Should Harper get a shot as punt returner (1 Viewer)

In Reggie's defense, he hasn't had much room to work with on Punt Returns. Most guys who return punts for touchdowns get past the first line of defense with the help of blocking (or bad angles from coverage units/gunners). Reggie hasn't had that yet. Be patient, it'll come.

He was 1 juke away from taking one to the house.

A -2 yard loss or 5 yard gain isn't going to hurt our offense..calm down people.

When you don't have much room out there on punt returns or there's no blocking, there's something called a "fair catch." Try it, Reggie ... never mind. Maybe Moore or Harper will get a chance to try it.

ill take the guy who is one of the best in the league in Reggie Bush. You have to look at the number of kicks that have been shanked or kicked short as the punters try to directional kick the ball to bush. Thats giving us GOOD field position. Again, as i've said in the past look at ALL the great returners in the leage (Hester, Cribbs, Roscoe Parrish) they ALL run EAST and WEST when theres nothing right up the middle to try and break it. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Heck, Parrish did that a few times yesterday. When you have a returner that its in their nature to always go for the homerun, they are gonna lose you 5-10 yards sometimes. you live with it, b/c you know at any moment they could break one for 7.

I'll take reggie back their anyday, not only cuz he can take it too the house, but all the HIDDEN field position we Gain by directional kicks that we WILL NOT gain if harper's back there.
Exactly. Also, why tie up a game day roster spot with Harper when that is all he will do (and is not very experienced at doing it).

Clearly Rod Harper also has the ability to take it to the house. This discussion is moot until Harper is active for a game. I thought with Moore out, that might be the case, but they activated Chase D. instead.

I don't see what the big deal is, ever since the first game he has not done anything to hurt us. Now, if he would have actually been able to make his way through the defender and touch the ball on the ground yesterday then I would have been upset. I still don't know what that was about.

Thats just not true. Hes had several punts with plenty field in front of him and room to go. But has hesitated, stuttered stepped and gone back to that crap he did his rookie year where he rather run in circles and go sideways then just turning on the jets and going forward.

Hes become a creture of habit and that habit is looking for the homerun play which has actually led to having the opposite effect.

Where in the world do you get that? When did you see this opening? So, you are saying that he is purposely avoiding wide open holes with "plenty field in front of him and room to go" just for the heck of it? Wow! I know people want to bash the guy for any and everything, but now some are making things up?

No it makes sense....he has 25 yards of open grass and he just wanted to run around in circles until they got closer...

Where in the world do you get that? When did you see this opening? So, you are saying that he is purposely avoiding wide open holes with "plenty field in front of him and room to go" just for the heck of it? Wow! I know people want to bash the guy for any and everything, but now some are making things up?
I didnt say opening, or that he had gapping holes that he ignored, with plenty of field in front of him. I said field in front of him and room to go. He was punted several balls that were in the middle of the field that werent perfect punts where the coverage was not already at him when he caught it and had he not stuttered, hesitated or went sideways he could have gotten positive return yards.

Reggie is hesitating like he did in his rookie year. he isnt just turning on the jets and just going north and south the way he did in Minny and at times last season when it finally "clicked" for him. Anyone who cant see the regression is utterlly blinded by saints colored glasses.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom