Sheldon Rankins designated to return from IR (has 3 weeks to go active) (2 Viewers)

Think about that for a second. We're getting Rankins back and people are worried about him messing up the rotation. Most years we'd be thanking the gods for getting Rankins back for the stretch run.

This is great news. You can never have too many large men up front. Rankins has a lot to play for and he's going to be playing fresh. The amount of starting caliber players we have up front is staggering.

Rankins is in the final year of his contract, so you’re absolutely right that he should highly motivated! He should be playing like his hair’s on fire trying to maximize his 2nd NFL contract.
If he’s back healthy, and can be 80% of what he was back before the initial achilles injury... then he would be an unbelievable and valuable piece in the DL rotations.

We are deep at DL and that allows every player to be fresh throughout the game. There is no deeper rotation in the NFL this season and going into December and playoffs it will clearly pay dividends. Rankins is a quality player who only adds to this rotation by being back.
I’d argue that Washington has a deeper d line. They’re underperforming tho.

I'll take our over performing DL who's getting an elite talent back, over Washington's DL right now. They're good but I love what the Saints are doing right now.
Aside from disagreeing that Sheldon is elite, I wholly agree.

This is great news. I am shocked but very pleased reading this. Having defensive depth is key but having elite defensive depth is almost like having a cheat code. I hope he's near fully recovered. This D-Line could be even more BEASTLY with this addition. If we are healthy and make the playoffs ( which odds are we will), I wouldn't have fear of facing the Packers or the Raiders again.

Rankins is in the final year of his contract, so you’re absolutely right that he should highly motivated! He should be playing like his hair’s on fire trying to maximize his 2nd NFL contract.
If he’s back healthy, and can be 80% of what he was back before the initial achilles injury... then he would be an unbelievable and valuable piece in the DL rotations.

Rankins was on his way to becoming a Pro Bowler before that injury. We've seen players come back from that injury differently. Some bounce back the next season. Some take a few years to regain their form. Sadly, some can never come back all the way.

You're right though, if Rankins can be 80% of the player he once was he'll be a great piece up front.

I mean, he was a first round draft pick. His measurables are elite.
I’m not trying to bag on him, and I know he was drafted high, too high imo. Always a good thing to have depth. Happy he’s returning and hope he can stay healthy moving forward, and for more than just a game.

That's good news. I don't believe we will be seeing play this week though. When Rankins is healthy he can be a beast. He was starting to regain his form before he got hurt again. We can always use high quality depth like Rankins on the DL. Glad he's coming back.

Just confirming that Rankins has been designated to return as of Wednesday, 11/25.

The team has 21 days to activate him. But he's not active yet.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom