SF names Kapernick starting QB (1 Viewer)

The level of butt hurt here for a pedestrian quarterback on the edge of sinking into obscurity is ridiculous. Hasn't the protest thing been played out enough? I don't agree with the way and reasoning he's protesting, and I've always found him to be annoying; but the hatred is and always has been disproportional to the act. Where was all this when rothlisberger went through being a sexual assault artist?

Just give it a rest. Let him fade away and save your anger for something worth the energy, smh....

Wait...are we no longer calling him Rapelisberger? Sorry, I don't hang out in the SSF much anymore.

Tony Gonzalez is one example of a mostly veggie shaped diet that extended his playing career.

I dont think it takes much thought to understand CKs feelings if you just set aside your bitterness. You merely have to look back to June to see what recently passed athlete may have stirred something inside him.

But nothing ticks me off more than this forced patriotism. If this countries attitude is to bend him over like a pre-schooler and make him swear his allegiance to a flag or a song then there is something seriously wrong with this country.

The disgrace to the men like my brother who have served in wars with snipers trying to take them out is the people who want to steal the freedom from its citizens and force them to bow to a flag, a crown, or a song. The very freedom that was fought for with the richest price of blood requires no allegiance to an anthem.

If YOU want to be a patriot then YOU stand up in the bar at attention when the song comes. YOU get your tukus off the couch and stand in your HOME when the song is on TV. YOU FIRST!

I haven't heard anyone attempting to force anyone else to be patriotic. All I've seen/heard is people voicing their opinion sort of like Kap is voicing his opinion. Everyone gets the same opportunity to voice their opinion, regardless of what that opinion is.
JMO
mb

He's gone vegan and is much smaller hen he was before. People inside the 49ers staff are saying he doesn't have near the strength he had a couple of years ago. What made him so good was his speed and strength combined with a solid build. I think Kaepernick has set himself up to fail. The injuries he had are one thing but to me going vegan just isn't going to give him the extra edge you need in the NFL to get back on top. He couldn't be in a better offense to suit his skill set but IMO he's only hurting himself.

His new girl friend may have a lot to do with where he is mentally and physically today. Some influences in a young person's life can be quite damaging and destructive, Kaepernick probably wont realize this until it's far too late for him.

We just need more communication and empathy. Many Americans are too quick to dismiss another man's perspective or to ignore what it's like to walk in another man's shoes. Many Americans love to look forward without considering how the past impacts us today. How can we possibly disconnect yesterday from today? I think CK has aligned himself with the specific struggles of Black Americans and there's nothing wrong with that. The truth is, there are indeed deep, disproportionate struggles for that community. When there's more men in that community who are incarcerated today than were enslaved in 1850, I can understand why he might have a problem with paying tribute to this country. In 1970, at most 350,000 Americans incarcerated, in 2014, 2.4 million. That's not a change in behavior, that's a change in policy. A financially profitable policy for some, a new Jim Crow policy for others. Check out "13th" on Netflix and you might understand CK's perspective...perhaps not agree but it's okay not to agree. Peace...

And behind the levee we go...

Well said...well said. I see no problem with his protest and this is coming from someone who enlisted in the Marine Corps and did a tour in the beautiful sands of Iraq. I cannot dismiss CK's thought process as I have never walked in a black man's shoes.

I just wanna watch him to see if he can still play. It wasnt that long ago that he, Cam netwon and Russel Wilson were the "new faces of the NFL".

I mean, if DEREK ANDERSON can start a game at QB in 2016, I think Kaepernik can too. I was a fan of his play style, and the rivalry between the 49ers and Seahawks. Watching those 2 fantastic Defenses work against those QBs was some of the best football we've gotten to watch in this new Pass Happy era of football where you can't even sneeze on a WR without drawing a P.I. flag.

Same with Ravens/Steelers. Big Ben sounds like a piece of garbage, but when the Steelers and Ravens were both at their peak, that was a damn good rivalry to watch twice a year, even as a fan of another team

I haven't heard anyone attempting to force anyone else to be patriotic. All I've seen/heard is people voicing their opinion sort of like Kap is voicing his opinion. Everyone gets the same opportunity to voice their opinion, regardless of what that opinion is.
JMO
mb

I think that's true but that's not entirely accurate about what people's response has been. Yes, many have voiced disagreement and that's entirely fair, of course. But many others have called for his team or the league to do something about it. Or called for law enforcement the work the games to refuse to do so. Others have threatened him with violence.

Those things aren't about voicing disagreement with his protest. They're about trying use leverage of some kind or another to get him to stop doing it. I think at that point, you're talking about two entirely different things.

Did I dream it when I heard that he chose to kneel instead of sit as a show of respect to the military because his beef is with police treatment of minorities in this country and not anything related to the military?

Did I dream it when I heard that he chose to kneel instead of sit as a show of respect to the military because his beef is with police treatment of minorities in this country and not anything related to the military?

if he would have come up with that then yes. his teammate came up with that plan to appease the military. and at first it wasn't because of police mistreatment but racial inequality. his stance on everything else came afterwards.

Sorry, but this just seems silly. It's just not that serious.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're not a veteran.

Yes. It is that serious. This piece of trash is a "role model" because too many men won't be. This dung pile is a public figure because he has a marketable skill so many owners will overlook his character flaws (yes, flaws. Knowing which forum in which not to express your opinions should be a basic condition of human decency) and continue to pay him in hopes that they'll continue to make money because he's there.

He's not "disrespecting" people that have given their live in service. I'll leave the rest to EE. And fake rage won't stop you from watching. You'll be watching like everyone else.

No. I won't.

He grew up in a privileged white household, in a nation which enables him to get paid way too damned much money for a skill set he was lucky enough to acquire specifically because of where he lives. His actions, in my eyes are tantamount to those low lifes who stand on the flag that so many have given their lives for.

What so many don't seem to grasp is that that flag and that anthem are representations of the ideals that good men and women have given so much for. To desecrate the flag, or to disrespect the anthem is to dishonor the memory of the fallen.

I won't watch any game that he's in.

Let's review the 1st Amendment. "The government shall pass no law...restricting freedom of speech". That does not mean I cannot disagree with CK's juvenile display of "look at me, I'm an activist" CK should use what talent he has left to work toward a solution of the problem he perceives, not just call attention to it. Maybe a good post-football career would be in law or law enforcement.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're not a veteran.

Yes. It is that serious. This piece of trash is a "role model" because too many men won't be. This dung pile is a public figure because he has a marketable skill so many owners will overlook his character flaws (yes, flaws. Knowing which forum in which not to express your opinions should be a basic condition of human decency) and continue to pay him in hopes that they'll continue to make money because he's there.

No. I won't.

He grew up in a privileged white household, in a nation which enables him to get paid way too damned much money for a skill set he was lucky enough to acquire specifically because of where he lives. His actions, in my eyes are tantamount to those low lifes who stand on the flag that so many have given their lives for.

What so many don't seem to grasp is that that flag and that anthem are representations of the ideals that good men and women have given so much for. To desecrate the flag, or to disrespect the anthem is to dishonor the memory of the fallen.

I won't watch any game that he's in.

I can certainly appreciate your stance on this issue, but as someone that served 21 years in the United States Navy and lost many brothers and sisters on the battlefield, I see this issue differently. The act of kneeling during the national anthem that Colin Kapernick did has started a dialogue about racial relations in this country. There was already some talk, but that's all it was "talk" and no meaningful action. The true impact of his actions will not be known for quite a while now, but it has forced many to confront some issues that will ultimately effect all of Americans. The deep divide in this country along racial lines can be seen in the aftermath of Kapernick's display. The question must be asked, " Why is it that many minorities applaud Kapernick for his actions and many in the majority not only oppose him, but also ridicule, threaten, and completely disregard his reasoning for his beliefs and his actions. There are many in the military and law enforcement that completely agree with Kapernick's stance and have more respect for him now, than they did previously. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it confuses me how so many people can condemn his actions, because of their professed great love for this country, but can't be empathetic or even appreciate his right or his method of protesting social injustices.

I think that's true but that's not entirely accurate about what people's response has been. Yes, many have voiced disagreement and that's entirely fair, of course. But many others have called for his team or the league to do something about it. Or called for law enforcement the work the games to refuse to do so. Others have threatened him with violence.

Those things aren't about voicing disagreement with his protest. They're about trying use leverage of some kind or another to get him to stop doing it. I think at that point, you're talking about two entirely different things.

I think there will always be extremist on every issue, but for the most part I don't see big discontent with his opinions.
Everybody gets an opportunity to express. That's what counts.
mb

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom