Shooter incident at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas - 19 children and 2 adults dead (3 Viewers)

its called process paralysis. They had no idea what to do, no leaders to lead them and they simply "froze" waiting for instruction
Going through that door without waiting for instructions when you know children are being killed is called heroism. Heroes take initiative, it’s too bad the police department had no heroes for those children.

Those cops need to turn in their badges

This brings up a very scary thought when you say schools are already setup and knowing the teacher defeated the security. It has not escaped me that we are no longer talking about the atrocities in Ukraine as much.
The teacher certainly seems to have ignored security training. And I bet these type of "lapses" in security training happen frequently. This specific case happened to expose a systemic flaw in how an 18 yro is able to purchase such a lethal weapon and use it with grave intent. Unfortunately the narrative may trend to placing blame on the teacher. However, those who would place that blame may have a different opinion if the same situation allowed an illegal immigrant into the school, even if the immigrant did nothing harmful. I doubt the teacher would face such scrutiny as it would be allow those people to direct their criticism at the border. But that's a different discussion.

No, we don't need to get away from the how and focus on anything else. We need to focus on all of it.

In the long term, yes agreed.... In the here and now.... The How isn't going away... Immediate change will only be obtained thru realistic and attainable means.. Not illogical and unattainable demands. That will only be meet with what it's always been meet with... division.

How about we divert the funds that were going to be sent to the Dept of Homeland Security "Disinformation" task force and set up a task force for school security? Every single school needs to have their security measures, adequacy and protocols evaluated and whatever issues they have need to be corrected asap. Schools also need to be randomly tested, without warning to evaluate their response and adherence to protocols. How about having a task force that can evaluate changes and methods of ensuring a school is and stays secure?

Growing up I remember visiting relatives in Northeast Louisiana, Winnsboro to be exact, and every truck had a gun rack with a deer rifle and a shotgun in it. Guns were literally everywhere and people were not shooting up schools.

I wonder what has changed since then?

That's a matter of preference/opinion... As a former Soldier... I can tell you, if you ask any foreign Soldier that uses the AK (7.62) platforms... they will tell you the opposite. And another surprise nugget of information for you... the AR also has a 7.62 variant... the AR10.... and the AK has a .223 / 5.56 platform... the Gallant. There is no way around this. Making one type of round or platform unavailable... stops nothing. We pretty much agree on everything else.

Fair enough, but I think I'll take the opinions of NATO and the U.S. Department of Defense on this issue and they clearly believe that .223/5.56 is the best ammunition for killing people.

And, I'll also add that part of the reason I think stopping the sale of the AR-15 in particular, or at least severely limiting it, might help is because like you said, young people, including deranged young people who would shoot up schools, think it's "cool" and it gives them the power fantasy. The AR-15 is so much a symbol of power and freedom in our society, as well as being so readily available, that it may be the thing that tips them over the line from troubled teen to mass murderer. Maybe if they can't get what they think of as a the cool weapon that makes them more powerful than the police and everyone else, they might think twice before trying to go on a shooting spree in a school or elsewhere? So, maybe you are right that in the end it stops nothing, but as I said there is little to no reason for civilians to have them anyway so even if it ultimately fails to do anything, it is still worth the possibility, no matter how small, that it might help.

How about we divert the funds that were going to be sent to the Dept of Homeland Security "Disinformation" task force and set up a task force for school security? Every single school needs to have their security measures, adequacy and protocols evaluated and whatever issues they have need to be corrected asap. Schools also need to be randomly tested, without warning to evaluate their response and adherence to protocols. How about having a task force that can evaluate changes and methods of ensuring a school is and stays secure?
I dunno, kinda seems like we could use that department based on some of the arguments i've seen in here.

The teacher certainly seems to have ignored security training. And I bet these type of "lapses" in security training happen frequently. This specific case happened to expose a systemic flaw in how an 18 yro is able to purchase such a lethal weapon and use it with grave intent. Unfortunately the narrative may trend to placing blame on the teacher. However, those who would place that blame may have a different opinion if the same situation allowed an illegal immigrant into the school, even if the immigrant did nothing harmful. I doubt the teacher would face such scrutiny as it would be allow those people to direct their criticism at the border. But that's a different discussion.
The security lapse is definitely a big issue to me. I've seen many people defeat such measures for convenience and it disturbs me greatly. Probably because of my military experience dealing with sensitive materials and the high cost personally of that kind of action. This was a huge lesson I can only hope resonates with all people who would cheat security for any reason.

I like all those ideas. I'd stipulate that it's a bit political to use that about funding sources and it doesn't help your cause at all. I mean, I could easily frame it as let's but a school security tax on gun manufacturers. Would that win much favor?

Growing up I remember visiting relatives in Northeast Louisiana, Winnsboro to be exact, and every truck had a gun rack with a deer rifle and a shotgun in it. Guns were literally everywhere and people were not shooting up schools.

I wonder what has changed since then?

Depending on when you grew up, probably thousands of things or more.

I dunno, kinda seems like we could use that department based on some of the arguments i've seen in here.
Can't tell if kidding, half kidding, so...

In all seriousness, what do you think is more important, internet trolls spreading false memes or 18 yo kids picking up a gun and murdering a classroom full of children.

Sorry if you were just joking, i just don't have much of a sense of humor on the subject. Partly, but definitely not limited to the fact that I have kids in school and my wife is an elementary school teacher and many of my family and friends are also teachers,,, with children in schools.

This place is so forked.

Ask professionals or parents of children who had to grow up in war torn areas who have no choice but to practice drills for bombs & gunfire how that has impacted these babies’ psychological development over time. Ask what it has done to them. They don’t want it. They are forced to do it.

We have a forking choice in this country! We could make this place safer for kids to go to school and not subject them to this kind of trauma. But instead of fixing things at the adult level, we choose to place the burden on these poor kids via active shooter drills, bulletproof backpacks, how to play dead, etc. It’s sick. This country is sick & forked.
If it wasn’t for my own children I’d be out. I’m done. 2016 started it, Covid and the mass murders have sealed it.

I like all those ideas. I'd stipulate that it's a bit political to use that about funding sources and it doesn't help your cause at all. I mean, I could easily frame it as let's but a school security tax on gun manufacturers. Would that win much favor?
While political, I'm just trying to pint out the ridiculousness of the things the government (not just one side) will spend money on because it serves them politically or props them up morally, but when it comes to something more serious, they can't get out of their own way.

ETA: I'd definitely be for your proposal BTW

Can't tell if kidding, half kidding, so...

In all seriousness, what do you think is more important, internet trolls spreading false memes or 18 yo kids picking up a gun and murdering a classroom full of children.

Sorry if you were just joking, i just don't have much of a sense of humor on the subject. Partly, but definitely not limited to the fact that I have kids in school and my wife is an elementary school teacher and many of my family and friends are also teachers,,, with children in schools.
Well, when those trolls and memes lead to that kid picking up a gun or lead voters to misunderstand the facts and prolonging mass shootings, I'd say it is pretty dang important.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom