Shooter incident at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas - 19 children and 2 adults dead (2 Viewers)

How about we divert the funds that were going to be sent to the Dept of Homeland Security "Disinformation" task force and set up a task force for school security? Every single school needs to have their security measures, adequacy and protocols evaluated and whatever issues they have need to be corrected asap. Schools also need to be randomly tested, without warning to evaluate their response and adherence to protocols. How about having a task force that can evaluate changes and methods of ensuring a school is and stays secure?
Because pulling budget from the "disinformation task force" wouldn't be a drop in the bucket to what's needed to secure schools. It'll take an undertaking similar to the establishment of the TSA (but far exceeding the quality of) to do it correctly.
I have done as much as I can to prove how illogical those reasons are... we are just going to disagree on that... It's like when a drug dealer is killed, another one just like him is just going to step in and do the exact same thing, no matter how un-cool he looks... the function / outcome will be the same. The systemic reason for him to exist, and perpetrate the behavior has to be dealt with... or it's an endless cycle of replacement. And the SKS had the title of "weapon that is better at killing people than any other weapon"... Until the M1... Until the M14.... Until the AK... Until the M16... Until the AR15... Until "insert the next weapon here".

Does the lack of a Tommy Gun stop Al Capone? Does the lack of an AK47 stop "drive by" shootings by gangs in the 90s? We know the answer....
Then we'll ban whatever comes next

This doesn't seem like such a good idea.
It would have to be a short warning. Like day of or minutes prior. I've been in too many useless drills to think it would be effective when they have weeks to prepare and tell everyone what's happening and when. Mentally if you are there, you check out of the process since it's so stupid.

I have done as much as I can to prove how illogical those reasons are... we are just going to disagree on that... It's like when a drug dealer is killed, another one just like him is just going to step in and do the exact same thing, no matter how un-cool he looks... the function / outcome will be the same. The systemic reason for him to exist, and perpetrate the behavior has to be dealt with... or it's an endless cycle of replacement. And the SKS had the title of "weapon that is better at killing people than any other weapon"... Until the M1... Until the M14.... Until the AK... Until the M16... Until the AR15... Until "insert the next weapon here".

Does the lack of a Tommy Gun stop Al Capone? Does the lack of an AK47 stop "drive by" shootings by gangs in the 90s? We know the answer....

"We can't do everything" is not a good reason to not do something.

It would have to be a short warning. Like day of or minutes prior. I've been in too many useless drills to think it would be effective when they have weeks to prepare and tell everyone what's happening and when. Mentally if you are there, you check out of the process since it's so stupid.

I get your point, but surprise active shooter drills could end up in all kinds of bad ways.

And, like I said, there is really no good reason for civilians to have .223 or 5.56 chambered guns. Certainly no good reasons that outweigh less deaths of children. Even if it is only one.
This (emphasis added]

Growing up I remember visiting relatives in Northeast Louisiana, Winnsboro to be exact, and every truck had a gun rack with a deer rifle and a shotgun in it. Guns were literally everywhere and people were not shooting up schools.

I wonder what has changed since then?
I had one in the 80’s…

The security lapse is definitely a big issue to me. I've seen many people defeat such measures for convenience and it disturbs me greatly. Probably because of my military experience dealing with sensitive materials and the high cost personally of that kind of action. This was a huge lesson I can only hope resonates with all people who would cheat security for any reason.
This is why the restrictive supplement on the gun side is needed. Space Shuttle Challenger, Piper Alpha, Deepwater Horizon, Seacor Power Rig Boat...all due to human lapse of established procedures.

I wasn't disagreeing with his point, just adding another layer to it. In my own family, my wife quit a good future with a marketing group so that she could have a schedule that matched the kids and she could be near them during the day. She's been an asst elementary teacher for over 20 years now. Financially, it's made things a little more difficult, but it's been a blessing for us in every other aspect.

I guess I'm just pointing out that even doing things like that aren't possible for some families. I personally chose to leave a job where I likely would have become an owner of the firm and made a lot more money when my daughter was born because that job took too much time and I thought it was important to be there for her. It was a decision to make less money in the long run for a better quality of life and more time with my daughter. And, my wife worked more or less part time for many years while my daughter was still in lower and high school. But, we were lucky that we still made good money compared to most people in New Orleans and other places who likely can't even afford to make decisions like that.

And, to be clear, I'm not saying that you don't know that to be the case. I just want to emphasize that it's more about our economy and the disappearance of decent paying middle class jobs, than parents not being willing to do those things anymore.

A couple of questions/musings about the school with one door.

It sounds like a good idea, if you think of the school all locked down when a shooter happens to attack it in the middle of the day. But what happens in the morning when the kids are going in, or the afternoon when they are leaving?

What about the windows?

Are all schools going to be retrofitted? Or would this be a new school thing?

What about campuses? Middle school, HS, colleges? Will they be walled in?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom