variation of that

i knew several seminarians who went to seminary right out of school seemingly as a way to avoid the 'real world'

The list came out today of all the Jesuit priests accused nationwide. 17 of them spent time in New Orleans. Quite a few with multiple allegations.

Click here for details of each accusation...

Here is the list:

• Michael O. Barry, SJ
  • Charles Bartles, SJ
  • Jody Blanchard, SJ
  • Claude P. Boudreaux, SJ
  • John Campbell, SJ
  • Cornelius J. Carr, SJ (New York Province which is now part of USA Northeast Province)
  • Mark A. Clark, SJ
  • Francis X. Cleary SJ
  • James A. Condon, SJ (Chicago Province which is now part of USA Midwest Province)
  • Charles G. Coyle, SJ
  • Edward D. DeRussy, SJ
  • Donald Dickerson, SJ
  • Burton J. Fraser, SJ (Wisconsin Province which is now part of USA Midwest Province)
  • Chester E. Gaiter, SJ
  • Thomas J. Hatrel, SJ
  • Thomas J. Hidding, SJ
  • John W. Hough, SJ
  • Francis J. Kegel, SJ
  • Dennis P. Kirchoff, SJ
  • Bernard P. Knoth, SJ (Chicago Province which is now part of USA Midwest Province)
  • Philip D. Kraus, SJ
  • Francis M. Landwermeyer, SJ
  • Gerhardt B. Lehmkuhl, SJ
  • Alfonso Madrid, SJ (Province of Mexico)
  • Eugene A. Maio, SJ
  • Vincent R. Malatesta, SJ
  • James L. McShane, SJ
  • Edward P. Murphy, SJ
  • Thomas J. Naughton, SJ (Priest of the New Orleans Province, NOT Brother Thomas Naughton of the Missouri Province)
  • Patrick H. O’Liddy, SJ
  • Vincent A. Orlando, SJ
  • Claude L. Ory, SJ (Brother, formerly in New Orleans Province, now Maryland Province)
  • Austin N. Park SJ
  • J. Donald Pearce, SJ
  • George M. Pieper, SJ
  • Paul C. Pilgram, SJ
  • Elmo J. Rogero, SJ
  • Norman J. Rogge, SJ
  • Anthony J. Short, SJ
  • Arthur O. Verdieck, SJ
  • Richard H. Witzofsky, SJ (Brother)
  • Benjamin Wren, SJ

https://wwl.radio.com/articles/jesuits-release-list-credible-accusation-sexual-abuse?utm_source=second-street&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Jesuits+release+list+of+'credible+accusation+of+sexual+abuse'

Last edited:
The list came out today of all the Jesuit priests accused nationwide. 17 of them spent time in New Orleans. Quite a few with multiple allegations.

https://wwl.radio.com/articles/jesuits-release-list-credible-accusation-sexual-abuse?utm_source=second-street&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Jesuits+release+list+of+'credible+accusation+of+sexual+abuse'

I would be willing to bet money that the actual list is quite a bit longer. I would also bet that north of 75% of these sexual abuse cases involve the abuse of males and many of those being mature males.

I would be willing to bet money that the actual list is quite a bit longer. I would also bet that north of 75% of these sexual abuse cases involve the abuse of males and many of those being mature males.
Can't say I disagree.

Most religions are terrible organizations IMO, but especially Catholicism.. i dont mean the people who *follow* the religions, i mean the clergy, staff, higher-ups and the entire systems in general.. i’m not religious at all any more, but i was raised Catholic and went through the whole deal, Communion, Confession, the works- i was even an altar boy.. i was ‘spared’, for lack of a better word- or more accurately, i was never a victim of abuse.. but years later, in my 20s, I found out that a teacher i had who was very prominent at my little Catholic school outside of NOLA (he was also our football, baseball and basketball coach) had been abusing kids for decades..some of whom were my friends growing up.. he’s rotting in Angola now, but around the time that all of this hit the news, i just so happened to be at a wedding in NOLA where a priest from my old school was presiding; I brought up the case, and this priest actually had the nerve to *defend* the guy, and tell me that the whole thing was overblown by the media.. needless to say, that encounter helped to inform my current views on the Catholic Church .. well, that and the fact that I refuse to support any organization that has paid out over a half a Billion dollars in child abuse settlements, and continues to shift priests around..... I understand why people still find comfort in their religion, and how it helps them through tough times, i really do — but Jeez Louise, i cant for the life of me understand why these same people cant find another way to comfort themselves without enabling pedophiles... at the very least, i think you need to let women become priests, and let priests get married- otherwise you are just begging for deviants and repressed individuals to join your organization.

Most religions are terrible organizations IMO, but especially Catholicism.. i dont mean the people who *follow* the religions, i mean the clergy, staff, higher-ups and the entire systems in general.. i’m not religious at all any more, but i was raised Catholic and went through the whole deal, Communion, Confession, the works- i was even an altar boy.. i was ‘spared’, for lack of a better word- or more accurately, i was never a victim of abuse.. but years later, in my 20s, I found out that a teacher i had who was very prominent at my little Catholic school outside of NOLA (he was also our football, baseball and basketball coach) had been abusing kids for decades..some of whom were my friends growing up.. he’s rotting in Angola now, but around the time that all of this hit the news, i just so happened to be at a wedding in NOLA where a priest from my old school was presiding; I brought up the case, and this priest actually had the nerve to *defend* the guy, and tell me that the whole thing was overblown by the media.. needless to say, that encounter helped to inform my current views on the Catholic Church .. well, that and the fact that I refuse to support any organization that has paid out over a half a Billion dollars in child abuse settlements, and continues to shift priests around..... I understand why people still find comfort in their religion, and how it helps them through tough times, i really do — but Jeez Louise, i cant for the life of me understand why these same people cant find another way to comfort themselves without enabling pedophiles... at the very least, i think you need to let women become priests, and let priests get married- otherwise you are just begging for deviants and repressed individuals to join your organization.

That is almost exactly how my wife feels she was brought up Catholic but has distanced herself as an adult big time.

Last edited:
I’m a catholic. My father was abused at hope haven back in the 50’s (I don’t know specific dates as he is died the night before our super bowl victory)

I despise what was done to these young boys and men. Disgusting. However to cast that out onto the entire clergy/church just isn’t fair. The percentages of abuse in the church is right at it even less than the public school system. (Under 2%) I am not justifying it by any means. .00001 % is unacceptable. It Just seems like the public chooses which institution to target. And of course they will never target their own in acedemia like they are the church.

I understand why people are leaving the Catholic Church, but the only way to fight this battle is through the laity. Until the lay people of the church push back hard, nothing will change. The bishops and cardinals and the Vatican might put out "lists" of abusers, but look at the dates on these things. Most of these guys are dead or have one foot in the grave. They are offered up as a means for the ranking clergy to be able to say, "Oh look! We want to get rid of the abuse. We want to stop it." In reality, they don't really want to because it has been set up for years. They continue to allow homosexual men into the priesthood in large numbers and when these men abuse adolescents and young men, it is kept quiet. Keep up with the news. You've got plenty of powerful cardinals encouraging this stuff. Look at the millions of dollars spent on abuse cases. Most people, even Catholics, may not realize what exactly is going on. They see the "big news" of what happened in Pennsylvania and things of that nature, but they don't dig deeper. The Vatican approved Catholic media presents it as a pedophilia problem. They don't want to admit the real issue.

I saw a list not long ago of Priests who abused children in New Orleans. I saw a name of the priest that was in charge of my first communion at Our Lady of Lourdes church on Napoleon. It was at the time when he was abusing children. I remember having one on one meetings in his office. Thank God he left me alone.

I saw a list not long ago of Priests who abused children in New Orleans. I saw a name of the priest that was in charge of my first communion at Our Lady of Lourdes church on Napoleon. It was at the time when he was abusing children. I remember having one on one meetings in his office. Thank God he left me alone.
See that’s the thing
I’m very glad we’ve discredited most of the “repressed memories “ junk that was en vogue in the 90s bc I would have been questioning ‘not remembering ‘ like crazy

homosexuals don't abuse adolescents, pedophiles do
there is no reason to confuse the two

GM, I'm not confusing the two. While a certain portion of these cases do involve the abuse of prepubescent children and would be considered pedophilia, a large number of them involve the abuse of male adolescents and young adults. Since the abusers are male, this is a homosexual issue. According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, "Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that 'homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.'" and "Under no circumstances can they be approved." For many years, the ranking clergy have turned a blind eye and covered up the problems because of the homosexual network that has been built up in the Catholic Church.

Here's an article on what the Pope recently said on the topic:

https://www.ncronline.org/news/vati...-cant-be-celibate-they-should-leave-pope-says

He should be more commanding in his statement, though. Rather than say, "They should leave" it should be, "They will be made to leave." For too long, they've just moved these abusers around, keeping things quiet, and spending tons of money to do so. It's catching up with them and driving many of the faithful away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom