Shared irresponsablility: Kevin Mathis & Atlanta Falcons(Merged) (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a story that went under the radar yesterday. Atlanta Falcons' cornerback Kevin Mathis is at the hospital after suffer a neck injury.

Kevin Mathis was one of those spectacular finds of Randy Mueller. He came and played wonderful. He was a small but very aggresive corner that gave us a very good season of playing corner. However, he ended his tenure with the saints after having a neck injury. I remember Haslett and Mueller not feeling confident on the healing process and decided to let him go.

Some time later, Kevin was the nickel back for he Atlanta Falcons.

Time indeed has passed but yesterday when I saw Kevin in the stretcher I got really scared, I could have not forgotten how important his injury was and how he has been stubborn to gamble with his life and continue playing. I also wondered the level of clearance he received to allow the falcons to let him play.

I just hope he is fine, and that both player and team will come to their senses now. In a violent sport like this I think you have to be more than careful.

It also makes me wonder about David Pollack, at least it seems that he has it pretty clear that life is much better than football and he won't come back unless he has full clearance from his doctors.

I cant bash Mathis even though it would be pretty tempting to do so becuase he's a Falcon and may in some people minds plays recklessly. I mean I cant spar e him people he fights, he plays hard, he puts it on the line all the time and plays to win, you cant bash him for that. I cannot say he was a bad player for the Saints when he was here, I mean he is a passionate player and you dont have a lot of those in the NFL these days. Mathis just was got a bad hit, he plays hard and likes to hit hard, their is nothing wrong with that. Thats the NFL IMHO

I totally agree with you on the perception of the player. He is pure heart. But he also had a previous neck injury and his former employer decided that he should not continue playing. I mean, he can do what he wants but he is tempting faith. And the falcons are allowing him to do that.

BTW, I just went to the falcons site, and he is fine, he has recovered movement and sensibility and may return to Atlanta soon.

I totally agree with you on the perception of the player. He is pure heart. But he also had a previous neck injury and his former employer decided that he should not continue playing. I mean, he can do what he wants but he is tempting faith. And the falcons are allowing him to do that.

BTW, I just went to the falcons site, and he is fine, he has recovered movement and sensibility and may return to Atlanta soon.

hmmm, heard to figure "sensability" he's a falcon isn't he.
not like someone made him be one.

anyway, good to hear he's ok.;;;
anyone that steps on the field, is putting there body and life at risk.. doesn't matter that they have had a previous injury.

Here is a story that went under the radar yesterday. Atlanta Falcons' cornerback Kevin Mathis is at the hospital after suffer a neck injury.

Kevin Mathis was one of those spectacular finds of Randy Mueller. He came and played wonderful. He was a small but very aggresive corner that gave us a very good season of playing corner. However, he ended his tenure with the saints after having a neck injury. I remember Haslett and Mueller not feeling confident on the healing process and decided to let him go.

Some time later, Kevin was the nickel back for he Atlanta Falcons.

Time indeed has passed but yesterday when I saw Kevin in the stretcher I got really scared, I could have not forgotten how important his injury was and how he has been stubborn to gamble with his life and continue playing. I also wondered the level of clearance he received to allow the falcons to let him play.

I just hope he is fine, and that both player and team will come to their senses now. In a violent sport like this I think you have to be more than careful.

It also makes me wonder about David Pollack, at least it seems that he has it pretty clear that life is much better than football and he won't come back unless he has full clearance from his doctors.

Considering that the original injury happened six years ago, I can't really agree with your opinion. It is also apparent tha the first injury had nothing to do with the second. Maybe the irresponsibility is in his not seeing what he hits.

Kevin Mathis- Non Saints

I don't know if this has been posted yet. I know that the Falcons and us are bitter rivals, but I just read that Kevin Mathis' career prbably came to a sudden end this past weekend due to a spinal injury that he suffered in the Lions' game. I'll leave a link to the thread for those who have an account with this board to leave words of encouragement. We may not like the Falcons, but you never want to see this happen to a player.

Link:
http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=197804

I don't know if this has been posted yet. I know that the Falcons and us are bitter rivals, but I just read that Kevin Mathis' career prbably came to a sudden end this past weekend due to a spinal injury that he suffered in the Lions' game. I'll leave a link to the thread for those who have an account with this board to leave words of encouragement. We may not like the Falcons, but you never want to see this happen to a player.

Link:
http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=197804

Sad news about a former Saint. :(

If you recall, he injured his cervical spine when playing for the Saints. That was a big reason for letting him go.

Thankfully, he isn't paralyzed. He probably shouldn't have played again. But, hopefully he'll count his blessings, recover fully, and hang 'em up.

He was always one of our toughest defensive backs, even though he's pretty small.. Good luck in your recovery Kevin!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom