Shooter incident at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas - 19 children and 2 adults dead (7 Viewers)

A teacher who survived the Uvalde school shooting but lost all 11 students in his classroom, slammed the police as "cowards" for their failures in responding to the attack that left 19 children and two teachers dead.

"They sit there and did nothing for our community," Arnulfo Reyes said in an interview with ABC News on Tuesday. "They took a long time to go in… I will never forgive them."

Reyes, who taught third and fourth grade at Robb Elementary, spoke to ABC News from the hospital, where he has undergone five surgeries to recover from multiple gunshot wounds.

That morning, Reyes said he and his students had been expecting a fun, celebratory day; final tests were complete, and summer vacation was right around the corner. There was little on the schedule that day besides giving out awards and watching the animated Addams Family movie.

But then the gunfire began. When he heard a loud noise, Reyes told the children to go under their desks and pretend to be asleep, not clear what was happening. But then, "When I turned around ... I just saw him," he said.

The gunman shot Reyes in his arm, then continued shooting all over the classroom. He later shot Reyes again, this time in the back, piercing his lung.

"I had no concept of time," Reyes said. "When things go bad, it seems like eternity. The only thing that I can say is I felt like my blood was like an hourglass."

When police finally entered the classroom — more than an hour after the shooting began — all 11 students in Reyes' classroom were dead.

"I feel so bad for the parents because they lost a child," Reyes said. "But they lost one child. I lost 11 that day, all at one time."..........

Man, I feel sorry for that dude’s taillights in the next few years

What can they do?

Assault weapons ban redux, universal healthcare including mental health, social workers in every district trained to identify and redirect kids who are going down the path of flamboyant suicide.
There's more, of course. Support for unions so the single-worker family can be a thing again, raising the legal age to buy a semiautomatic firearm to 21, hell parks and cultural enrichment can ease the sense of doom and alienation that gets people to think suicide by cop is the only way to be heard.
Do not for a moment let government off the hook.

Assault weapons ban redux, universal healthcare including mental health, social workers in every district trained to identify and redirect kids who are going down the path of flamboyant suicide.
There's more, of course. Support for unions so the single-worker family can be a thing again, raising the legal age to buy a semiautomatic firearm to 21, hell parks and cultural enrichment can ease the sense of doom and alienation that gets people to think suicide by cop is the only way to be heard.
@guidomerkinsrules what he said. Instead of collecting fat checks. They can actually work for money

It’s a bit - no, it’s tremendously -disingenuous to say ‘they’ here.
‘They’ can’t do ****
There’s maybe 5-6 people setting the agenda to make sure **** doesn’t get done

Where do I sign up?

A very important point for those calling for bans.

To summarize, if I'm getting his point, is that calling for restrictions, and not enacting them, is even worse than just doing absolutely nothing, since you are creating a boogeyman for the gun nuts to rally around without actually doing anything to restrict them.

It's a very good point and one that you can really apply to a lot of issues. Even on issues where there is absolutely zero meaningful policy change, both sides still feel under threat.

To summarize, if I'm getting his point, is that calling for restrictions, and not enacting them, is even worse than just doing absolutely nothing, since you are creating a boogeyman for the gun nuts to rally around without actually doing anything to restrict them.

It's a very good point and one that you can really apply to a lot of issues. Even on issues where there is absolutely zero meaningful policy change, both sides still feel under threat.
What Itook from it is:
The ones that lose their nut and panic buy weapons designed solely for maximum body count, are the same ones a mental health screening would likely say are a serious risk to kill a bunch of people.

It’s a bit - no, it’s tremendously -disingenuous to say ‘they’ here.
‘They’ can’t do ****
There’s maybe 5-6 people setting the agenda to make sure **** doesn’t get done
Well, in that sense, sure. But you asked what 'they' can do.
All these things are manifestly possible, if certain individuals want them done or are replaced.

One side of the aisle only cares about mental health after a domestic terrorist attack makes the news.

One side of the aisle only cares about gun control after a domestic terrorist attack makes the news.

With no fear of retribution by the voter come election season, we can't be surprised there has been no change.

If you want to force the issue, you'll need to sell an idea. Something simple, direct and easy to fit into a 30 second interview. Preferably something that will do at least a little good.

For my money, promoting the idea that guns and booze should both wait until you're 21 is what you'd want to sell. Yes, you can get booze before you're 21 but it's more difficult and liquor stores take it seriously because there's teeth in the law. Sell to a teenager and your license, your business go 'poof'...gone. Checking ID is a pretty simple thing to teach, an easy idea to get across. You can still put meat on the table at whatever age, so long as you use a revolver, bolt/lever or pump action firearm. No semiautomatic anything until you hit 21. No can buy, no can possess. Just like alcohol. Anyone giving a minor a semiauto is liable in the same way as someone who provides booze to one.

Will it stop deranged adults like the Vegas or Pulse shooters? No. But it'll greatly curtail the problem of kids who go back to their schools with killing in mind. Pick one thing, keep it simple, do something that will help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom