SF TE Eric Johnson hurt in practice today (1 Viewer)

Well, Devery was all potential too, and it took one game for him to break out.

Just because Davis hasn't had a huge impact yet doesn't mean he may not be due for one. Hopefully, it's not against us, but we can't throw him to the curb just because he hasn't played up to his par yet.

never said he would be Tony Gonzalez. And my logic is just that, logic. If your splitting time then all of a sudden your getting the majority of the time you will more than likely get more opportunities to contribute. Now with that SIMPLE logic Vernon Davis will have a decent game. Meaning a few catches and some decent yardage. Like I said I am not saying he was to have 8 catches for 65 and 2 td's.

But he still has the potential to breakout at any point in time. And what better time then when you pick up full #1 duties. You dont' have to buy into the logic. It is what it is.

Reggie has the "potential" to break out at any time, but after 11 games, it still hasn't happened. Does that mean he's been a bust or won't be a dominant player in the NFL? Of course not.

The same holds true of Vernon. Granted, he's only played in 5 games this year (starting three), but he's also only had 1 decent game in those 5.

SF's publicly acknowledged game plan this week was to use him and Eric in multiple tight end sets. That makes sense when you have a back like Gore. Granted, he will probably get more looks now that Eric is out. However, until he consistently shows that he can contribute more, he's just another "unproven" rookie with a lot of potential... And as we know, in the NFL, "potential" is an overrated word.

V. Davis

Besides a good guitar player, he is a very talented tight end who just can't stay in the field.

BTW, besides playing the running game it will be mandatory to have a spy all the game on Vernon Davis. The guy is as good as advertised.

I picked up TE Vernon Davis in my fantasy league. Would you guys start Heath Miller against Tampa Bay's D, or Vernon Davis against the Saints D?? I can't decide.

Well, Devery was all potential too, and it took one game for him to break out.

Just because Davis hasn't had a huge impact yet doesn't mean he may not be due for one. Hopefully, it's not against us, but we can't throw him to the curb just because he hasn't played up to his par yet.

I'm not throwing him to the curb at all. I'm simply looking at what he's done, thus far. Of course, he's a threat, and I'm sure the Saints will treat him as such. But I can also tell you that as a coach, I would be much happier just having to face Vernon, rather than having to face both Eric and Vernon in multiple tight end sets this Sunday.

Regarding Devery, I'm thrilled to see him doing so well for us, but let's put your last statement about Devery's breakout game into perspective.

It came in his third season. I don't expect the same thing to happen with Vernon (3 years b/4 a breakout game), but neither do I expect it to be this Sunday...

Starting 49ers tight end Eric Johnson is likely out for the rest of the season with a medial collateral ligament sprain in his left knee.
-- San Francisco Chronicle

This sure hurts his free agent stock, if his past injuries hadn't hurt it enough already. With a solid, healthy, season he could have been looking at a pretty decent payday. Now with one more season ending injury on top of his already impressive medical records, he will have a tough time come this offseason. 6 NFL seasons and he has only completed 2 of them.

Its really a shame, because he is a very talented player, he just can't dodge the injury bug. I remember a couple years back (2004?) he was leading the league in receptions for a good while. Guess I will focus my offseason hopes to Daniel Graham. And to think, in 2003 we passed on players like Dallas Clark and Jason Witten.

That's a bad thing we will see more of Vernon Davis- who I think will be the best TE in the league in about three years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom