Should Bob Riley be Mccain's VP candidate (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Is it possible that Alabama's Governor bob Riley would be a good VP for Mccain? Bob Riley has been a great governor for my state and even though it would be bad to lose him, I think he would be good as a second man to Mccain. Riley is in many ways a moderate Republican, easy to work with, moderate on social issues and has brought a lot of industry to Alabama.
I think it could work well.

What do you guys think?

Governor Riley would make a very good VP candidate if McCain wants my vote. He didn't quite understand Louisiana's problems post-Katrina when the governor's of AL, MS and LA testified before Congress. But he's done a good job with your state and might do a good job for the country. :shrug:

TPS

Thanks Steve for your compliments. BTW Are you going to any Hornets games in the remainder of the season? They are having a good year and need all the support they can find. I think also they signed a sponsorship deal with Direct TV the other day and with St. Tammany Parish that will really help our chances with attendance.

Big game tonight vs Spurs, New Orleans really has to step it up vs the champs coming in to town.

Yeah, I'll probably go to a couple of games before the season is up. I've been trying to work corporate for some tickets to our suite, but so far no dice. :mad: My biggest problem with the games is that I'm 50 miles out of town. It's hard to go all the way home just to pick up my kids and turn back around to come back. But after I move back to the city, I'll probably get some type of season package (12-20 games) and make as many as I can. The game tonight should be exciting. I'm not sure if you have Cox Sports Television on your local cable, but they will be airing this game and all the rest of them throughout the remainder of the season with the exception of Sunday's game against the Pistons which is on ABC.

The Spurs jumped on us early last time, and we couldn't recover. But with West back in the lineup, I'm looking for a closer game this time They are always tough the closer you get to the playoffs, but it's not like they are much better than we are. Team playing with the most hustle and the team hitting the outside shots probably wins this game.

TPS

No love for Sarah?

542389855_811a187e7b.jpg

Sarah-Palin-Vogue.jpg

Btw Saintsman, it's only 80 days until Hurricane season. It should be an interesting one as the consensus between the Austrailian and American governments is that La Nina should probably hold through most of the summer. This usually means more storms, but depending on other factors, often brings a lot of recurvatures. bastagei's winter analogue was 1949-1950. The 1950 season saw a lot of Florida hits, some curves SW into Mexico and a lot of fish spinners in the Atlantic. He hasn't called 1950 an analog season yet, but in case that year gets thrown out later, here's a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_Atlantic_hurricane_season

Then I heard someone else talking about 1971. 1971 was an interesting season as a lot of storms paralleled the east coast, including one depression which dumped a ton of water from FL up through the Carolinas, as well as some Gulf action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Atlantic_hurricane_season

Dr. Gray's & Landsea's team should be out with their update in April giving us a few of the analogs they might be using. As of their December update (using October and November data), their analogs were:

1953 - Featured a lot of Western Atlantic Development and some hits on Florida.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Atlantic_hurricane_season

1956 - Featured a couple of hits in Louisiana and a mostly quiet season otherwise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_Atlantic_hurricane_season

1989 - Featured Hurricane Hugo with not too much else to affect the continent That year's Allison rained 25"+ over northern Louisiana (Winnfield)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Atlantic_hurricane_season

1999 - Was a season that featured mostly Atlantic Storms with Floyd having the biggest impact following a couple of weeks behind Dennis. Hurricane Bret hit Kings Ranch between Corups Christi and South Padre Island, TX.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1999_Atlantic_hurricane_season_map.png

2000 - Mostly an Atlantic year with some effects to Florida and Texas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Atlantic_hurricane_season

TPS

I'm almost positive it's going to be Romney. It's been bantered about some on AM radio. McCain knows he can't get the social conservatives excited, Romney will secure the fiscals to go along with the foreign policy conservatives he already has. Two out of the three conservative groups solidly behind you isn't bad.

>>Two out of the three conservative groups solidly behind you isn't bad.

No it isn't, it's abslutely terrible. :17:

TPS

Thanks Steve. I will tell my Dad about the preliminary reports you have come up with. He likes to hear what you have to say about hurricane season because you are usually right most of the time in your analysis and predictions on what happens with these things.

Keep up the good work and I hope to hear what your predictions are come late May.
I know my Dad certainly will.

Much appreciated Steve.

I'm almost positive it's going to be Romney. It's been bantered about some on AM radio. McCain knows he can't get the social conservatives excited, Romney will secure the fiscals to go along with the foreign policy conservatives he already has. Two out of the three conservative groups solidly behind you isn't bad.

Ugghh.

What makes you say that?

Ugghh.

What makes you say that?

Talk radio buzz. Laura Ingram has done a few interviews with people that keep brining it up as has Hannity. Typically when they all start talking about the same thing in unison it's because they know something and are judging public reaction.

Here's an article about Romney subtly campaigning for it and McCain staying mum.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN1219694420080312

Romney has been saying things like "anyone would be honored to be asked to be VP" which in political speak translates to "pick me! pick me!"

Also, the fact that all the talk radio people are slobbering all over him about what a great choice he would be and how it would unite the party. They are actively working to prepare their base for the announcement so it gets a giant unified cheer come convention time.

McCain is going through the motions but I think the Republican establishment has already picked his running mate.

>>Thanks Steve. I will tell my Dad about the preliminary reports you have come up with. He likes to hear what you have to say about hurricane season because you are usually right most of the time in your analysis and predictions on what happens with these things.

I'm going to be looking at things towrad the end of May, and if I see anything worth passing on or ideas that I end up looking at, I'll give you a headsup. Same for you. If you run across anything worthwhile on the upcoming season, let me know.

TPS

Actually, I don't think McCain really has to pander to any of the three factions. The best way to get conservatives excited about his candidacy is not simply an exercise in finding the most widely accepted conservative VP, but rather in a series of announcements regarding the quality of people he would surround himself with in the White House. Key appointments in Treasury, OMB, State and Justice can show Americans he won't follow the neo-con route, while re-assuring his "base" that he would follow a conservative philosophy. This doesn't mean that all of these appointments would necessarily be Republicans, but they would hold a conservative stance in their areas of expertise.

Anyway, I think his VP choice will be a person in his 50's to early 60's with good experience and the ability to help him carry a state with a lot of electoral votes, i.e. New York, California, Florida or Texas. I don't know his age, but Gov. Crist of Florida seems to be the person most think he will choose.

Edit: Crist is 52 or will be 52 later this year and has a picture of and quote by Ronald Reagan on his home page. He'll be the choice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom