Shooter incident at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas - 19 children and 2 adults dead (8 Viewers)

Great. A new talking point for the gun nuts to latch onto. "We just need to train police better instead of giving up our AKs!"
Well, police probably do need to be trained better in several aspects but point taken

Also being suggested as better solutions than restricting guns in any way:
=================================================

.......To deflect gun regulations, right-wingers offer their own, increasingly outlandish proposals for how to avert school shootings.

One former FBI agent interviewed on the Fox “News” Channel suggested that parents, instead of buying their kids toys and games, should invest in “ballistic blankets” — as if that would stop a determined shooter. Why not dress kids in bulletproof clothing too?

A retired detective suggested on another Fox News show that the answer is to install “man traps” in all schools: “a series of interlocking doors at the school entrance that are triggered by a tripwire … and it traps the shooter like a rat.” He did not, needless to say, offer any suggestions for how to pay for this elaborate idea or offer any evidence that it would prove effective......

Another popular, if self-refuting, GOP talking point is to argue that the answer to widespread gun violence is to make guns more widely available. Sean Hannity suggested a tax break to retired soldiers and police officers who patrol schools. His colleague Jesse Watters called for using covid-19 relief money to hire more school security guards. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton wants to arm teachers.........

The Federalist, a right-wing publication, might deserve some kind of booby prize for the most ludicrous alternative to gun control. It ran an article headlined: “Tragedies Like The Texas Shooting Make A Somber Case For Homeschooling.” So if you don’t have schools, you won’t have school shootings? Genius! But weren’t Republicans just complaining about covid restrictions that kept kids out of school?........

No one is trying to hear this right now.

Sometimes, maybe even most times here are clear signs and warnings that someone is disturbed and possibly dangerous

But to @kizzy821 point. Sometimes there isn't

Sometimes the person you would have sworn yesterday was fine just snaps today
==================================================

The mother of Texas elementary school shooter Salvador Ramos has claimed that he was not violent and that she was shocked he opened fire and killed 21 people.

‘My son wasn’t a violent person. I’m surprised by what he did,’ Ramos’ mother Adriana Reyes told the Daily Mail from a hospital in San Antonio on Wednesday.

Ramos, 18, was fatally shot after firing at and killing 19 children and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday.

‘I pray for those families. I’m praying for all of those innocent children, yes I am,’ Reyes said. ‘They (the children) had no part in this.’...........

Also being suggested as better solutions than restricting guns in any way:
IDK if they are better, but I'll support any reasonable effort which reduces harm. Maybe this isn't a one size fits all solution and to fight over which idea is best when the actual best could be all of them seems futile.

The building I work in has basic security in place which would likely have stopped or reduced this. I don't think we need to go to a level of max security prison, but I do think some commonsense security upgrades and thoughtful building design could go a long way to assisting security and harm reduction.

This was a good bit on having open entrances which the shooter then barred behind him. He was then able to isolate 1 or 2 classrooms from the hallway and trap those kids while locking out police. Not too much different than if a fire had somehow started outside the doors blocking them in.

There was no easy escape route or barrier to entry for the shooter. I don't know how old that bldg was, but it clearly could be improved. Should this be needed? Absolutely not, but anything which can be done to protect lives is fair game imo.

I just don't understand how a solution involving arming teachers is going to help. It would be reminiscent of the gunfight at the OK corral but less bad guys will be killed.

Ted Cruz is a disgusting human who fled his state in its hour of need. He fled his own ethics and morals, if indeed he ever had any, many moons prior to fleeing his constituents.
There was talk about arming pilots after 9-11. That would not have worked either.

I'm only able to verbalize/type my feelings on this today. I've been in a funk since it happened and have waffled through emotions. Shock, despair, fear, anger, malice and sadness. I was drained at the end of yesterday. I also started a new job on Monday so that's part of it too. Today, the Dallas Morning News has on the front page, pictures of every child and adult that were murdered. The story attached to it lists each victim and a few sentences about who they were, and the lives they had. I could only read 2 before grief and anger enveloped me and I had to turn off my iPad. My wife teaches 6th grade right now, and will teach 4th starting in the new school year. My youngest graduates high school next Wednesday. If it can happen in Uvalde, it can happen in Rockwall, it can happen anywhere.

The emotion I feel the most is helplessness. Helpless because nothing will change as a result of this. Helpless because the vast majority of 1 political party is holding the nation hostage on the gun control issue. Helpless because the leadership in this state are not real leaders; they're souless, emotionless drones who only care for themselves and getting elected in the next election. Helpless because they will do nothing about this, and no matter how I vote, it won't remove them from office. Helpless because people are too dug in on this topic, and refuse to budge an inch on better gun control. To many in that party, and citizens who think like them, all of these kids and teachers are "acceptable losses" in their war on gun control. They're winning this battle that has consumed so many innocent and young lives, and yet to them thoughts and prayers are as far as they will go. I do wonder what those thoughts and prayers sound like though. My gut tells me it's complete silence because they're full of sheet and are putting on a show. fork them.

No one is trying to hear this right now.

Sometimes, maybe even most times here are clear signs and warnings that someone is disturbed and possibly dangerous

But to @kizzy821 point. Sometimes there isn't

Sometimes the person you would have sworn yesterday was fine just snaps today
==================================================

The mother of Texas elementary school shooter Salvador Ramos has claimed that he was not violent and that she was shocked he opened fire and killed 21 people.

‘My son wasn’t a violent person. I’m surprised by what he did,’ Ramos’ mother Adriana Reyes told the Daily Mail from a hospital in San Antonio on Wednesday.

Ramos, 18, was fatally shot after firing at and killing 19 children and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday.

‘I pray for those families. I’m praying for all of those innocent children, yes I am,’ Reyes said. ‘They (the children) had no part in this.’...........

Sometimes there isn't, but I once had an airman in my unit from a big midwestern city. He was married into a premade family to an older woman. She started stepping out on him with the neighbor and he was telling guys on his shift. I heard 2nd hand that he complained about having to babysit her kids while the sounds came thru a shared wall in the apt they rented. A few days later, the kid goes out and buys a shotgun. I immediately went to the first Sgt with the info. The troop was immediately given assistance and orders to a remote base where he couldn't take her. From there, He got support from professionals and I believe I saved a few lives.

Point being that 1 out of dozens actually recognized the signs and reported it. The rest were too wrapped up in celebrating his misery. Many ostracized him because he was awkward and an easy target for ridicule. Sometimes, it's as simple as paying attention rather than making fun of a person and not connecting the dots.

Last edited:
I just want to add that the problem isn't necessarily thoughts and prayers. Those are fine. The problem is that there's little to no action taken beyond the T&P. Words are hollow when there's no follow-through. It's the same problem with saying too soon. People say too soon, then we wait and nothing changes until the next tragedy and too soon comments. I think people mean well, but don't realize their inaction is a big part of the problem.

I'm not really optimistic about anything getting done in the current political environment. I do hope for our sake that some minimum level of compromise can at least get the ball rolling in terms of sensible gun legislation like universal background checks for both new and aftermarket transactions and increasing the minimum age to 21 or something like that to start.

It's like a Senator was saying on the floor this week, "what are we doing?" We have to do more. And we can't let a relatively small group of people continue to hijack the legislative process to make even incremental changes to our gun regulations.

The argument against that is they are old enough to join the military and use firearms to protect their country
True, but those firearms are accounted for and stored in a base/unit armory. Any military member doesn't get to parade around town with his newly sighted in M4.

Sometimes there isn't, but I once had an airman in my unit from a big midwestern city. He was married into a premade family to an older woman. She started stepping out on him with the neighbor and he was telling guys on his shift. I heard 2nd hand that he complained about having to babysit her kids while the sounds came thru a shared wall in the apt they rented. A few days later, the kid goes out and buys a shotgun. I immediately went to the first Sgt with the info. The troop was immediately given assistance and orders to a remote base where he couldn't take her. From there, He got support from professionals and I believe I saved a few lives.

Point being that 1 out of dozens actually recognized the signs and reported it. The rest were too wrapped up in celebrating his misery. Many ostracized him because he was awkward and an easy target for ridicule. Sometimes, it's as simple as paying attention rather than making fun of a person and not connecting the dots.

Just out of curiosity, All things being equal - if you didn't know he had bought the shotgun was he acting suspect enough to report anything to the Sgt?

Just out of curiosity, All things being equal - if you didn't know he had bought the shotgun was he acting suspect enough to report anything to the Sgt?
Not at all. But I didn't work directly with the guy. IDK maybe that helped me to have a higher level view and recognize things in time.

I forgot to mention another factor. He was in trouble already financially which is another reason I was dubious that a kid who'd never been outside of a city of millions until boot camp suddenly decided to take up hunting. It was loud alarm bell for me.

A few here keep shouting "mental health"... well, indeed, there is one mental aspect that needs to be addressed first and foremost: our obsession with guns and violence.
It is sickening to hear some people (again, can't bring it up here) rush to the defense of firearms while children's bodies are still warm, and even still dying.
I’ll scream mental health all day long, but it’s the mental health of the senators that worries me

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom