Sharper Best Saints FS Ever! (1 Viewer)

I love Sharper..............you can't just throw out Myers and Atkins though. Give it a full season (at least) before making a statement like that.

doesnt matter that Sammy was a SS, similar position but he helped with run support
Sharper has not passed Knight in my book, but love his play!

Sharper is terrific, without a doubt, but he has only played two games for the Saints thus far. I know his whole career says a lot.

apparently you are too young to remember Tommy Myers back in the 1970's. Was a teriffic safety.

Based on the posted age, he should not be too young to remember Myers. Myers was a stud, as a SAINT. To call someone the best ever after 2 games is just an indication of how many on the board overreact both ways. It is nonsensical.

I hope he keeps making plays. Turnover margin is the single most important stat for this team. If we win that battle, we won't lose.

Tommy Myers...one of the lone bright stars on otherwise dismal defensive units. Wonder how he would have performed on playoff teams.

Anyone remember Davey Whitsell? 19 interceptions in the first three years, including ten in one fourteen game season. Pro bowler in our first ever season.

Dave Whitsell was selected by the Saints in the expansion draft from the Chicago Bears. The Bears obviously thought his career was about done, but Whitsell had an amazing 10 interceptions for the 1967 Saints. He did make the Pro Bowl. I'm almost sure that he played some corner and some safety that first year.

In 1968-69, he was pretty much used exclusively as a safety. The Saints corners those 2 seasons were Gene Howard and Elijah Nevitt. Whitsell was on the downside of his career and his last season, he did not play well at all. He and Bo Burris were so bad that the Saints brought in another safety, Marv Woodson, who had been waived by the Pittsburgh Steelers ... this was the same Steelers team that won 1 game in 1969. The Saints traded Bo Burris to the Eagles after the 1969 season for veteran safety Joe Scarpetti, who's biggest claim to fame as a Saint was being the holder on Dempsey's 63 yard field goal. Whitsell quietly retired following the 1969 season.

It's a different era, so it's difficult to compare players from the 1960's to those playing today. Sharper has great instincts and, like Whitsell, is a savvy veteran. Like I mentioned the other day, I just wish we had Sharper when he was in the prime of his career. If Sharper is on this team last year, we might win the Chicago and Carolina games, finish 10-6, and who knows?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom