Shipping pets cross-country. (1 Viewer)

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know there's a few folks here who work with pets on a professional basis and have to get them from A: to B: somehow.

What's the best way? We'll be moving soon and the thought of driving 1,000 miles with three schized-out cats is uninviting, to say the least. Do kennels commonly ship? We don't yet have a home to move into, so we may have to rent for a while. If so, there's the possibility we won't find a good place that will take so many felines.

Is there an established procedure among pet pros for such shipment?

PS: Yes, we finally sold the house. Got a decent offer, cleared inspection, barring a financial catastrophe on the buyer's end, we're outta here in early March.

Airlines will ship pets and are highly regulated in doing so. They can be shipped flight specific and a kennel can be arranged to pick them up until your arrival.

Airlines will ship pets and are highly regulated in doing so. They can be shipped flight specific and a kennel can be arranged to pick them up until your arrival.

So it wouldn't be unusual for a kennel in Seattle to ship them to a kennel in L.A. where they'd be cared for until we could pick them up once we're in our new home.

It probably doesn't happen everyday, but it has been done before. Airlines usually have a local kennel that they have an agreement with in case flights cancel and the animal needs to be cared for. I'd set something up though. I'm sure it would be cheaper. You'd probbalt have to arrange for someone from the kennel to pick up the animal independently of making arrangements with the airline.

Don't worry about the airline handling the animal. The USDA is always lurking and as a result, we usually take better care of the animals than the owners do. I personally have refused accepting animals that were distressed or the kennel was too small.

Even cheaper would to be to find new cats when you arrive... :D

Last edited:
No help on shipping pets. But, where are you moving to Taurus? I see the "L.A." in the post above. Are you moving to Louisiana? If so, where?

I would never put my pets on an airline, but I WOULD jack em up on children's benadryl. Check with your vet; my sister-in-law is one and she recommended that for my cat, who hates being in a car. It acts as a sedative. Good luck...

LA = Louisiana
L.A. - Los Angeles

Heh, didn't we get into an argument over that distinction once.:hihi:

I thought the same thing, but then he said he was moving 1000 miles. I guess I didn't think Seattle was that far away for L.A., but I guess it is.

there's the possibility we won't find a good place that will take so many felines.

hmmm, just how many cats DO you have?

I have heard of giving cats Benadryl to make them drowsy and docile, but I never had to for my cat.

LS

I'll keep the Benadryl idea in mind.

We have three cats, two younger ones and an old three-legged one who is a godlike mouser.

The trip from Spokane was a six-hour festival of feline sadness. I don't really relish the idea of a three-day trip in an RV with the "freaked out and frightened blues" sung in three-part harmony the entire way.

And thanks for the kind thoughts, Widge, but it's Los Angeles, indeed. My wife has a good gig with Kaiser and we're pulling up stakes to head down there.

I'll miss the clear air, the Sound, cheap salmon and real mountains. But we're looking forward to being able to do more things outdoors and enjoying a place where swimming isn't just an indoor sport.

3 valium would save you a lot of time and money.

/strapthemtotheroof

We shipped golden retriever pups by air all the time, back when Wifey had her kennel business.

Every airline has their own particular rules, but you can usually expect to show up at the airport with the animal before the first flight leaves during the day. They don't want the animal to overheat, so they ship them as early in the day as possible.

Here's the American Airlines page on the subject:
https://www.aacargo.com/shipping/animals.jhtml

We shipped golden retriever pups by air all the time, back when Wifey had her kennel business.

Every airline has their own particular rules, but you can usually expect to show up at the airport with the animal before the first flight leaves during the day. They don't want the animal to overheat, so they ship them as early in the day as possible.

Here's the American Airlines page on the subject:
https://www.aacargo.com/shipping/animals.jhtml

I bet many an animal has perished on an AA flight. If they keep up with pets as well as they do with luggage......... :covri:

:hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom