Should cable news continue to cover Trumps post campaign rallies?

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is more of a philosophical question I suppose, as I'm not in favor of any sort of censorship. I guess my question is should cable news run these rallies on their airways? They're not for any other purpose than a pep-rally. At some point, are they contributing to the presidents propaganda if they keep running them without question?

My personal feeling is that they should be covered if the purpose of the rallies are for a roll out of specific policy initiative, as I think in those types of rallies information can be gained. Or if it's near the start of a new campaign season for re-election. But right now, the purpose of these pep rallies are so that he can distort reality, lie and propagandize while rallying the troops. They should cover it in written media for sure, but I'm not sure putting it on air is beneficial to informing the public in any way.

This article from NPR is what sparked my question.

The campaign mode continues this weekend, with the president again rallying like it's 2016. He teased it at his news conference: "In fact, I'll be in Melbourne, Fla., 5 o'clock on Saturday, and I heard — just heard that the crowds are massive that want to be there."

Perhaps the campaign goes on because the president sees it as good politics. It enables him to dominate the cable coverage, much as he did in 2015 and 2016. By doing so, in all likelihood, he will keep his supporters enthused and united. This will pressure congressional Republicans to back his versions of the policies on which they differ.

Trump Press Conference Shows President Seems Determined To Continue Permanent Campaign : NPR

rob22278

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
CNN's ratings have never been higher. Of course they will keep carrying them. His supporters and his haters have the same answer when asked why they watch so much coverage: I want to see what he'll say next.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Until people stop tuning in, they won't learn that they're just acting as his own media team by covering these rallies.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If they were praising him and endorsing his message unconditionally, then I'd have an issue.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He's seriously stuck in election mode.

He just said this in South Carolina:

"I have to say I love South Carolina. I love it. This was a place that was going to be tough to win and we won in a landslide."

A tough win in South Carolina? Ha!

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I think you have to cover his public appearances -- he's the President -- but I don't think you need to televise them in their entirety nor should you.

Anything public officials say in these kinds of events is going to be relentlessly self-serving, and any news outlet should be covering "news", which is to say new events or conditions, not a repeated message that's essentially nutrition-free. Major policy addresses might be a different story, but these are pep rallies.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the ongoing public mental breakdown of the President of the United States is newsworthy for every news outlet on the planet.

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the ongoing public mental breakdown of the President of the United States is newsworthy for every news outlet on the planet.

What's new about it?

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
People watch Trump on TV for the same reason they watch NASCAR. Things go as expected for a while, but you know it's only a matter of minutes before you see the crash. The irony however of complaints from the Trump Administration regarding the media, however...

bcb5d49e5bd309ee7050a01e3e64c17a.jpg

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
theoretically, they should have their mission statement about what is news (which they should cover) and what isn't (which they shouldn't)
of course we know that ratings will trump........................as it were............ news 10 out of 10 times

BUT
i also would not mind if they only gave the most basic information "ya da ya da Trump rally - and now Sports"

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
So wait - was his press conference just to drum up attention for his rally?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom