Should Drew announce his decision sooner rather than later? Is the decision his to make this year? (1 Viewer)

Ihartsaints

Very Banned
Reaction score
Is there a benefit to the team to know what Drew's status is as early as possible?

In the past, there was talk that the Team might nudge him to retire even if he was leaning toward another run. Is that still being mentioned.

I'm just curious because, with the likes of Stafford, Rogers, and Watson potentially hitting the market, does the indeterminant status handicap luring one of them here?

I heard a statement from Loomis recently that it is up to Brees if he wants to come back. Who knows what conversations actually take place though to influence the decision.
I just don’t see him coming back. And I am sure if Payton and Loomis want to make a move, they will find out what they need to find out in order to make the move.

I'm sure he will make it official before free agency. He's probably just waiting till after the Super Bowl to announce it.

I’d personally be stunned if he came back, and I’m sure Payton and Loomis know already. When he announces it publicly makes no difference. I’m sure the front office has two sets of plans that they have fleshed out as the salary cap issue and Brees retirement are not catching them off guard.
Now what that means for the Saints, who knows. Is Payton going to want to draft a QB, bring in a FA which may be difficult, or roll with Winston? Or will he want to go with Tebow/Dave Krieg reincarnation as Taysom Hill?

in all honesty I want to see Winston. If he can be more careful with his accuracy you won’t have Thomas whining about the safety coming up to beat up on the receivers.

Last edited:
I don't know how retirement works for post June rules.

You can announce retirement whenever. The June 1st cut can just be a bookkeeping type thing. I was curious myself a while back and found some other players have announced retirement immediately after a season and had their cut delayed to June 1st.

Now the whole reduced salary prior to June 1st thing getting thrown around adds another layer but I'm guessing it also won't matter.

At this point I’m hoping the team just makes the decision to let him go. I really don’t care if he thinks he needs to decide, he just need to not be on the roster next season. Sounds harsh, but he doesn’t have anything left in him to give to the team.

The decision has been made. The public announcement has not. Brees will retire. The team is extending to him the courtesy of letting him announce the decision some time after the season when he wishes to announce it. But both Brees and the organization know it is time.

The decision has been made. The public announcement has not. Brees will retire. The team is extending to him the courtesy of letting him announce the decision some time after the season when he wishes to announce it. But both Brees and the organization know it is time.

Was just about to post this. With one glaring exception (and, frankly, I don’t blame him) he’s been extremely good at public relations and maximizing benefit. What good to announce retirement now? All eyes are on the Super Bowl. If he waits until after the Super Bowl, he likely gets an entire media cycle to himself.

All signs point to him retiring. Looking back at the field as he walked into the tunnel, staying on the field with his wife and kids 2 hours after the game is over. I don't think he did any of that last season. Then you have the report from Glazer before the game that it was Bree's last game in the Superdome and he's tight with Payton and his reports are usually spot on. He's retiring. Its just a matter of making it official with an announcement.

Just my opinion, because I'm not in the meeting rooms or see how he performs in practice, only live games. If not for the injuries the last two seasons, would he have the stamina to go all season long? We've seen him play half a season, two seasons in a row? If not for injury, does he play all season with top athleticism or does the tank empty out in week 11-12? We don't know, he comes back from injury refreshed and looks sharp. Then the playoffs come and his passes just look slow, he doesn't zip the ball in tight windows anymore, the easy passes are now difficult. From that view alone, he needs to hang it up. He's a legend and all legends have to retire sooner or later. Did the injuries play a part in this? We don't know for sure. If Brees could throw it deep, why wasn't he? Receiver separation? Playcalling? Arm strength? We, as fans can speculate all we want but we don't know for certain. The one pass for 50 yards does not cancel out the deep ball question. Did that pass come with some extreme pain so he decided to say "screw that, that hurt"? Torn rotator cuff all year? So many variables

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom