Shanle Has The Worst Stop Rate Vs The Pass (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That speaks volumes.

He does get picked on a lot because he usually the one covering the TE and opponents throw to their TE a lot because of our downfield coverage. Combine that with the caliber of TEs he's faced and of course you'll have some bad lookign stats.

Then again, stats can be shown to prove anything. I think he can be upgraded, but if GW and the rest of the D voted him MVP, then there's got to be something he's doing right.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that a good tight end should be mismatched against a linebacker. Look how often teams line up a DB across from Shockey. What linebackers in the league can even run with Jimmy Graham?

How does TCU Dan defend this or does he bothers too? I got put on BLAST by him after the Atlanta game because I made basically the same statements but this article states it better than I would have articulated it. I pointed out he was garbage lined up against any TE but was criticized because Indy, Minn, San Fran, Atl had great TE's.

I would love to hear from you about this SIR!

He doesn't have to. There are several, very balanced posts above that do so.

I sure wouldn't mind an upgrade at his position.

You can say that about a bunch of positions--even Will Smith's position.

But the fact remains that our defense is solid, and is better in every single way than it has been ever since Payton took over. This is a good defense, good enough to win another Super Bowl.

It's important to remember that. You could take the best defense in the league right now, and I guarantee you they look at our defense and wish they could have some of our players. Every team can use an upgrade.

Except for Vilma, the other 2 starting LBs lack speed and quickness. Both do an adequate job making up for these shortcomings because they are veterans who know the game well. It's more obvious with Shanle, but even Danny Clark was late getting over (near the sidelines) on the Miles Austin reverse TD. A real need for 2011 draft is a LB w/good instincts, plus athleticism. Mitchell has shown improvement, but the future of Dunbar is in doubt. Casilles should return next season.

Who is Doug Farrar and what is a Stop Rate?

(Actually I don't really care about the first part)

Doug Farrar works for Football Outsiders which is a highly respected NFL analytics site. This is not just "some blog".

Here's the definition of stop rate from the FO.com site:

Stop Rate This measures Plays (any tackle or assist, according to official play-by-play) which counts as successful under FO terms: preventing the offense from getting 45 percent of yards on first down, 60 percent on second down, or 100 percent on third and fourth down.

Doug Farrar works for Football Outsiders which is a highly respected NFL analytics site. This is not just "some blog".

Here's the definition of stop rate from the FO.com site:

So what. I've looked at it, and a lot of it is crappy. It's entertaining and somewhat useful. But it's not definitive at all, and some of the conclusions just fly completely in the face of what you see on the field.

Stats out of context are sometimes spot on, and sometimes completely useless.

No doubt he gets some tough man match-ups and has been a solid football player, but his stop rate should surprise nobody. It is pretty much in-line with past seasons. In some discussion threads in the offseason I cited the fact that he allowed an 84.4% completion rate in 2009-worst in the league for a LB and that he was also around bottom five in allowing YAC. He would be a fine back-up LB and good in small stretches, but he is below replacement level for a starting NFL OLB.

So what. I've looked at it, and a lot of it is crappy. It's entertaining and somewhat useful. But it's not definitive at all, and some of the conclusions just fly completely in the face of what you see on the field.

Stats out of context are sometimes spot on, and sometimes completely useless.

I believe PFF also analyze plays not only by their stats but also whether it was a good/bad play made. I don't have an account to pull out their info from though as they for some reason made it a paysite. Only stat I could find on their site was 8 pressures in 170-something passrushes.

edit: And just a thought.. If every other team mostly threw to the RBs/TEs wouldn't this inflate the stats as they were not open as often? I also remember Vilma was the highest rated pass defender among LBers last year?

i dont know about defending shanle......but i would bet that he sees the most playing time out of all our LBs

we have dunbar and clark to rotate with each other......vilma and mitchell see a fair share of swapping........shanle doesnt really have a backup to keep him fresh

Vilma doesn't "swap" with Mitchell. They may give offenses some various looks that has Mitchell on the field, but Vilma is the teams only 3 down LB, and it's not even close.

Last edited:
I was so excited about the emergence of Casillas mainly because it would move Shanle to SAM and Casillas would probably take his place in nickel situations. I think Shanle could have made a very good SAM linebacker.

Shanle's skill set at this point in his career isn't best suited for the WILL position and teams have been able to take advantage of that. We've played a lot of elite TE's this year that most linebackers would have trouble against so of course he's going to struggle but he's still the best we got at that position.

That just means the other team is getting the match up they want 19% of the time. That's not too bad.

I believe PFF also analyze plays not only by their stats but also whether it was a good/bad play made. I don't have an account to pull out their info from though as they for some reason made it a paysite. Only stat I could find on their site was 8 pressures in 170-something passrushes.

edit: And just a thought.. If every other team mostly threw to the RBs/TEs wouldn't this inflate the stats as they were not open as often? I also remember Vilma was the highest rated pass defender among LBers last year?

That PFF "analysis" was horribly wrong. After seeing their write up on Shanle after the Steelers game, I decided to go back and watch that game and ONLY focus on Shanle. Needless to say, they were grossly inaccurate about his number of blitzes, his pressures, and just about everything else involving him. I've pretty much lost faith in any numbers from PFF, as I've realized it would take them an extremely LONG time to go through every game every week and focus on individual players. You're talking about needing to watch 16 games 22 times to focus on each starter. It's just not possible, and a lot of the analysis they do is just pure guesses. Not to mention, they don't have coach film, only TV broadcasts, which makes it even more impossible to accurately grade any players in coverage.

I've been a big defender of Shanle for a long time. However, there is nobody that can convince me that our LBs in pass coverage is the single weakest part of our team. Granted, I'd much rather have LBs a bit weak in pass coverage than I would LBs that are super athletic and can't tackle like Sedrick Hodge but it is certainly the one area on the team that I think an upgrade could make the biggest impact. When watching a team like the Bears, it really makes me wonder what our defense could do with outside LBs that can fly around and make plays.

Then again, it is hard to compare LBs playing in Greg Williams defense to those playing LB in a cover 2 defense.

How does TCU Dan defend this or does he bothers to? I got put on BLAST by him after the Atlanta game because I made basically the same statements but this article states it better than I would have articulated it. I pointed out he was garbage lined up against any TE but was criticized because Indy, Minn, San Fran, Atl had great TE's.
Also, it should be pointed out that referring to our players as "garbage" is generally frowned upon and is against the TOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom