Short throw on deep route in man-man (1 Viewer)

RazorSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So after watching the Owens play yesterday against Porter and the Brady play to his TE tonight, does anyone else think there's a possibility that the qbs are coached to throw a little short on those to get the automatic spot foul when the receiver tries to run through the DB to get back to the ball? I think Palmer's throw was just off because he's bad enough these days to not deserve the benefit of the doubt, but I wonder if the qbs are taught to exploit that matchup between a single dback, the receiver, and the refs.

Maybe it makes me a conspiracy theorist but I think it would be foolish not to exploit it.

If the DB has his head turned back watching the ball like he is supposed to then it will be Off PI...

Yes, the slightly underthrown deep ball, much like the back-shoulder throw, is a designed nuance in the route/QB read.

It is much easier for a WR, who is looking back for the ball, to plant his foot, stop, and jump for the ball than for the CB to turn and find the ball, plant his foot, stop, and jump.

Brees even does this on shorter routes. He basically throws the ball just barely over the back of the defender's helmet. He knows there is virtually no way for the defender to get his head around, locate the ball, and make a play. The best the defender can hope for is the ball to hit the back of his raised arms/hands and not get called for "faceguarding pass interference."

the perfect way to defend that pass actually came in the same game.. Devin McCourty played that same route to picture perfection against Braylon Edwards and made a great interception, mind you it wasnt the best thrown ball but McCourty basically showed you how its supposed to be defended.. of course going against a veteran reciever like Owens always adds a little more difficulty in defending those type of deep routes

the perfect way to defend that pass actually came in the same game.. Devin McCourty played that same route to picture perfection against Braylon Edwards and made a great interception, mind you it wasnt the best thrown ball but McCourty basically showed you how its supposed to be defended.. of course going against a veteran reciever like Owens always adds a little more difficulty in defending those type of deep routes

of course it wasn't, Sanchez threw it :shrug:

yea, point taken lol but it was still well defended by McCourty.. his 2 other interceptions were WAY worse passes than that one

oh you mean the one he threw directly to the Pats player who was very stealthy while he just stood there in the middle of the field and waited for Dirty Sanchez to toss him the ball?

Yes, often times, the plan is to draw a P.I. flag against the D in that situation. It is a difficult route to defend, especially for the smaller corners on the tall, fast receivers. You're either hoping for a P.I. flag, or a great catch by your WR. Otherwise, you lead your receiver and put the ball in front of him, where only he can catch it. It's risky, but I find that a the good QBs know how to pull it off. Sometimes, it's done out of desperation by a team that's having problems moving the ball.

oh you mean the one he threw directly to the Pats player who was very stealthy while he just stood there in the middle of the field and waited for Dirty Sanchez to toss him the ball?

well its really pretty much a toss up between that one and the one that was thrown in the direction of the one jets wide reciever that was covered by the entire Pats defense

well its really pretty much a toss up between that one and the one that was thrown in the direction of the one jets wide reciever that was covered by the entire Pats defense

:hihi: oh yeah I forgot about that one at the goalline :covri:

Tony Gonzalez got some PI calls by pulling-up on short routes as well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom