Shooter incident at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas - 19 children and 2 adults dead (11 Viewers)

I was sitting here thinking - and look, I am a flawed human being so before I say what I am about to say, spare me the ridicule - anyway, I was thinking that when this happens again and it will, best I can hope for is that it’s done at a school where all the politicians’ or Fox “News” kids attend.

I don’t want more dead children. I really don’t but damn if it doesn’t impact them, they really don’t care. Then I realized that these em eff’s would probably double down on even less gun restrictions because that’s just how messed up they are.

I was sitting here thinking - and look, I am a flawed human being so before I say what I am about to say, spare me the ridicule - anyway, I was thinking that when this happens again and it will, best I can hope for is that it’s done at a school where all the politicians’ or Fox “News” kids attend.

I don’t want more dead children. I really don’t but damn if it doesn’t impact them, they really don’t care. Then I realized that these em eff’s would probably double down on even less gun restrictions because that’s just how messed up they are.
I won't ridicule you. I think it's a valid response to wanting something done. Sort of like having artisan bread on a sheet sandwich.

It's sad that we are here. It's as much to do with us as it is with Senators tho. We've got to unite and take care of each other.

It's 'United we stand" for a reason.

obviously its an emotionally charged issue, but the online community including EE is not very representative of the US when it comes to guns.

We are pretty well divided on the issue as a country - its not some fringe position to oppose new gun control measures and its not because the NRA is all powerful.

If you scroll through these, its a pretty complex picture. The number of folks who want stricter controls in the last 20 years hovers mostly between 50-55%. The percent who want it 'as is' or looser (combined) is usually around 40-45%. There is a gap but its not huge.

Yet a ban on handguns (except for police or military) usually polls at less than 30%.

Assault rifle ban generally polls at around 50% for, 50% against

There is also a series of questions asked in 2011, 2013 and 2019 about the cause of mass shootings - easy access to guns usually trails behind mental health failures and, more recently, extremist views proliferating online.

Hard to find a consensus policy among all of that - maybe some stuff around the edges on background checks will get going but I am not sure. There's just not enough political support for it once you get outside the online bubble.

I don't own a gun and would be perfectly fine with both a handgun and assault rifle ban, but they are non-starters. I'd also be in favor of reopening all the mental hospitals that were shuttered under the failed Great Society initiatives and make it easier to commit people, but that's even more unlikely than a handgun ban.

We're just sort of stuck where we are

And with that comment, you aren't any better than the shooter.

Um, Steve Scalise got shot in front of a bunch of other reps and it didn't change anything.

All due respect, no it's not. The EE is supposed to be politics free. Go to the MAP site to discuss politics. We're giving some leeway here for now, but if it turns into a pissing match, we'll end up with a bunch of deleted posts and a locked thread. As long as the discussion is reasonable, will let the discussion continue.
Without getting political, some of us have to vent to allow the level of frustration to come down in ourselves to be able to cope with the reality that our elected officials are truly incompetent.

Last edited:
obviously its an emotionally charged issue, but the online community including EE is not very representative of the US when it comes to guns.

We are pretty well divided on the issue as a country - its not some fringe position to oppose new gun control measures and its not because the NRA is all powerful.

If you scroll through these, its a pretty complex picture. The number of folks who want stricter controls in the last 20 years hovers mostly between 50-55%. The percent who want it 'as is' or looser (combined) is usually around 40-45%. There is a gap but its not huge.

Yet a ban on handguns (except for police or military) usually polls at less than 30%.

Assault rifle ban generally polls at around 50% for, 50% against

There is also a series of questions asked in 2011, 2013 and 2019 about the cause of mass shootings - easy access to guns usually trails behind mental health failures and, more recently, extremist views proliferating online.

Hard to find a consensus policy among all of that - maybe some stuff around the edges on background checks will get going but I am not sure. There's just not enough political support for it once you get outside the online bubble.

I don't own a gun and would be perfectly fine with both a handgun and assault rifle ban, but they are non-starters. I'd also be in favor of reopening all the mental hospitals that were shuttered under the failed Great Society initiatives and make it easier to commit people, but that's even more unlikely than a handgun ban.

We're just sort of stuck where we are

There are other solutions. Background checks. Strict licensing with training requirements. Liability laws. Require insurance for gun owners. Etc.

The sad and simple truth is that most americans don't care about "other people's kids." Until we are personally effected by tragedy we just want to offer thoughts and prayers and not be inconvenienced. We turn a blind eye to crime in poor neighborhood, growing inequality, poverty, lack of access to healthcare.

If it isn't happening on our own cul-de-sac, it may as well be happening on the other side of the planet.

And with that comment, you aren't any better than the shooter.
I disagree. I think it's a response to negative emotions and a desire to do something. It's a hope that if there has to be another incident, it resonates with those most against change to prevent it.

That is a long way from taking 2 assault rifles into a classroom of unarmed elementary school kids and opening fire. If you are honest, you can see the difference.

I also recognize that your reaction is similarly valid. IDK what those might be, but I can say I share hesitancy about where gun legislation could lead. I can see where a desire to protect that could make someone become hyperbolic in response to what they view as over stepping. It makes a lot of sense.

Well, just remember what their response was at that the shooting at the Congressional softball game didn't change much. So...yeah.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom