Shooter incident at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas - 19 children and 2 adults dead (13 Viewers)

What if stellar mental health isn't the issue?

Some people are just evil.
Exactly.

We have been killing each other for no reason since the beginning of time.

Russia has an entire army of evil. The Pilgrims and their ilk - evil as they come.

But suddenly it's a lack of mental health services.

Evil is part of our make-up. One of the many things we can be. And it can't be counseled out of us.

We can talk all around the potential solutions, but ultimately less guns = less homicides, like David Hemenway posits. And it’s with evidence of other nations as example. I agree that more restrictive background checks and closing loopholes will help, but to stop these events from happening or drastically reduce them? I don’t think anything less than drastic measures would be required. It’s just math at some point.

Guns or kids? Which stay at the end of the day? Not to be overly ambiguous or vague, but all in all there’s your answer.

Gotta start when they're in school.
How long do you think it'll take to become a banned topic? It will take people tired enough of seeing this that they demand politicians regulate guns better.

I do have a question though. I read sawed off shotguns aren't protected because they didn't exist at the time of the constitutional convention. Did we have automatic weapons with high capacity magazines back then?

I'm not advocating we only allow muskets, but seems like there is a line where certain weapons require better regulation than others.

I say we ban gun sales and ownership in a major metro area with a high gun violence rate for a year and see what happens.
Illinois has arguably the most stringent gun laws in the country. Do I need to tell you, they happen to have the most murders committed by criminals with guns? 🤷‍♂️

Shouldn't education be the starting point in all this. How can we expect to change if we are unwilling to teach the change. It all starts with education, that is priority number one.

A few here keep shouting "mental health"... well, indeed, there is one mental aspect that needs to be addressed first and foremost: our obsession with guns and violence.
It is sickening to hear some people (again, can't bring it up here) rush to the defense of firearms while children's bodies are still warm, and even still dying.

This is insane.

USA:
Gun ownership rate - 88.8 guns per 100 people (2007)
Gun homicide rate - 29.7 per 1 million people (2012)

UK:
Gun Ownership rate - 6.2 guns per 100 people (2007)
Gun homicide rate - 0.7 per 1 million people (2012)

Here is the transcript of Steve Kerr if the video did not work. It is well said,

I’m not going to talk about basketball. Nothing’s happened with our team in the last six hours. We’re going to start the same way tonight. Any basketball questions don’t matter.

“Since we left, shootaround, 14 children were killed 400 miles from here, and a teacher. In the last 10 days, we’ve had elderly black people killed in a supermarket in Buffalo. We’ve had Asian churchgoers killed in Southern California. Now, we have children murdered at school.

“When are we going to something? I’m tired, I’m so tired of getting up here and offering condolences to the devastated families that are out there. I’m tired of the moments of silence. Enough.

“There’s 50 senators, right now, who refuse to vote on HR-8, which is a background check rule that the House passed a couple years ago. It’s been sitting there for two years. There’s a reason they won’t vote on it: to hold onto power.

“I ask you, Mitch McConnell, and ask all of you Senators who refuse to do anything about the violence, the school shootings, the supermarket shootings, I ask you: ‘are you going to put your own desire for power ahead of the lives of our children, our elderly, and our churchgoers?’ Because that’s what it looks like. That’s what we do every week. I’m fed up, I’ve had enough.

“We’re going to play the game tonight, but I want every person here, every person listening to this to think about your own child or grandchild, mother or father, sister or brother. How would you feel if this happened to you today? We can’t get numb to this. We can’t sit here and just read about it and go well, let’s have a moment of silence. Yay, go Dubs. Come on Mavs, let’s go. That’s whate we’re going to do. We’re going to go play a basketball game.

“Fifty Senators in Washington are going to hold us hostage. Do you realize 90 percent of Americans, regardless of political party, want universal background checks? We’re being held hostage by 50 senators in Washington who refuse to even put it to a vote, despite what we, the American people, want. They won’t vote on it, because they want to hold onto their own power. It’s pathetic. I’ve had enough.”

Do not blame him one bit! Democrats and Republicans, both, have done ZERO. Neither has come up with a well written plan and funding, to help stem the problem. If anyone wants to argue this, then provide the data to dispel what I have said and what Kerr has said.

HR 8, which he mentions, is a start

Illinois has arguably the most stringent gun laws in the country. Do I need to tell you, they happen to have the most murders committed by criminals with guns? 🤷‍♂️

More discredited, misleading nonsense.

Chicago and Illinois have relatively strict gun laws; there are no licensed gun retailers within city limits. Yet rates of gun violence remain high. The gun lobby consistently uses this contradiction to argue that restrictive gun purchasing and ownership laws don’t work. That argument starts to fall apart when you recognize that 60% of guns used in crimes in Chicago are trafficked from other states, particularly neighboring Indiana, which requires no permits, registration, or background checks for purchases.

Why don't you just say that you care more about your guns than the lives of unarmed small children?

Federal reform is the only solution.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom