Shoddy Turf Presentation (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Am I alone in being baffled every season by the faded, cheap-looking “paint” job on the Superdome turf?

I know that ownership donates the field to a local school each offseason, but come the hell on. There are high schools with sharper-looking playing surfaces than ours!

Compare our fleur-de-lis to Dallas’ midfield star. That logo is our identity, and it should really pop for viewers.

How about our green, small-lettered end zone wordmark? The end zones need to be black with proportionately-sized wordmarks. This isn’t 1970. “NEW ORLEANS” in gold on one, and “SAINTS” in gold on the other!

Come on, baby!

Am I alone in being baffled every season by the faded, cheap-looking “paint” job on the Superdome turf?

I know that ownership donates the field to a local school each offseason, but come the hell on. There are high schools with sharper-looking playing surfaces than ours!

Compare our fleur-de-lis to Dallas’ midfield star. That logo is our identity, and it should really pop for viewers.

How about our green, small-lettered end zone wordmark? The end zones need to be black with proportionately-sized wordmarks. This isn’t 1970. “NEW ORLEANS” in gold on one, and “SAINTS” in gold on the other!

Come on, baby!
it was explained to me that they have choices of turf and those have different shades
i agree with you its a pathetic looking almost grayish green and not even close to be any sort of realistic color. its made even worse when espn chooses to whiten the whole field except the first down yardage, that just hurts my eyes to watch and try to see the field

and dont get me started on Syracuse orange field and Boise states blue turf

I wonder if it's because the Dome changes paint so much for different activities and games. New game new paint. Dallas never changes the paint.

it was explained to me that they have choices of turf and those have different shades
i agree with you its a pathetic looking almost grayish green and not even close to be any sort of realistic color. its made even worse when espn chooses to whiten the whole field except the first down yardage, that just hurts my eyes to watch and try to see the field

and dont get me started on Syracuse orange field and Boise states blue turf
Were we watching the same game?? I'm watching it again right now on NFL Network and that field looks really green. The only part that looks faded a bit is our Fleur de lis in the middle of the field. Otherwise, it looks great.

Were we watching the same game?? I'm watching it again right now on NFL Network and that field looks really green. The only part that looks faded a bit is our Fleur de lis in the middle of the field. Otherwise, it looks great.

Same here. Didn't even notice until it was brought up in this thread. The end zone lettering looked fine and the fleur looked slightly faded. Wasn't that bad.

So I have some experience in this and artificial turf has a direction that it "leans" when it's installed. If you look at it straight on looking into the "lean" it doesn't look nearly as green than it does from the other angles. The OP doesn't say if he was at the game or not, so just throwing it out there.

So I have some experience in this and artificial turf has a direction that it "leans" when it's installed. If you look at it straight on looking into the "lean" it doesn't look nearly as green than it does from the other angles. The OP doesn't say if he was at the game or not, so just throwing it out there.

Yup exactly like when they mow turf on baseball fields and give it that nice checkerboard look. It’s also a plastic, so the dome lights will reflect on camera and make it look odd when if you were looking at it in real life, or under different lighting conditions it would appear entirely different.

This turf has been good to us. I’m not remembering any major injuries caused by this turf, and the players seem happy with it once the tire crumbs settle in.

We should do like Boise State. Paint the field gold.......or not.

TV doesn’t always portray the true color of the turf. It looks just fine in person.
I think it has something to do with the Dome lights and tv cameras. It does look great in person.

I think it has something to do with the Dome lights and tv cameras. It does look great in person.

This, the field and paint look completely fine in person. On TV is looks weird... but it does look a lot better than it did a few years ago when they first went to field turf from astroturf. It wasn't just the paint, the whole field had some weird dead grass color on TV. It was horrible looking.

They use a water-based paint for the midfield logo and endzone lettering that can be washed off if there is another event like the New Orleans Bowl. It's not permanent. It can't be either.

The blue endzones at Jerry's World aren't painted blue...each blade is actually blue. Same with the star at mid field. They have the cash roll up the star and endzone and replace it with another set for their kickoff classic and Cotton Bowl logos. Again, those aren't painted, the blades of 'grass' are colored individually to create the effect.

Same goes with the boundaries and yard markers at the dome. That isn't paint, those blades are actually white.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom