Shanle Has The Worst Stop Rate Vs The Pass (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a big defender of Shanle for a long time. However, there is nobody that can convince me that our LBs in pass coverage is the single weakest part of our team. Granted, I'd much rather have LBs a bit weak in pass coverage than I would LBs that are super athletic and can't tackle like Sedrick Hodge but it is certainly the one area on the team that I think an upgrade could make the biggest impact. When watching a team like the Bears, it really makes me wonder what our defense could do with outside LBs that can fly around and make plays.

Then again, it is hard to compare LBs playing in Greg Williams defense to those playing LB in a cover 2 defense.

And if we were able to generate more of a pass rush from our front four, we wouldn't have to blitz so much, and it wouldn't put so much pressure on the linebackers.

It's a little unfair IMO to see the Saints blitz, often leaving two linebackers out in coverage. It's not a difficult task for a running back or tight end to break free in that situation, especially if the pressure doesn't get to the QB quickly.

Also, it should be pointed out that referring to our players as "garbage" is generally frowned upon and is against the TOS.

That entire post was garbage, so I think they cancel each other out.

I've been in enough debates about Shanle. All I can do now is hope for the best.

I loved it when Cassillas won the WILL and they moved Shanle to SAM, which is where I think Shanle could excel... he's very intelligent but just not athletic/fast enough to play WILL. Sux that JC got hurt, but I hope Shanle can play solid ball down the stretch at WILL.

Doug Farrar works for Football Outsiders which is a highly respected NFL analytics site. This is not just "some blog".

Here's the definition of stop rate from the FO.com site:

Whoa. Hang on there... Footballoutsiders is "highly respected"? By whom?

Now, I kinda like what they try to do, and it is interesting. But keep it in perspective... this is a fan site, grading players (I believe) based on TV footage, and with no solid idea of what any player's responsibility is.

So, yeah, "some blog" is EXACTLY what it is.

But thanks for the Stop Rate definition.

How is this even calculated? If Roddy White catches a 20 yard pass and Shanle tackles him it count's against his stop rate or the corner? Are they averaging yards made per Shanle tackle?

They say it's based on the full play by play account???

shanle no good...we need hulk....hulk stop defenses...hulk smash

How is this even calculated? If Roddy White catches a 20 yard pass and Shanle tackles him it count's against his stop rate or the corner? Are they averaging yards made per Shanle tackle?

They say it's based on the full play by play account???

if i had to take a guess i would say its based solely off when he's in man coverage.. to those who keep saying "its because he's always in pass coverage", the fact that his average is that high over the amount of attempts some of you make it seem like he's taken, doesnt really help his case

if i had to take a guess i would say its based solely off when he's in man coverage.. to those who keep saying "its because he's always in pass coverage", the fact that his average is that high over the amount of attempts some of you make it seem like he's taken, doesnt really help his case

It says nothing of the amount of attempts vs. the amount he is in pass coverage. He's in pass coverage a lot against RBs and TEs and if you watch a game and focus on him you will see how little the ball is thrown his way when he is in coverage. That says something about his ability to cover.

gregg williams said shanle is one of the most underrated linebackers in the league and also shanle was our defensive mvp as voted by the team

Sounds like something a coach should say when defending a player that's not all that good.

We need to get younger and more athletic at the position, no way around it. It pains me to watch LB's we could've drafted like Clay Matthews and Derrick Johnson making plays all over the field and we have people defending Shanle cause he's "solid" and "good enough."

I'm sorry, but I want a playmaker at OLB, not a guy who's "good enough."

It says nothing of the amount of attempts vs. the amount he is in pass coverage. He's in pass coverage a lot against RBs and TEs and if you watch a game and focus on him you will see how little the ball is thrown his way when he is in coverage. That says something about his ability to cover.

i pay attention to the entire front seven every time the D is on the field and everytime the ball is thrown in Shanle's direction (which contrarily has happened quite often) that player is guranteed for a good 6+ yards.. i dont know how anybody actually watching the games could miss this.. Shanle is beyond terrible in pass coverage, he's a very smart player and rarely if ever gets caught out of position but his position is always 2 steps behind whoever he's covering.. and lets not get started on him covering a RB in the flats, Marshawn Lynch ran Shanle right out of his shoes a couple times just couldnt catch the ball if his life depended on it

Sounds like something a coach should say when defending a player that's not all that good.

We need to get younger and more athletic at the position, no way around it. It pains me to watch LB's we could've drafted like Clay Matthews and Derrick Johnson making plays all over the field and we have people defending Shanle cause he's "solid" and "good enough."

I'm sorry, but I want a playmaker at OLB, not a guy who's "good enough."

sorry but i'll take williams' opinion over yours

Wow, if his stop rate has gotten that bad, it's much worse than it was last year. According to Football Outsiders (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/16881/scott-shanle) Shanle was ranked 42nd, 46% stop rate and 6.4yds/pass. By comparison, Chad Greenway allowed 7.2ys/pass and was ranked 54th vs the pass, and Keith Bullucks was 6.9yds/pass, 35% stop rate, and was ranked 87th. I can't find Shanle's stats for this year, but that would be quite a drop-off.

In addition, regardless of what the Yahoo stats say, I've watched Shanle a lot this year, and I think he's played well.

from profootballfocus.com

Random note

JoLonn Dunbar came in for Scott Shanle for just nine plays but in that time managed to register as many defensive stops, three, as Shanle managed in 67. That included a stop on 3rd down & 4th down, Dunbar’s grade (+1.7) put Shanle’s (-1.1) to shame yet again, what more does Dunbar have to do to overtake Shanle on the depth chart?

Random note

JoLonn Dunbar came in for Scott Shanle for just nine plays but in that time managed to register as many defensive stops, three, as Shanle managed in 67. That included a stop on 3rd down & 4th down, Dunbar’s grade (+1.7) put Shanle’s (-1.1) to shame yet again, what more does Dunbar have to do to overtake Shanle on the depth chart?

Dunbar is not a WILL
Dunbar is not a WILL
Dunbar is not a WILL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom