Sharper fined $5000 (1 Viewer)

Two QBs have broken ribs because the didn't do the "QB slide" in an attempt to get a TD. The hits were legal hits and in Hasselback's case, prevented a TD by him.

I expect that you will have to basically let the QB slide in the endzone next year or face a penalty or a fine.

I agree with you for the most part, but I'd be for a rule that treats the endzone like the sideline for running plays. It's kind of poor sportsmanship to see defenders making big hits on players after the ball is clearly possessed in the endzone. I think the play where McNabb was injured was completely unnecessary since the play was over once McNabb crossed the goalline with possession. If he'd have been hit like that after going out of bounds, there would have been a major penalty if he wasn't ejected.

I have no problem with contesting a passing play as the player has to keep possession through to the ground, but if he's made the catch and has both feet down with possession and makes a football move that would make him losing the ball a fumble anywhere else, then you shouldn't be able to hit.

Bottom line is that when a player is on the ground all that is necessary is to touch them. Flying in and ramming them in the back is excessive and poor sportsmanship.

I love Sharper and there were numeorus ridiculous calls in that game, but I think some people are confusing the lame calls made regarding Edwards with Sharper's clearly stupid late hit on Evans which this fine is actually for.

The word "stupid" is becoming overused and highly cliched when it concerns athletes these days. It REALLY is. Find another word.

The hit may have been a tad late, but it's FOOTBALL! How do you expect a 210 lb man to come to a complete stop in half a second? It wasn't done on purpose and not even vicious.

IMO, this clearly was a "stupid" fine and will take away from the game.

The league is becoming more worried about not losing its top draw players to keep tv ratings up. It's not about football as much as showmanship players for big paydays.

We watch football because it is a very physical manly sport with the best athletes keep it that way. If we want to watch something wimpy, there's always the golf channel.

Don't forget nascar

***** Goodell.

Does anyone else expect a new rule that makes it a 15 yard personal foul if you hit a QB in the back while he sliding FORWARD for a TD in live play?

Actually, I expect a rule at some point that the quarterback will have to wear flags, and opposing players can only grab them to put him in a "down" posture. ANY contact with the quarterback's body will result in an automatic touchdown for the opposing team.

Something tells me that if Butkus or Lott played right now, they'd be fine and play within the rules of the game. Those types of hits were allowed then, but leading with your helmet is no longer allowed, and for good reason.

First off the fines for illegal hits are not decided by Goodell. Merton Hanks makes the initial call on if a hit is fineable. I believe Goodell only gets involved if the Player appeals the fine. Last year he lowered some and completely did away with others.

Second the fines paid go to charities that the NFL supports. I have heard that either it is deducted pre-tax or that it is given in the players name so he can get a tax deduction. (not sure which is true).

I thought that Sharper's hit was clearly both late and avoidable. I have no issues with the fine.

Hargrove's hit on Edwards was the bullsnot call! Maybe Hargrove should get Sharper's $5k.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom