SF TE Eric Johnson hurt in practice today (1 Viewer)

Vernon Davis has not done much yet. However, he will have his breakout game eventually.
Historically speaking, we are always the team struggling players break out against.
Davis is cause for concern

Vernon Davis has not done much yet. However, he will have his breakout game eventually.
Historically speaking, we are always the team struggling players break out against.
Davis is cause for concern

You can throw "historically speaking statistics" out the window when trying to use them to evaluate this Saints team. Davis won't have his breakout game against us. He's still getting acclamated to the speed of the NFL. His transition from College to the pros has been no different than Reggie's.

In fact, Reggie has adapted faster and better than Davis. The broken leg has definitely slowed Davis down, but he wasn't that effective before the injury...

Will he be a force someday? He certainly has the raw athletic ability to do so, but that means absolutely nothing, if he's unable to translate it to the NFL.

If he didn't, he wouldn't be the first, and he wouldn't be the last.

I dont wish an injury on anyone ... but I would rather have E. Johnson on the sidelines when playing us.... he is one of the best hands TE in the league..... behind M.Colston of course (if you play yahoo FF)....

I dont wish an injury on anyone ... but I would rather have E. Johnson on the sidelines when playing us.... he is one of the best hands TE in the league..... behind M.Colston of course (if you play yahoo FF)....

Absolutely agree, hammernails..

he wasn't effective cause he wasn't in the system long when he broke his foot. So how could he be effective. He was splitting time with the 49ers #1 tightend from the previous year. Now that Eric is out expect Vernon to be more effective. Now I aint saying he will catch 8 for 65 yrds and 2 TD's but he will get more looks without Eric in the line-up. I suspect even though we win the game sunday that Vernon will have a pretty decent game.

Here is the fantasy report on Davis:

News: Davis will start at tight end Sunday against New Orleans with Eric Johnson out two-to-three weeks with a sprained MCL in his left knee, the 49ers' official site reports.

Spin : Davis returned two weeks ago after being sidelined since Week 3 with a broken right fibula and has one catch for 11 yards last week. Needless to say, he gets a big bump up in value and could be Alex Smith's security blanket against the Saints.

The guy broke his leg in week 3 and is returning this season? Sounds kind of beast like to me

he wasn't effective cause he wasn't in the system long when he broke his foot. So how could he be effective. He was splitting time with the 49ers #1 tightend from the previous year. Now that Eric is out expect Vernon to be more effective. Now I aint saying he will catch 8 for 65 yrds and 2 TD's but he will get more looks without Eric in the line-up. I suspect even though we win the game sunday that Vernon will have a pretty decent game.

"...Davis, the sixth overall pick who hasn't yet made much of an impact on the 49ers (2-4), will miss at least one more week while getting back to full strength on his broken leg. He has missed three games since incurring the first serious injury of his life during San Francisco's loss to Philadelphia last month....

...Davis, who got the biggest contract ever given to a rookie tight end when he signed with San Francisco, has done little for the 49ers since catching a 31-yard touchdown pass the first time he touched the ball in the NFL.

He had five catches for 37 yards in that season-opening loss at Arizona. But he hasn't caught a pass since then, dropping a handful of throws in home games against the Rams and the Eagles..."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2636413

Sorry, I just don't buy your logic... Let's see him do it consistently before we annoint him as the next Tony Gonzalez.

Here is the fantasy report on Davis:

News: Davis will start at tight end Sunday against New Orleans with Eric Johnson out two-to-three weeks with a sprained MCL in his left knee, the 49ers' official site reports.

Spin : Davis returned two weeks ago after being sidelined since Week 3 with a broken right fibula and has one catch for 11 yards last week. Needless to say, he gets a big bump up in value and could be Alex Smith's security blanket against the Saints.

The guy broke his leg in week 3 and is returning this season? Sounds kind of beast like to me

And Chris Simms played with a ruptured spleen. Sure it may make him tough but that doesn't help him on the field.

It does not take long for a tight end to make a quick impact. This will be his first start and The 9rs run a very concervative offense. They don't pass often but when they do its usually to Gore or the tight end. Davis will have a good game if he is healthy. I would rather face Johnson this Sunday. At least you know what your getting.

Vernon Davis MUST be respected... I know he's a rookie, and I know he's been hurt, but Dude ran the fastest 40 time at the combine last year... Not just for TEs either, FOR EVERYBODY! He's got athleticism unequalled at the TE position, and (much like Reggie Bush) he's waiting for his break-out performance.

Let's not let it be this week.

never said he would be Tony Gonzalez. And my logic is just that, logic. If your splitting time then all of a sudden your getting the majority of the time you will more than likely get more opportunities to contribute. Now with that SIMPLE logic Vernon Davis will have a decent game. Meaning a few catches and some decent yardage. Like I said I am not saying he was to have 8 catches for 65 and 2 td's.

But he still has the potential to breakout at any point in time. And what better time then when you pick up full #1 duties. You dont' have to buy into the logic. It is what it is.

And Chris Simms played with a ruptured spleen. Sure it may make him tough but that doesn't help him on the field.

Yeah thats true, but it does speak volumes for his toughness.

It does not take long for a tight end to make a quick impact. This will be his first start and The 9rs run a very concervative offense. They don't pass often but when they do its usually to Gore or the tight end. Davis will have a good game if he is healthy. I would rather face Johnson this Sunday. At least you know what your getting.

This is not his 1st start. This will be his 4th start in the 6 games he's played. With the exception of the Arizona game where he caught five of the eight receptions he's had this year, he has not been the player everyone expected.

I respect his potential, and yes, he has awesome measurables, but he's still an unproven rookie...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom