SF TE Eric Johnson hurt in practice today (1 Viewer)

Besides a good guitar player, he is a very talented tight end who just can't stay in the field.

BTW, besides playing the running game it will be mandatory to have a spy all the game on Vernon Davis. The guy is as good as advertised.

Not to cheer an injury, but EJ was a valuable part of their offense when on the field. He made a few key catches against StL last week.

I watched that replay game last night- man, Frank Gore is a beast.

How will this affect the niner's running game? Was he a respected blocking tight end?

Vernon Davis didnt get on the field because Eric Johnson took his spot after his ankle injury.. He's fine now..

Vernon Davis not a big concern??

if he's healthy - he's a concern. i know the term is an overused cliche.... but he really is a "beast"

Vernon Davis not a big concern??

if he's healthy - he's a concern. i know the term is an overused cliche.... but he really is a "beast"

He might be a "beast" on paper, and he might be a "beast" if you're still looking at his pre-draft work-outs footage, but he hasn't been a beast at all this year in SF's offense.

In SF's first 11 games, he's only played in 5, and started in 3. Of course, he's also been injured a part of that time, but when he's played, he's been anything but a beast.

In 5 games, he has a whopping 8 receptions for 48 yds. Take away 1 of those eight which went for 31 yds, and you get a much clearer picture of exactly how much he's contributed to SF's offense this year... Not very much.

I'm not discounting his raw athletic talent, but right now (based on what he's done in his 1st NFL season), I'm much happier to see him this week than I would be to see a Whitten, Shockey, Gates, or Gonzalez.

How will this affect the niner's running game? Was he a respected blocking tight end?

Eric is more noted as a receiver than a blocker, even though he is a decent blocker. That's also one of the reasons SF used their 1st round pick this year on V. Davis. Davis is supposed to be able to do it all (Receive and block), much like Tony Gonzalez.

He's (Eric) has 32 receptions this year, and actually led the Niners in receptions in 2004. 05' was also a good year for him. The Niners were hoping to use more 2 tight end receiving sets with Eric and Vernon this week, so that's the big loss for them.

Good question. And how good is Davis at blocking (not good I assume). I think we will probably blitz more than I first anticipated!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom