Sharper has learned to trust his eyes - article (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
New Orleans Saints safety Darren Sharper has learned to trust his eyes
By John DeShazier, The Times-Picayune
September 22, 2009

He tells himself to trust his eyes, to believe what he sees. Because there just isn’t much New Orleans Saints safety Darren Sharper hasn’t seen in his 12-plus seasons and 185 NFL games as a safety.

The Times-PicayuneNew Orleans Saints safety Darren Sharper has a knack for knowing where to be. What he sees often allows him to be a master pilferer. Sometimes it even allows him to take from teammates.

"When he got the interception — really, that was Roman’s guy," rookie cornerback Malcolm Jenkins said through a smile, referring to Sharper’s fourth-quarter interception Sunday against Philadelphia. Sharper returned the ball 97 yards for a touchdown and the final points in a 48-22 win.

"He didn’t even cover his own man, but he saw something and he went and stole it," Jenkins said.

"I don’t know if it was stealing," Sharper said. "Maybe, (it was) being a little lazy. I didn’t really want to switch sides with (Harper), so I just said I’m going to stay on my side.
More...
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/09/new_orleans_saints_safety_darr_2.html

"A lot of it comes from film study and just being able to look at certain formations and anticipate what the receiver and the quarterback are going to do," Sharper said. "And then just trusting your instincts and going after it.

This team is being coached up and vets like Sharper are like player coaches. Shanle said something very similar to this after his two picks against Kolb. He said something along the lines that he is NOW learning to read the offense AND the QB and know what it is that they are trying to do and anticipating it.

It sounds like they weren't coached up on the reading the offense concept but now Gregg Williams is keying on this. Don't know whether to be frustrated that this went on so long, the lack of basic defensive education or to be ecstatic that it's finally here. I am both but moreso ecstatic.

This will be a special year.

"It’s awesome," said quarterback Drew Brees, who knows awesome when he sees it, especially if a mirror is nearby. He has tied the NFL record with nine touchdowns in the first two games.
Lol I love that about Drew Brees.

It sounds like Jenkins is trying to learn how to study film from Sharper, and it sounds like Sharper is a willing and generous teacher. I'm so glad that those guys, the vet and the youngster both, are wearing the Black and Gold.

Thanks for the linkage, OP.

sharper has done more in two games than the other guys did in two years. great pickup turning a weakness into a strength.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom