Shaq to Saints: "They are going to try to divide you" (1 Viewer)

It's a strand of the media virus. Both are deadly, but there is a cure. Just press the "off" button.
That helps me, doesn't help society. It's made the ability to communicate easier with the world at large, but we are communicating in the greater sense of that word worse than ever. Also, the way news and information is imparted today, to just press "off" leaves me with my head in the sand and shut off from the world. I don't want that. I appreciate the good aspects, the easy access to "good" information; but it's also made "bad" information easier to proliferate.

They had a human reaction. Human pain. Let them process it and hear what they say comes out of that process.

If you freeze time and stay stuck on that moment, no progress is made.

Don't be one of the people who exploits that pain in order to hurt the process.

They literally have his phone number. If one of my allies or friends says something that ticks me off. I go see them or call them. I don't jump on twitter or facebook.
What makes it even worse IMO, is that they know Drew. They know the man. They know who he is and where he stands. This is not some random stranger they
went off on. It's somebody they know and know well.

I would not let a friend go down like that, much less do it to him myself. Angry or not. Even if it was justified, which I think all the players involved have come to realize
according to their post apology responses.

it can be. Absolutely ......

I think of we are going to discuss the perils and dangers of social media we need to also include the positives.
I agree with all of your post which is why dutar's solution of just shutting it off is no answer.

That helps me, doesn't help society. It's made the ability to communicate easier with the world at large, but we are communicating in the greater sense of that word worse than ever. Also, the way news and information is imparted today, to just press "off" leaves me with my head in the sand and shut off from the world. I don't want that. I appreciate the good aspects, the easy access to "good" information; but it's also made "bad" information easier to proliferate.

Yes, but if we all pressed the off button... we wouldn't constantly be told there is no middle ground. Middle ground or common ground is how agreements are made, how change is made, and how relationships are made. The media and the government (both sides) do everything in their power to drive a wedge in ever single crack in our society. For the life of me, I can't fathom why. But I know in my soul that it isn't for anything good.

Jesus told us all how to co-exist on this planet. In fact, every non-extremist religion and philosophy in human history told us how to get along.

Treat others like you want to be treated.

Something that simple fixes most everything. But we're not being told that at all. And people keep eating what's being fed to them, even though it's being fed to them with a hot spoon.

Last edited:
They literally have his phone number. If one of my allies or friends says something that ticks me off. I go see them or call them. I don't jump on twitter or facebook.
What makes it even worse IMO, is that they know Drew. They know the man. They know who he is and where he stands. This is not some random stranger they

I would not let a friend go down like that, much less do it to him myself. Angry or not. Even if it was justified, which I think all the players involved have come to realize
This is why it's a virus. The things that should be dealt with privately can't be anymore. We haven't yet learned how to handle social media.

Yes, but if we all pressed the off button... we wouldn't constantly be told there is no middle ground. Middle ground or common ground is how agreements are made, how change is made, and how relationships are made. The media and the government (both sides) do everything in their power to drive a wedge in ever single crack in our society. For the life of me, I can't fathom why. But I know in my soul that it isn't for nothing good.

Jesus told us all how to co-exist on this planet. In fact, every non-extremist religion and philosophy in human history told us how to get along.

Treat others like you want to be treated.

Something that simple fixes most everything. But we're not being told that at all. And people keep eating what's being fed to them, even though it's being fed to them with a hot spoon.
Everybody is talking. Who's listening?

ETA: I completely changed that post, dutar, after you already read it. Just wanted to give you a heads up I baited and switched.

[mod edit - referenced deleted post]

I was a musician and a singer-songwriter. I always hoped that it would somehow lead to me being rich, but not famous... if that's even possible, lol. And this sort of thing is the reason why.

Brees is worthy of forgiveness or console for his poorly timed statement
I keep seeing this tossed around but the timing of Brees statement while not the best, was not the underlying factor in the reaction to what he said. Brees has been in the locker room with all of these players over the last 3 years since Brees first commented on the player protest. It wasn't that Brees said what he said. It was the fact that after being told what the real reason the protest was about multiple times, Brees chose to make a statement that ignored the real reason and chose to comment on an invented reason.

Brees already knew that the players were taking a knee during the anthem to draw attention to police brutality and the like. He KNEW that. And knowing what he knew, he CHOSE to go with the "players are disrespecting the flag" line of thought.

It's akin to two parties being in an accident and one side keeps acting as if the other side's intention was for the accident to occur rather than it simply being an accident as that party previously explained over and over again. Brees knew that and the players knew that.

Bolded.

Perhaps the best nonfiction book I've ever read was "Amusing Ourselves to Death" by the late Neil Postman in the 1980s. In a nutshell, it was about the surrender of society to technology. In point of fact, he wrote many similar books, some of which I've read. Postman died in 2003. If he was alive today, he could very well write a direct sequel to his seminal work and title it "Enraging Ourselves to Death."
I keep seeing this tossed around but the timing of Brees statement while not the best, was not the underlying factor in the reaction to what he said. Brees has been in the locker room with all of these players over the last 3 years since Brees first commented on the player protest. It wasn't that Brees said what he said. It was the fact that after being told what the real reason the protest was about multiple times, Brees chose to make a statement that ignored the real reason and chose to comment on an invented reason.

Brees already knew that the players were taking a knee during the anthem to draw attention to police brutality and the like. He KNEW that. And knowing what he knew, he CHOSE to go with the "players are disrespecting the flag" line of thought.

It's akin to two parties being in an accident and one side keeps acting as if the other side's intention was for the accident to occur rather than it simply being an accident as that party previously explained over and over again. Brees knew that and the players knew that.

EXACTLY THIS^^^ people keep wanting to crucify MT, & MJ, like Drew was this innocent victim in all of this. He knew exactly what he was doing. He took a calculated risk thinking the wind of public opinion was still that of 2017, and found that it had done a total 180° turn in the opposite direction. That's why he's been apologizing profusely. It's a business decision, and it's twofold. 1.) He's trying to salvage this season, as to not have this be a distraction. And 2.) For life after football, and his gig being an analyst. But for the record, I do not believe that Drew Brees is a racist, and I don't believe he's a bad person. He just miscalculated the weather in 2020 is all.

My .02 cents

With all due respect, whatever "pain" they felt, which i cannot attest to, is not the issue.

They choose not handle his in private, as friends and teammates should have done, but they (MT and MJ) choose to do it publically on a public forms not to communicate with the Brees family directly, but resulted in in warrented public shaming at best, social media intimidation at worse.

That, you won't do to someone you claim to care about. MT and MJ owe the Brees family an appology for the public parade spectical their choices made of the lives. Nothing, justifies that. And if thats being suck in the moment, then perhaps players should pause and give their thoughts a bit more consideration before posting.

I respect your position, and thank you for taking the time to listen to mine.

In fairness, both MT and MJ also publicly accepted his apology. MT continues retweeting support for Drew since the apology. I understand why they initially went public. I get their rage...hell, I felt their rage because as a Black woman, I am just as likely to suffer the same ending as George.

Everyone involved reacted in a visceral way. Now they appear to be heading towards the same page. I respect all of them for coming together and trying to be better as men.

EXACTLY THIS^^^ people keep wanting to crucify MT, & MJ, like Drew was this innocent victim in all of this. He knew exactly what he was doing. He took a calculated risk thinking the wind of public opinion was still that of 2017, and found that it had done a total 180° turn in the opposite direction. That's why he's been apologizing profusely. It's a business decision, and it's twofold. 1.) He's trying to salvage this season, as to not have this be a distraction. And 2.) For life after football, and his gig being an analyst. But for the record, I do not believe that Drew Brees is a racist, and I don't believe he's a bad person. He just miscalculated the weather in 2020 is all.

My .02 cents
Exactly. Look they apologized internally and camp is coming soon. If you haven't seen an apology by now on social media or what have you. Ain't gonna be one. So forget get about it.

Drew Brees is not a victim in this situation, his peers and or teammates did not "realize" they were wrong...Brees was educated and took ownership and they dapped up and are moving forward...like Men.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom