Shoal Creek still the best Saints bar in Austin? Pelicans games? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm about to move to Austin. I saw an old post on the site where it seemed like Shoal Creek Saloon was the best place to watch Saints games. Anything change in the past 5 years? Also, anyone know a good place to catch Pelicans games?

Yes, Shoal Creek is the best for football. All Saints fans and all tvs on the Saints game.

For Superdome re-opening in 2006, I went there after work on Monday to save our table. Friends went home to change and then came to hold our seats while I ran home to change into Saints gear. The place had filled early with tons of excited Who Dats in black and gold. I got back close to game time, and coming in the door, there was a single Falcons fan ahead of me. There is another restaurant not far down the street where they have tvs in the bar. I saw his jersey and pointed down the street and said, "The Tavern is that way."

Last time I ever saw the guy.

Well. Yeah it's technically the best. But the food is subpar imo. It's a pain in the butt to get good seats (when the saints are winning), and there aren't really that great of drink specials. But the crowd is fantastic. I was there for the NFC championship and Super Bowl and it was amazing. The news even stopped by. There are a few other saints-friendly places I've been feeling out. Better food/drinks, but not as good of a crowd.

Well I'd like to hear some of those places if you would like to share Hotdog, I'm a huge fan, but I really don't like crowds, always preferred to watch the games by myself with a beer.

Well I'd like to hear some of those places if you would like to share Hotdog, I'm a huge fan, but I really don't like crowds, always preferred to watch the games by myself with a beer.

If you don't like crowds then Shoal Creek Saloon won't be for you. I like it there, but you have to get there pretty early and then service is hit or miss on game day. As far as cities not in the Who Dat nation region, Austin is pretty Saints friendly. Most places you go you will probably run into a Saints fan or two on Sundays.

Shoal Creek is the best atmosphere for being with lots of other fans, but as mentioned it is difficult to get a seat.

Since you also said you do not like the big crowded places for watching the game, you might check out Pluckers Wing Bar, on the NW side of town, actually on the border of Cedar Park, near the Lakeline Mall. There is a smaller, but devoted, SAINTS fan base that meets there for every game. Every TV in the place may not be tuned in to the SAINTS game, as is the case at Shoal Creek, but the game will always be on in at least one corner of the place.

Welcome to Austin and Who Dat!

Haha cool. Thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna have to go to Shoal Creek for sure. Thanks for the heads-up on Pluckers as well, as I'll be living in NW Austin!

There's a small place on south Lamar called corner bar. They hang a saints flag out on Sundays. Food trailer in the back and in the front. Pretty chill. Only been there a couple times.

There's midway field house. It's a big place with tons of TVs. Lots of browns fans, but there was a decent gathering of saints fans in the loft upstairs. They put the sound on for us once.

There's red shed down south. Never been there for a game because they only have like one TV, but I have some friends that like it.

Reds porch on Lamar as well. Not a huge fan of the place, but they claim to be Cajun themed.

St. Rochs in east Austin. They too only have one TV, but they supposedly give out free gumbo or something and have cheap Abita.

This last season I tried a lot of places out. Still haven't found my go-to place yet. I probably won't be returning to shoal creek though. Last time I was there, there was a.... Sanitation issue... I won't be eating there at least. Maybe just drinks.

I used to go to the Cajun Pizza Place off McNeil a lot when I lived there. Great gumbo and nice people.

I used to go to the Cajun Pizza Place off McNeil a lot when I lived there. Great gumbo and nice people.

This is where I go now, too, up in NW Austin. The owner is from Lafayette.

Not a lot of seating, though, so you have to get there early just in case. Great étouffé and Gumbo, at least to my tastes - and they stock Abita.

But the food is subpar imo. But the crowd is fantastic.

Sums up the place well. Their shrimp poboy can be surprisingly good, but beyond that the food is downright terrible. The crowd is 2nd-to-none though. I love the place.

The Shoal Creek ("SC") experience on South Lamar in Austin is one of the best outside the Dome. Be prepared to scream, cheer, hug and be hugged, high fives not stop and great kraick. However, it has gotten out of hand. To get a table out back, you have to be there 2 hours before the game. The parking lot cannot handle 50% of the requirements. The food is decent for Cajun food. Drinks are reasonably priced. And its jammed. It's a great experience. Try to find a place out back under the backporch roof.Let the people around know you are new and you will be family by half time.

The parking lot cannot handle 50% of the requirements.

No kidding. Even the supplemental parking lot down the road isn't really much help.

But, I did discover Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat there.

I don't venture out as much as in the past, but living in NW Austin, for years I went to Legends at the Holiday Inn because I like to watch as many games as I can. There were always 5-10 Saints fans there, and good people to watch games with.

The problem there now is that the most frequently-attending Saints fans yells at the top of his lungs after 1 yard gains, or, incompletions by the opposing team. This is rough on my ears, and, it makes all the fantasy players look toward our screen thinking something important has happened.

Just moved to Austin myself.. actually in December. I tried the Shoals Creek for one game and the parking was so difficult we went to another bar.. Woodrows.. A couple of Saints fans but nothing to talk about. I have not had enough experience here yet to offer anything else but was wondering... the Houston Saints fans seem to gather once or twice a year during the offseason... I'd love to meet up with other Who Dats in Austin....

And btw, I still plan on making the 8 hr+ ride back for the home games.. in no way am I giving up my tickets and plan on making all of them... so if anyone wants to ride back let me know during the season.....I'll fly for the Monday games but all of the Sundays I'll be driving...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom